Post-Game Talk: Coyotes def. Canucks - 4-3 (OT) (Miller, Garland, Pettersson)

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Difference in this game was ....GOALTENDING. Ingram terrific Silvos not good enough. Silvos was losing track of the puck all game. Main reason the Canucks have faltered is obvious - loss of Demko. Team better hope he is ready when he returns.

Good

Hughes - overstayed some shifts (one time leading to a goal against) but went into dynamo mode late and carried much of the comeback

Zadorov - another who lead the charge late. His rushes and up ice momentum were another critical factor getting the Canucks back in it. Seems so much untapped potential here. Shooting could have been better in this one.

Garland - once again our best forward. Better goal scorer than he is given credit for.

Blueger - just outstanding on the PK. Overall good defensive game. Just can't score.

Hronek - played a ton and was pretty much error free. Out of gas on the Penalty Shot (wish it had just been a penalty - would have ended the Yote PP and given us 4 on 3 with plenty of time - hated when the ref pointed at center)

Did Not like

Silvos - given how he looked coming into the season off the World Cup would say his season has been disappointing. Watching Abby don't know that Tolopilo isn't the better prspect. Silvos continues to look jittery and doesn't track the puck , at times, well at all.

Soucy - not finishing the season well. Big dropoff from form he showed through much of the season. Leaving gaps on defense too often as did Myers in this game.

Boeser - thought call was suspect and don't blame him much for it. However, he had so many chances to do something around the net and couldn't. Played some decent defense but you are never going to pay him for that. Team just affords him so many chances and he flubs too many. Did that consistently in this game.

Suter - did nothing all game and benched for much of it. Has done so little, for so long, you wonder if Podkolzin might be chosen over him.

Others

Pettersson - nice goal and maybe this gets him going. But for much of the time is just another player.

Lindholm - more in the play but still little finish on his shot or his passes. Still not looking like a top rung offensive player.

Guenter looked very good. I think underrated in his draft class. There for the Canucks to pick if they hadn't got involved in the Ekman- Larsen fiasco but likely Benning would have chosen someone else anyhow. Legacy (or curse) of good ole Elmer will play on for years.
being petty, but its Silovs .... and for the most part he has played fine.

Reactions: quat

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Was at the game and felt it was sort of bad luck / maybe bad goaltending that the Canucks controlled play for the majority of the game and ended up down 3-1. Good pushback to tie it up after the refs called maybe the weakest Myers penalty of all time (and he does indeed take stupid penalties) - not really loving that him calling out the refs has clearly put a target on his back. Refs are truly fascists.

Story of the late season is that they've somehow managed to improve their 5v5 control and lose their scoring touch, when it was kind of the opposite early. Still not really concerned, and a bit puzzled by the comments on Cole - I thought this was his best game in a while on the PK, and I'm usually a pretty harsh critic of his age-related decline.

Lindholm was also excellent defensively, particularly on the PK where he negated 2 or 3 Coyotes breakout attempts.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Full disclosure my PVR f***ed up and so I missed this game and only saw the extended highlights.

But speaking to the last stretch, it's hilarious to me how many people are panicking without understanding that we are basically getting the quality of goaltending that has the Flyers cratering out of a playoff spot and we are managing to tread water with it.

Our style changes with the backups because we don't trust them to make saves (and with good reason).

If we gave up 35 shots it's at least 6 goals against. Hence, we're containing teams incredibly well, but it hurts our ability to create our own grade A chances because we know that even a 3-on-2 is a puck in the net.

DeSmith has done a good job for a lot of the year, but he's gassed and lost his confidence. Silovs has enticing potential, but neither are remotely NHL quality goaltenders over the long haul.

It's apparent that we have moved to a more conservative system in order to protect them and they STILL give up like 3 goals on 15 shots most nights. That we're winning at all is impressive.

Also, when you're a player who watches your goalie let a bunch of gimmes into the net, it changes how you play. You start trying to do too much, you stop trusting that occupying your ice is enough, now you start trying to prevent the other team from getting any shots at all because doing the right thing (e.g. letting the other team get a shitty shot from outside) gets punished over and over, so you change your behaviour.

Silovs loses his net all of the time, at a non-NHL quality. Like so many goals he gives up he's covering the post and like 3 inches wide and giving away 2 or 3 inches of the net and against these shooters, that's enough to get absolutely ventilated.

Now, it's possible that playing to protect bad goalies has thrown us off our axis enough that we won't have time to get it back in which case the chicken littles can cluck to their heart's content.

But what will likely happen, and will happen moving forward into next year and beyond, is that with our superstar goaltender in net we can play a more balanced game and utilize the D we have shown while not being terrified of shots from anywhere, so we will generate more A+ chances.

I'm excited to see what's to come and I hope you are too.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Full disclosure my PVR f***ed up and so I missed this game and only saw the extended highlights.

But speaking to the last stretch, it's hilarious to me how many people are panicking without understanding that we are basically getting the quality of goaltending that has the Flyers cratering out of a playoff spot and we are managing to tread water with it.

Our style changes with the backups because we don't trust them to make saves (and with good reason).

If we gave up 35 shots it's at least 6 goals against. Hence, we're containing teams incredibly well, but it hurts our ability to create our own grade A chances because we know that even a 3-on-2 is a puck in the net.

DeSmith has done a good job for a lot of the year, but he's gassed and lost his confidence. Silovs has enticing potential, but neither are remotely NHL quality goaltenders over the long haul.

It's apparent that we have moved to a more conservative system in order to protect them and they STILL give up like 3 goals on 15 shots most nights. That we're winning at all is impressive.

Also, when you're a player who watches your goalie let a bunch of gimmes into the net, it changes how you play. You start trying to do too much, you stop trusting that occupying your ice is enough, now you start trying to prevent the other team from getting any shots at all because doing the right thing (e.g. letting the other team get a shitty shot from outside) gets punished over and over, so you change your behaviour.

Silovs loses his net all of the time, at a non-NHL quality. Like so many goals he gives up he's covering the post and like 3 inches wide and giving away 2 or 3 inches of the net and against these shooters, that's enough to get absolutely ventilated.

Now, it's possible that playing to protect bad goalies has thrown us off our axis enough that we won't have time to get it back in which case the chicken littles can cluck to their heart's content.

But what will likely happen, and will happen moving forward into next year and beyond, is that with our superstar goaltender in net we can play a more balanced game and utilize the D we have shown while not being terrified of shots from anywhere, so we will generate more A+ chances.

I think people are more frustrated with lineup combos because even with shoddy goaltender, there is no reason for some of the decisions Tocchet's made. Especially when he's stubbornly stuck to things like Lindholm on the third line when that wasn't working before Demko got injured. Yes, we're playing more conservative but are we suddenly going to, pardon the cliche, "flip a switch" come playoffs with lineups of PDG/Lindholm/Mikheyev?

Right now, and for the last month or so, we've been deploying lineups that are average at best. Tocchet doesn't strike me as the type to suddenly change things game 1.

Reactions: TruKnyte

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
They are in the playoffs.

They kept Arizona's shot way down which could be good
BUT
Arizona was keeping Canuck's shot way down too, this is bad.

What a sleeper for two periods, the Canucks looked chaotic at times. When watching the old Canucks or Vegas, Oilers and Avalanche those teams have what appears to be control whereas the Canucks looked like an old dump and chase team that was out of sync, timing was all wrong.

This was Arizona (Utah), no where near a playoff spot, a team that just got the news they be moving in the next 10 days, lot, stock and barrel. Distracted.

Silovs, I keep spelling his name wrong, may have got bored, 2 shots in the first period, then 2 goals on 9 shots, not all can attributed to him, that was a really bad give away by Hughes.

This is a big problem - 2:03 - 1:39 - 2:46 - 1:45 - 1:55 - 2:24.
These ice time will throw a team rhythm off, displace lines and maybe even piss some players off. TEAM that is not.
And if any player HAD to play that much then the team is massive trouble.
Every now and then a player will get caught due to period or incredible pressure but this often is symptom that could be taken as a lack of faith by coaches or the player himself.
This was Hughes ice time against the 26th place team in the league, he finished with 27:43 on the night. His last shift was 1:20.
For the whole night he had 3 shifts over 2 min and 11 shifts over a minute. Too many long shifts.

Just an observation

Maybe give Topolio a game, Demko isn't going to be ready, as it is they are rushing him.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Our goaltending has been losing us games. We are toast if Demko doesn't come back. We are getting roasted by crap teams like the Yotes, imagine Connor Mcdavid or Nathan Mackinnon entering our zone and attacking Silovs and Smith, we will get destroyed.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I only caught the late 3rd and OT, thought the team played well, but losing to the Yotes is disappointing. A lot of the breathing room we got from beating Vegas was lost by missing out on the full 2 points last night.

Not much to comment aside from 1) it was nice to see Petey smile again after his goal. It seems to have gotten his legs moving in OT on that rush with Hronek, hope he gets back to playing loose and having fun. 2) Speaking of Hronek, I thought he made a great read picking that puck off the blueline for a breakaway. But after speaking to everybody on the bench during the timeout, the best he came up with was a fake slapshot that no goalie is going to fall for? I almost rather he went through with the slapshot instead, it was not a very good move for a penalty shot.

At this point, I don't really think winning the division means a whole lot anymore. If we win it, we get either Kings, Preds or Knights. If we don't, we get either Kings or Knights. All 3 teams are quality opponents and there is no way to predict where they finish, so it doesn't matter much where we finish either (we get home ice anyways). Just hope everybody is healthy and ready for the playoff.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I think it's a tough ask to depend on Silov who is still 23 years old and a 6th round pick. It'll take him a few years to become a better goaltender since he has the size (6'4). It's hard to be critical of the young dude, I think Demko at 23 would be on the same boat if put in the same situation.

Edit: Actually NO.... Demko was 23/24 when he was a rock in that playoff bubble. Demko was something special.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Wasn't able to catch the game but Mikheyev with 11:40 minutes? Damn...I thought he was good vs Vegas. That's disappointing to see.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Yes the PVR's fault?

This sounds like a lot of excuses and finger pointing.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
The more I think about it the more cole myers in ot pk is absurd and amateur.

I expect more out of this coaching staff.
I agree.They need to put back the 3rd line of Blueger, Garland ,Joshua back .That line was killer.Also we paid a premium for Lindholm get him on the top 2 lines.Our special teams are going to be our downfall come playoffs if this coaching staff can't fix it.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The impression I get from the DeSmith signing...(which I think was a good one!)

We do not have a tender in the system that is at the journeyman age and is a capable backup.

We do have a couple younger guys that have starter potential but they need more work with Ian and more games.

We know DeSmith, and even though stylistically he doesn’t fit our longterm goalie model, he is worth bringing in as a goalie we know that will perform well relevant to salary costs AND not block the guys coming up through the system.

Now they need to find a new backup and get Silovs another year in the A.
So after, what, two crappy games we are giving up on DeSmith despite his otherwise stellar year this year? And now Silovs is rubbish after his FIRST loss of the season in his role as No.3? If Demko comes back and we suffer from similar results what will all the Demko followers say? You all know what they will say doncha...

I dont know.

We've got like .919 goaltending 5on5 and Demko isnt going to score for us.
This. Both DeSmith and Silovs have been playing very well considering the fact that the team in front of them is crumbling. Maybe Demko's return will galvanize the team into playing better but even if that happens it's a bad sign IMHO...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think DeSmith is fine as a backup behind Demko. But if he wants a raise with his numbers, you wish him well and move on.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Either this year or next year, Canucks have to draft a highly rated goalie. Can't just keep taking shots in the 5th, 6th, 7th rounds.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Team is 6-5-2 with the 4th worst goaltending in the league over that stretch, and they're going to get one of the best 3 goalies in the league this year back for the playoffs. The sky isn't falling, even if some of the line combos still look & feel a little funky. I'm very optimistic going into round 1 right now.

Thought the team controlled play really well last night - obviously unfortunate that the division is going down to the wire, but we own the relevant tiebreakers over the Oilers as well (RWs & ROWs). It can seem frustrating, but I'd much rather have the team playing like this than in 2012 when they went 8-1-1 to win the Presidents Trophy while looking generally mediocre down the stretch doing it.

Reactions: sting101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad