Coyotes for Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
If simple outsiders like us can look at a situation and discuss it, then surely accountants with detailed financial information can look at it, and come to an agreement that both sides are happy with.

how simple ... dont try and brush this very real issue under the rug by poo poo'ng it.

pro linkage people should have to justify the details of how to address it.

dr

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson said:
I keep telling people Gretzky is absolutely clueless about what exactly he is doing and here is another reason why.

You're going to need to elaborate on this.

Sammy*

DementedReality said:
how simple ... dont try and brush this very real issue under the rug by poo poo'ng it.

pro linkage people should have to justify the details of how to address it.

dr
I dunno, you seem to very easily say its too difficult to be done when it has been done in other pro sports. Maybe you'r the one who should do the research & tell us all why its not feasible, notwithstanding other pro leagues have it.
I cant imagine this massive difficulty that you seem to think exists has anything to do with your avowed disgust with revenue sharing, now would it?

Sammy*

PhoPhan said:
You're going to need to elaborate on this.
Ya think his hiring of Barnett, the signing/trading for as many ex-oilers as he can get his hands on & the absolutly idiotic signings of Savage, Amonte,& Claude (I think), may be pretty good indicators.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Sammy said:
I dunno, you seem to very easily say its too difficult to be done when it has been done in other pro sports.

the only league close to what the NHL wants for a cap doesnt have any corporate owners. in other words, there is no precedence for how a cable company pruchases and accounts for tv rights from a team it also owns within a linkage system.

dr

A Good Flying Bird*

Sammy said:
Of course they havnt. They cant afford to. Thats where the NHLPA fans just cant seem to get it.

Yes they bloody well can.

They can move to a luxury tax. A luxury tax punitive enough to reduce bidding wars for UFAs.
That is all they need.

If things were so bad, Bettman should have started fixing things when the last CBA was up.

But the league was too greedy, living off expansion fees, and decided to live it up for another 4 years.

In the meantime, they began preparing for a 2004 lockout. A plan that obviously centered on crushing the PA at the labour board, which means the league had every intention of shutting the league down for an entire year.
And while Bettman was preparing for the year long lockout, he continued to neglect the product.
Now the NHL is the only major team sport that gets ZERO in upfront television revenue from the networks.

Bettman is reckless. He's done a terrible job.

The fact that we've even gotten to where we are, and the fact that you support the lockout, is evidence enough that this man has badly managed the league.
That's what we have in common (unless, of course, you believe Bettman should be held harmless for the league's woes. WHich would be pretty darn stupid, which I am sure you aren't).

Where we differ is on the fix.

I say a luxury tax will reduce demand for UFAs and bring down salaries all around the league.
Once the NHL agrees to a luxury tax, and moves off the cap, the PA will be forced to agree to a pretty stiff tax.

But you seem to think that a hard cap, tied to revenues is the only way to go.
Lots of you guys do, though you really don't say why.

As most professional sports-business writers know, Bettman's cost-certainty hard cap has more to do with equity and franchise resale value than it does with allowing teams to keep star players and compete with other teams.

But that's not a good PR selling point.
A luxury tax, set at the right numbers, will bring down salaries and help smaller teams compete.
You could probably convince the PA to sign a Luxury Tax deal that would save teams millions and millions of dollars.

So why are we holding out?
We're holding out because your franchise is worth more when the union is busted.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Newsguyone said:
We're holding out because your franchise is worth more when the union is busted.

If the union is busted, the owners can't impose anything like a salary cap, or have a draft, or have any restraint on player movement whatsoever. How does that increase franchise value?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Newsguyone said:
Yes they bloody well can.

They can move to a luxury tax. A luxury tax punitive enough to reduce bidding wars for UFAs.
That is all they need.

What happened to the "UFA's don't drive up salaries" mantra?

A Good Flying Bird*

PecaFan said:
What happened to the "UFA's don't drive up salaries" mantra?

If you are responding to me, which is apparently the case, why don't you ask me about a mantra that I may have ever uttered.
I've never said UFA's don't drive up salaries.
Of course they do.

Quit being such an attack dog. Or, if you must, attack people who are spewing the kind of tripe you just spewed to me.
Leave me out of it. I'm here to argue issues, not to demonize anyone.

A Good Flying Bird*

mudcrutch79 said:
If the union is busted, the owners can't impose anything like a salary cap, or have a draft, or have any restraint on player movement whatsoever. How does that increase franchise value?

Do you have any rationale behind that statement?
I'm not talking about getting rid of the union, I'm talking about busting the union and then having it come back as a weak, roll-over institution, like the one in the NFL.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Newsguyone said:
Do you have any rationale behind that statement?

Yeah, it's the law. If you don't have a union with whom you're agreeing on certain restraints of trade, you're colluding and liable for huge damages. The existence of the NHLPA benefits the owners, believe it or not.

I'm not talking about getting rid of the union, I'm talking about busting the union and then having it come back as a weak, roll-over institution, like the one in the NFL.

As nice a dream as that may be for Bettman and Co., do you think it's actually going to happen? Is that a realistic goal? I don't think it is, not for one moment, and think that the players would decertify before they would be an NFLPA type union. What's in it for the players to be an NFLPA type association as opposed to simply blowing up the union?

Wetcoaster

mudcrutch79 said:

They can in the US IF they can declare a bargaining impasse, impose a CBA and get it by the US NLRB. Canada is a whole other issue however since there is no bargaining impasse/imposed CBA procedure (and scabs cannot be used under any circumstances in Bc or Quebec and possibly Ontario if new changes to the Labour Code are passed as planned). Also the Competition Act provides:

Conspiracy relating to professional sport
48. (1) Every one who conspires, combines, agrees or arranges with another person

(a) to limit unreasonably the opportunities for any other person to participate, as a player or competitor, in professional sport or to impose unreasonable terms or conditions on those persons who so participate, or

(b) to limit unreasonably the opportunity for any other person to negotiate with and, if agreement is reached, to play for the team or club of his choice in a professional league

is guilty of an indictable offence and liable on conviction to a fine in the discretion of the court or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.

Matters to be considered
(2) In determining whether or not an agreement or arrangement contravenes subsection (1), the court before which the contravention is alleged shall have regard to

(a) whether the sport in relation to which the contravention is alleged is organized on an international basis and, if so, whether any limitations, terms or conditions alleged should, for that reason, be accepted in Canada; and

(b) the desirability of maintaining a reasonable balance among the teams or clubs participating in the same league.

Application
(3) This section applies, and section 45 does not apply, to agreements and arrangements and to provisions of agreements and arrangements between or among teams and clubs engaged in professional sport as members of the same league and between or among directors, officers or employees of those teams and clubs where the agreements, arrangements and provisions relate exclusively to matters described in subsection (1) or to the granting and operation of franchises in the league, and section 45 applies and this section does not apply to all other agreements, arrangements and provisions thereof between or among those teams, clubs and persons.

Sammy*

DementedReality said:
the only league close to what the NHL wants for a cap doesnt have any corporate owners. in other words, there is no precedence for how a cable company pruchases and accounts for tv rights from a team it also owns within a linkage system.

dr
Well then , I guess they would just have to figure this out, now wouldnt they.
I really dont even know why you even argue on this point, under the guise that it is waaay toooo difficult to figure out , when both you & I know that your real argument is you have some philisophical revulsion for revenue sharing.
Try calling a spade a spade & dont try to clothe your position in something its not.

Brent Burns Beard