Coyotes hire Arena Consultant - News in Two Weeks or Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Has anyone thought about the future of Talking Stick Arena because of all this talk? It's still a damn good arena, just like GRA.

They've already done about as much as they can with the canvas provided. It will be converted into a much needed urban mall if the new one is placed where Phoenix wants it (right across the street).

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I can't imagine any arena management company making a deal without having an agreement with the Yotes first. That changes the whole landscape of the deal. You can't sell the naming rights or book events without knowing if you have your main tenant and primary draw locked up. What a cluster **** Glendale has turned this into. They got what they wanted and just had to negotiate a long term deal at what would have been terms they said they wanted when they broke the last deal. I still say this is all about Mayor Weird and his cronies getting paid off. It's certainly not about what's best for the city and Westgate. They already proved that in their dealings with the Cards and the money they've pissed away on spring training.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I can't imagine any arena management company making a deal without having an agreement with the Yotes first. That changes the whole landscape of the deal. You can't sell the naming rights or book events without knowing if you have your main tenant and primary draw locked up. What a cluster **** Glendale has turned this into. They got what they wanted and just had to negotiate a long term deal at what would have been terms they said they wanted when they broke the last deal. I still say this is all about Mayor Weird and his cronies getting paid off. It's certainly not about what's best for the city and Westgate. They already proved that in their dealings with the Cards and the money they've pissed away on spring training.

You could be right. The management company might have all the leverage, especially knowing the Coyotes and Cardinals will not put in a bid. Glendale made their bed, now let them sleep in it.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Sucks there will be a beautiful empty arena in Glendale 17 months from now. On the positive side, Talking Stick Resort Arena is a lot closer to me and would save me 40 minutes going to the game and 20 minutes leaving the game. At Talking Stick Resort Arena, I will be going to a lot more games. I don't even mind sitting in "restricted views" seating if the price is fair.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'm not surprised by the latest news and not even more surprised by the consistent throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks in order for others to take a dump on the franchise.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Oh I wouldn't say that man. Most likely they won't, but given this saga?

In fact, I'd have to say, I think Glendale is still most likely, if the team remains.

If you're the new arena manager, coming in from the outside - the first thing you're doing is going to the Coyotes and asking them "so, 42 guaranteed dates...what'll it take?" I mean, everyone's assuming the answer's gonna be the wrong answer, but what if it isn't?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Oh I wouldn't say that man. Most likely they won't, but given this saga?

In fact, I'd have to say, I think Glendale is still most likely, if the team remains.

You never know, but I think the Coyotes have had it with Glendale, unless there is a different council. Time will tell, but I think they relocate somewhere in Phoenix.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you're the new arena manager, coming in from the outside - the first thing you're doing is going to the Coyotes and asking them "so, 42 guaranteed dates...what'll it take?" I mean, everyone's assuming the answer's gonna be the wrong answer, but what if it isn't?

I think the answer would not be the one they want to hear. Glendale thinks they can manage without the Coyotes, so all the more power to them. Any arena manager is going to have a tough time of it with the Coyotes gone and going up against other facilities in the valley including the new arena. This new arena for the Suns, and hopefully the Coyotes will be so far more advanced than the GRA that Glendale will have to spend a fortune to update the GRA to compete for events.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You never know, but I think the Coyotes have had it with Glendale, unless there is a different council. Time will tell, but I think they relocate somewhere in Phoenix.

Let's be frank here - if the Coyotes "have had it" with Glendale, then that's a level of chutzpah on a planetary scale. They extorted $15M/year in subsidies from the city, they didn't bother to do much of any communicating with the council outside of little comedies played out on the public access channel during council meetings or dropping passive-aggressive tidbits to the papers, and they conclusively failed to meet certain milestones of their revenue payments based on the audit conducted. Not to mention the whole "hiring Glendale insiders" thing that still mystifies me.

Glendale is being run by a bunch of rubes and clowns, but IceArizona has been a poor partner acting on bad faith. Their PR campaign in the media is all show and no substance right now. The only valid options that exist, IMO, are either staying in Glendale, getting reamed up the five-hole by the Suns at Talking Stick, or packing up and heading to Vegas, QC, or Seattle with a raft-full of excuses fluttering behind them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Let's be frank here - if the Coyotes "have had it" with Glendale, then that's a level of chutzpah on a planetary scale. They extorted $15M/year in subsidies from the city, they didn't bother to do much of any communicating with the council outside of little comedies played out on the public access channel during council meetings or dropping passive-aggressive tidbits to the papers, and they conclusively failed to meet certain milestones of their revenue payments based on the audit conducted. Not to mention the whole "hiring Glendale insiders" thing that still mystifies me.

Glendale is being run by a bunch of rubes and clowns, but IceArizona has been a poor partner acting on bad faith. Their PR campaign in the media is all show and no substance right now. The only valid options that exist, IMO, are either staying in Glendale, getting reamed up the five-hole by the Suns at Talking Stick, or packing up and heading to Vegas, QC, or Seattle with a raft-full of excuses fluttering behind them.

Both are at fault no doubt, but Glendale agreed to pay the Coyotes $15 mil/yr, so if you want to call that extortion so be it, I don't. As far as communicating and meeting milestones etc. is all assumptions and we do not know the exact truth because we were not there.

I don't believe the Coyotes are leaving for one second.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Oh man, I gotta admit, I got a little nervous, and took this seriously for a minute, until I looked at the guys Twitter account. :laugh:

Yeah, it's not very impressive for a reporter, is it? But he DOES work for a Glendale paper and he did say he's writing up a story on this.

Back in July after the council meeting on the amended AMULA he was crowing about how Leblanc convinced him that the team is staying in Arizona. Guy seems to flip flop more than a beached tuna.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
From a reporter from the Glendale Star:

IA has to look at all options if they want to remain owners of the Coyotes.
I'm convinced they are not going back to Glendale with the current bunch of Keystone Kops running the city.

Remember they were given permission by the league last summer to talk to other cities about moving immediately when the lease was cancelled.. Hartford was one city they talked to.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
IA has to look at all options if they want to remain owners of the Coyotes.
I'm convinced they are not going back to Glendale with the current bunch of Keystone Kops running the city.

Remember they were given permission by the league last summer to talk to other cities about moving immediately when the lease was cancelled.. Hartford was one city they talked to.

Who trusts someone with the handle "AmerNtMare" for serious news?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's not worth talking about until someone with a reputation to worry about reports it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's not worth talking about until someone with a reputation to worry about reports it.

It's not worth talking about or worrying about until the moving vans arrive. If the moving vans arrive in the next couple of years it will be moving from Glendale to another city in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad