Coyotes for Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
interesting story about the season ticket holders being at 2,000. very interesting indeed...

YellHockey*

Sammy said:
Yeah I am, but so is the fact that one owner is been investigated, to say nothing of even been convicted, to imply that ownership as a group are not honest.

Not one.

Just another to add to the list of owners who have been investigated for accounting irregularities that includes current owners in Ottawa, LA, and Long Island.

YellHockey*

LadyStanley said:
The original story (that TSN quoted):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20041231/COYOTES31/TPSports/Hockey

Appears that part of the problem is that the STH base has gone from 16k to 2k.

And "10" teams are quietly on the market.

I wonder if the Coyotes are one of those teams that are losing less money by locking out the players?

And if so, I'm sure that their STH base of 2k has nothing to do with the lockout.

Way to grow the game, Gary!

A Good Flying Bird*

Sammy said:
What are you talking about? An owner is been investigated. He hasnt been convicted. You somehow extrapolate the fact he is being investigated to show show some sort of moral turpitude on behalf of all the owners.
One might as well use all the drug busts, DUI's, vehicular homocides (whether convicted or not) & god knows what else to paint all the players with one brush, its about as relevent. I thought you might be able to figure that out from my post. Alas, I was wrong.
Your bias is a joke. The least you could do would be to make sense in the process.

Take a look at the Rob Ray thread. The bias goes both ways.
Of course people are biased.
Anyway, lots of big business characters are shady. And it seems like pro-sports seems to attract the shady businessmen (Adelphis, Bruce McCall)
Of course Alan Eagleson of the PA was about as shady as they come. He's the perfect example of what happens when the union gets to close to the league.

I'd LOVE to see what an investigation of the NFL players union would turn up.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Sammy said:
Yeah I am, but so is the fact that one owner is been investigated, to say nothing of even been convicted, to imply that ownership as a group are not honest. .

you say "one" like its isolated. Do you really need me to list the recent names of owners implicated in securities violations and other financial misdoings ?

Sammy said:
the owners are not at liberty with the current CBA to make a say,a 5 year contract terminable on 30 days notice, .

in which circumstance do you think this would be justified ?

Sammy said:
nor can they put in most contract's that the guy can be sent to the minors .

its called a 2 way contract. all QO's are two way deals, if the team chooses.

Sammy said:
So there is hardly what one could characterize as freedom of contract.

didnt DET effectivly cancel Uwe Krupp's contract due to breaches on his part ?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Sammy said:
Yeah I am, but so is the fact that one owner is been investigated, to say nothing of even been convicted, to imply that ownership as a group are not honest.
And in terms of a contract been a contract, true enough but the owners are not at liberty with the current CBA to make a say,a 5 year contract terminable on 30 days notice, nor can they put in most contract's that the guy can be sent to the minors . So there is hardly what one could characterize as freedom of contract.

How do you explain Sanjay Kumar being indicted and on trail for fraud right now in NY? How do you explain that not one but 4 vice presidents directly connected to LA's owner, as a matter of fact direct reports, were all just sent to jail for fraud, the FBI is still investigating to find the link to LA's owner. Need we go on, how about Ottawa's owner?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
no13matssundin said:
Are they for sale?

Hope so. Then we can contract their useless-non-hockey market butts. Or move them back to Winnipeg.
How much you want to bet they don't get moved or contracted?! Dream on miser!!

It'll never happen but if I somehow get so much money that I can buy a pro team on a whim, I'm going to buy the Maple Leafs and move them to Kansas City.

The Kansas City Maple Leafs...I like that sound of that.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Sammy, there is absolutely no point arguing with the guy, he's a cheerleader and will only seek to antagonize you every chance he gets. I mean look at his first post, he starts out trying to goad people into these petty little arguments. In most forums he'd be considered a troll. If you go with him long enough, in will come his buddies with the colored names and you'll have a full cheerleading squad with which to contend! :beatup:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It sure sounds like Phoenixes majority owners problems arise from his trucking company, and the slow real estate development. Yet it is held up as another reason a salary cap is needed. Juts like Ottawa. LA, and Buffalo, their ownership problems seem not to stem primarily from hockey.

I too found it interesting that Anaheim looks to have been sold too. Like Vancouver, teams being sold befor the cba is done. I reckon Bettman could also make the franhise value look artificially high after the sale. In the business pages anyway. In the sports pages he bemoans their struggles. I guess we get to pick the lie of his we want to believe.

The developers chose glendale because they paid the arena bribe. But now its too far. Fans will make the drive 8 times on a Sunday afternoon for a football game, but not weeknights for a hockey game 40 times. Maybe the NFL cap would help. Obviously the problem with phoenix is greedy player salaries.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
coyoteshockeyfan said:
:shakehead

And what has Winnipeg done to deserve a team over Phoenix? The correct response is "nothing."

well, winnipeg did have 35,000 people at a "save the jets" rally.

if the unfortunate happens, and coyotes ownership investigates the possibility of relocation, perhaps phoenix will show similar support.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
DementedReality said:
its called a 2 way contract. all QO's are two way deals, if the team chooses.

QUOTE]

to offer a 2-way QO a player has to have played under a specific number of games in the past year or 2 years.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
hawker14 said:

if the unfortunate happens, and coyotes ownership investigates the possibility of relocation, perhaps phoenix will show similar support.
Not to dismiss the passion of the city for hockey but my ex-girlfriend and all her litttle friends were at that rally and they cared nothing for the Jets. In fact the only player she could name was Teamu and only cause she thought the name was cute. Granted that is probably why she lives in Phoenix now...they kicked her out! :P

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
I just calculated my surplus for this month, and I think it's about $1400 bucks. Anyone wanna go in with me and snap this deal up???
i would totally match your 1400 bucks but i cant afford to lose 5 million dollars after the season so we're gonna need some cost certainty

coyoteshockeyfan

Mar 17, 2004
Coyote Country
hawker14 said:

Which doesnt count for much, unfortunately. And Phoenix would show similar support as Winnipeg if that happened? They have already done more for the franchise than Winnipeg ever did.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Which doesnt count for much, unfortunately. And Phoenix would show similar support as Winnipeg if that happened? They have already done more for the franchise than Winnipeg ever did.

well, if the 2,000 season ticket number is true, forgive me if i disagree.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
thinkwild said:
The developers chose glendale because they paid the arena bribe. But now its too far. Fans will make the drive 8 times on a Sunday afternoon for a football game, but not weeknights for a hockey game 40 times. Maybe the NFL cap would help. Obviously the problem with phoenix is greedy player salaries.

I doubt if their arena is any farther than the Corel Centre is from Ottawa, or that it takes any longer to reach Glendale than it does for Canadians to cross the bridge to go to Sabres games. They also don't have to buy a full season ticket package. There's a variety of packages available for people who can't go to all 40 games. Although the arena location is a factor, its impact can be overcome by icing an entertaining team, better marketing, and strategic alliances with public transportation. The arena itself, along with the new football stadium will generate economic development in the immediate area and expand the Coyotes local customer base. It won't happen overnight, but I suspect an adequately capitalized investor that participates in the development of the area will be making a bundle in 5-6 years.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
thinkwild said:
It sure sounds like Phoenixes majority owners problems arise from his trucking company, and the slow real estate development.

LOL at the NHLPAers who were arguing that the players should get a cut of the realestate deals and other non-hockey related ventures. Don't see to many players putting up their hands for slice of the debt from any dud deal. Maybe if Yotes loss $200m in land deals then it'll come off the salary cap for the league?

Honestly, what better example do you need to seperate hockey and non-hockey revenue.

Sammy*

vanlady said:
How do you explain Sanjay Kumar being indicted and on trail for fraud right now in NY? How do you explain that not one but 4 vice presidents directly connected to LA's owner, as a matter of fact direct reports, were all just sent to jail for fraud, the FBI is still investigating to find the link to LA's owner. Need we go on, how about Ottawa's owner?
I dunno, how do you explain the number of coke heads, drunk drivers, income tax cheats, assaulters, wife beaters, philaderers, contract breakers, hit man seekers, vehicular homiciders...etc that all play in the NHL?
Need I go on or should we now talk about Bob Goodenough's very good friend, David Frost?

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Sammy said:
I dunno, how do you explain the number of coke heads, drunk drivers, income tax cheats, assaulters, wife beaters, philaderers, contract breakers, hit man seekers, vehicular homiciders...etc that all play in the NHL?
Need I go on or should we now talk about Bob Goodenough's very good friend, David Frost?

Sammy do you understand that coke heads, drunk drivers, income tax cheats, assaulters, wife beaters, philaderers, contract breakers, hit man seekers, vehicular are not RELATED on the CBA ISSUES while FINANCE is the MAJOR POINT of why the NHLPA won't trust the owners.

When 25% of the OWNERS are known for being investigate for FINANCIAL CRIMES & that they ask the NHLPA to believe their NHL NUMBER'$ , it's very relevant on why the NHLPA does not want PARTNERSHIP ?

Can you understand that ?

Sammy*

DementedReality said:
in which circumstance do you think this would be justified ?

When the guy is playing like a pig, ie Yashin.

didnt DET effectivly cancel Uwe Krupp's contract due to breaches on his part ?

There is a very big difference between terminating a contract because of breaches & having the freedom to enter into all sorts of contracts. The fact of the matter is, the owners do not have thre freedom to enter into many sorts of contracts in which they could protect themselves. So no, the free market is not at work contrary to you & Goodenough, nor is there freedom of contract.

Feb 12, 2003
There is some truth and some fiction to the issue of moving the Coyotes arena from downtown Phoenix to Glendale. By freeway, the new arena is only about 20 minutes further, 30 minutes on a gamenight, so it's not like you are adding 1-2 hours to go to the game, it's just a little further. The new Cardinals (NFL) stadium is right next door to the Coyotes arena, and when that is open, and the area is fully developed, you'll see a population explosion in that area which is already quite healthy. There is an argument to be made that the currently largest growth area in the metro-Phoenix area is on the east side of town. If the east side wanted the arena that badly, they would have made more of an effort after the team failed to develop the arena in Scottsdale like it was originally planned.

The season ticket base is low right now, and it'll be tough to get back into the swing of things for the Coyotes when the game returns. The simple answer is to ice a winning hockey team, and the average Phoenix hockey fan will show up -- that's all they need. Keep in mind that the team has seen season ticket packages fall from 16K to 2K in the same span the Coyotes were fighting for home ice in the playoffs to getting lottery picks in the draft. In Phoenix, if you aren't winning, you aren't drawing -- hockey, football, basketball, baseball -- it's all the same.

Brent Burns Beard