Friedman: Coyotes gauging the market on Chychrun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It’s one thing to keep the high end young players/prospects off the table for someone like Miller. Chychrun is a different story. A trade is going to hurt. Too young and too much term at too good of a number.

Reactions: Schemp and bsu

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Don't understand why they want to trade him, could be a nice piece to a rebuild, still young. Maybe he wants out.
The Coyotes won't trade him unless it's an overpayment. Most fans don't want the trade to happen and all that's been reported is GMBA saying he has taken calls on Chychrun, which only means teams want him, and it's his job to listen, but a couple of calls got him to think about it, which to us AZ fans mean teams are willing to overpay. I hope this helps clarify it.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Schneider will not be moved, Honestly I would be looking to get Chychrun only to then move him for a young Center.

Schneider, Cuylie and Othmann are cost controlled assets the Rangers can not afford to move. If the Rangers are moving Lundkvist & Kravtsov in a package for Chychrun what else would have to be in the package? I believe Chychrun would enable the Rangers to land the young #2 center the franchise needs

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I feel like trade talks with Chychrun have slowed down since Klingberg went on the market.

It could just be the media moving on to a shiny new toy.

I’m not sure there’s much crossover between the two markets. Handedness is the biggest thing. Klingberg will cost less and thus appeal to in window teams that don’t have the expendable assets for Chychrun. L.A., part of a narrower set that can actually afford him, probably doesn’t have the same sense of urgency to push the envelope now where it is competitively.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That’s significantly worse, IMO. I’d probably accept the NYR package. That SJS package is a VERY easy pass for me.

I get that there may be a difference but I don't see it as substantial at this stage. The Sharks pick is looking much better than the Rangers pick and while the prospects favor New York, I can't imagine it's by very much at this stage.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don't understand why they want to trade him, could be a nice piece to a rebuild, still young. Maybe he wants out.
Feeling is that with the rebuild that Chychrun’s numbers (especially offensively on a team that is essentially incapable of scoring) will suffer when it’s time for him to cash in as a UFA.

Keep in mind AZ isn’t shopping him. They set a price and it’s a high one. Same thing they did with Dvorak and Keumper earlier this year. Unless the price is paid the Coyotes will hold onto Chychrun. Simple as that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I get that there may be a difference but I don't see it as substantial at this stage. The Sharks pick is looking much better than the Rangers pick and while the prospects favor New York, I can't imagine it's by very much at this stage.
It’s extremely substantial. I wouldn’t trade Schneider and Othmann as a pair for the trio of Sharks assets you offered. To me, the value is off by at least an additional 1st.

EDIT: I’m probably in the minority on that, though. Some personal bias. I wanted Ozzy with AZ’s 2nd before the league took it away. I really like him. I just don’t think he’s got top-line upside. I see a good, energetic 3rd line winger. I might trade one of our five 2nds for him. I’d trade one of our five 2nds for Merkley, too. But I wouldn’t trade the CAR or COL 1sts for him probably. I’m not a believer. Again, most would trade a pick in the late 20s for him pretty easily. I’d hesitate, personally.

Reactions: Mosby

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It’s extremely substantial. I wouldn’t trade Schneider and Othmann as a pair for the trio of Sharks assets you offered. To me, the value is off by at least an additional 1st.

EDIT: I’m probably in the minority on that, though. Some personal bias. I wanted Ozzy with AZ’s 2nd before the league took it away. I really like him. I just don’t think he’s got top-line upside. I see a good, energetic 3rd line winger. I might trade one of our five 2nds for him. I’d trade one of our five 2nds for Merkley, too. But I wouldn’t trade the CAR or COL 1sts for him probably. I’m not a believer. Again, most would trade a pick in the late 20s for him pretty easily. I’d hesitate, personally.

That's fair. If you're not a believer, you're simply not going to value them as highly. I don't think Schneider is going to be top end. I tend to think he's 2nd pairing level but he's got talent. So does Merkley. Othmann is certainly more valuable than Wiesblatt. I do think his top side is top six winger maybe with top line potential but I tend to think Wiesblatt has that too but to a lesser extent. Saying 3rd line energy is not objectionable to me either and there's a value difference there. The Sharks pick is also looking like an early-to-mid teens pick compared to the mid-20's for the Rangers and there's a significant value difference there that's probably an early 2nd.

But I understand your view point and I don't think it's an objectionable opinion to have. I know for damn sure it's a tough hill to climb to try and get anyone of Chychrun's caliber without Eklund but he's our only future piece of noticeable value due to his skills. They can't afford to let him go while they're trying to refresh or do whatever the hell it is the Sharks are doing these days. lol

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That's fair. If you're not a believer, you're simply not going to value them as highly. I don't think Schneider is going to be top end. I tend to think he's 2nd pairing level but he's got talent. So does Merkley. Othmann is certainly more valuable than Wiesblatt. I do think his top side is top six winger maybe with top line potential but I tend to think Wiesblatt has that too but to a lesser extent. Saying 3rd line energy is not objectionable to me either and there's a value difference there. The Sharks pick is also looking like an early-to-mid teens pick compared to the mid-20's for the Rangers and there's a significant value difference there that's probably an early 2nd.

But I understand your view point and I don't think it's an objectionable opinion to have. I know for damn sure it's a tough hill to climb to try and get anyone of Chychrun's caliber without Eklund but he's our only future piece of noticeable value due to his skills. They can't afford to let him go while they're trying to refresh or do whatever the hell it is the Sharks are doing these days. lol
SJose has such a strong blueline I don’t think Chychrun is an immediate priority but that being said their management may view a 23 year old top pairing D with significant term who just finished top 10 in Norris voting as being too good to pass up.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
SJose has such a strong blueline I don’t think Chychrun is an immediate priority but that being said their management may view a 23 year old top pairing D with significant term who just finished top 10 in Norris voting as being too good to pass up.

That statement is a bit of a head scratcher to me.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's not an immediate priority because the Sharks don't seem to really have one of those but I'd like someone that can play with Karlsson that is more established than the likes of Jake Middleton or Jaycob Megna. Granted, they have performed admirably when called upon but someone with a little more versatility to their game across from Karlsson would probably make the team better and more consistent. Right now, the Sharks are running Ferraro across Burns, Megna or Middleton with Karlsson, and Vlasic with Merkley. It's obvious which side to attack offensively and who to worry about defensively. I'd like for them to have someone on the left side that you actually need to note is there when they're on the ice. It'll help balance the lineup a lot but is it worth the cost is always what it comes down to and who knows with the Sharks since they're not really rebuilding and they're not really competing.

Reactions: hbk

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Based on what Eichel returned:
1st round pick
Robertson - high upside NHL ready prospect
Sandin - current impact player
4 mil in cap

Sandin isn’t as good as Tuch however his potential is probably a bit higher.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1st round pick
4 mil in cap

I like Krebs and Tuch’s value much more than Robertson and Sandin’s, personally. However, thats just me. :dunno:

I wanted Krebs when AZ traded up for Soderstrom at 11th overall. So I’m maybe higher on Krebs than most.

Also, Vegas included a 2nd, IIRC.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That statement is a bit of a head scratcher to me.
I was legitimately being complimentary. I don’t believe Chychrun as being a priority for the Sharks given with what they already have on the books at that position.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
1st round pick
4 mil in cap

This range of offer has been discussed. The 1st will be pretty late. I would rather get Knies than Robertson. Probably add a conditional pick (going to the Coyotes) based on playoff success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad