Post-Game Talk: Coyotes def. Canucks - 4-2

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
What was his poker analogy? I just leave the room during intermissions, it's the only way I can prevent myself from leaving the room during the play.

basically said pocket 10s isn't a great hand but one you want to see a flop with. then gives a flop K 8 3 and says it is time to toss your hand.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Idealistic: Eriksson, Goldobin, Virtanen and Motte off the team. Keep Schaller as the 13th forward

Realistic: Gaudette, Motte, Goldobin and Schaller off the team

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
loui making a solid late charge for waivers on the back 9
goldy beloved but gone
virtanen i just dont know what
chatfield gone
brisebois gone
graovac gone
mcewan better but gone

gaudette stays
schaller stays

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
That pass from Loui to spring the yotes 3 on 2 ozone rush was something special I tell you what.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Two thoughts. One. I said all last year that petey has only begun to scratch the surface. Wait till he puts on weight. I loved that reverse hit.

Two. Hughes looks like he should start in the A. I thought he’d be a stud as soon as he stepped in the ice but looks like I was wrong.

That will never happen on a Benning team.

Reactions: Dr Good Vibes

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Preseason started with an insipid performance and finished with one. That was a hard slog to watch.

- Pettersson was dangerous and Ferland did some good things but I still don’t really see a fit there.

- Leivo had a very, very quiet preseason. He’ll be on the team but shouldn’t have a lot of rope.

- Gaudette played well again early (and made some nice defensive plays) but that line struggled as the game went along as Baertschi was quiet and easily eliminated from the play and ...

- ... Eriksson. Wow. Just a disgraceful performance. Not sure what was worse, the turnovers nearly every time he touched the puck or his ghastly skating. I think I might be faster. This had better be his last game in a Canuck uniform.

- I expect Goldobin will be signing in the KHL next week after his contract is mutually terminated. Not even close to good enough. Lousy puck management continues.

- MacEwen had his best game, not a great preseason but at least ended it on a good note. Skated with a bit more purpose and nice finish on his goal.

- Graovac was ok but not nearly as good as last night. Looked slower in the 2nd night of a back-to-back.

- Beagle and Schaller had workmanlike 4th line games.

- Virtanen .... again just no intensity. Poor turnovers, offensive zone penalties, just not in sync with anything. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s traded in the next week.

- Myers-Edler were a bit of a fire drill defensively all night. Myers did have one of the more physical games I’ve seen from him.

- Hughes really struggled for 40 minutes but was much better in the 3rd. Didn’t fare well under a heavy forecheck and his lack of strength really showed.

- Chatfield-Brisebois more of the same. Lots of try but just can’t move the puck. Either probably would have looked better with a veteran partner.

- Markstrom was rock solid and this game could have been a lot uglier.

- Edler out on the #1 PP late when the team was looking for a tying goal tells you how that’s going to go when the season starts.

- Soderstrom looked really good for Arizona. Will be an interesting player to watch given he was taken immediately after Podkolzin.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Idealistic: Eriksson, Goldobin, Virtanen and Motte off the team. Keep Schaller as the 13th forward

Realistic: Gaudette, Motte, Goldobin and Schaller off the team

I agree.

Gaudette stole Virtanen's 3rd line position.
While Schaller played well enough to send Eriksson to the minors.
Biega should stick as the extra defenseman, taking Goldobin or Motte's spot.

If Benning and Green stand by their words, then Gaudette and Schaller should make the team. While Virtanen, Eriksson and Goldobin get cut.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
That will never happen on a Benning team.
Lol. I’m afraid your right but he looked so inconsistent out there all preseason, I legitimately hope he gets sent down. Jim really does need to learn that sometimes top prospects benefit from time in Utica...

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Eriksson should be sent out of a cannon for that performance. Instead, he'll probably start on the 3rd line or something.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Next 24 hours will be interesting. We’ll see just how serious they are about playoffs based on who gets cut/waived/makes it

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I don't understand how thinking that a rookie like Hughes should start in the AHL is an overreaction. There is a clear difference between how Pettersson or even Boeser looked in their first games compared to Hughes.

The issue is sending Hughes to the AHL makes Benn our #2 LD because our management decided to commit to Hughes 100% making the team out of camp.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
The gnashing over Myers contract will continue for some time, but it pales compared to Eriksson's - the worst in Canuck history in terms of value for $$$$$$.

At least Myers gives you EFFORT.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
My ideal opening night roster looks likes this I think..

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Pearson
Baertschi-Gaudette-Leivo
Virtanen-Beagle-Sutter

Extra: Motte

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers
Biega-Stecher

Extras: Fantenberg, Benn

Goldobin, Eriksson, Schaller cut.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
My ideal opening night roster looks likes this I think..

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Pearson
Baertschi-Gaudette-Leivo
Virtanen-Beagle-Sutter

Extra: Motte

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers
Biega-Stecher

Extras: Fantenberg, Benn

Goldobin, Eriksson, Schaller cut.
If only, if only.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He should make this team this year, he looks ready, not like last year. Love your commentary BG, keep it up. What would Gaudette making the team do to Utica? Will you guys be anemic at center again?

Go to the Comets page and read my posts on the last couple pages.the last couple pages. I said with or without Gaudette the Comets were shortchanged at center once again, They needed one more. We know Gaudette won't be there long, but the Comets would have 4 with him and no reserve. Take him away and then the Comets will only have 3 centers on the roster --- and one is Hamilton.

Have some center trouble in Vancouver and Graovac gets a call? The Comets have 2 centers and still no reserve. Go to the Comets page.

Reactions: Dr Good Vibes

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Go to the Comets page and read my posts on the last couple pages.the last couple pages. I said with or without Gaudette the Comets were shortchanged at center once again, They needed one more. We know Gaudette won't be there long, but the Comets would have 4 with him and no reserve. Take him away and then the Comets will only have 3 centers on the roster --- and one is Hamilton.

Have some center trouble in Vancouver and Graovac gets a call? The Comets have 2 centers and still no reserve. Go to the Comets page.
Ah so business as usual. Frustrating.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Preseason started with an insipid performance and finished with one. That was a hard slog to watch.

- Pettersson was dangerous and Ferland did some good things but I still don’t really see a fit there.

- Leivo had a very, very quiet preseason. He’ll be on the team but shouldn’t have a lot of rope.

- Gaudette played well again early (and made some nice defensive plays) but that line struggled as the game went along as Baertschi was quiet and easily eliminated from the play and ...

- ... Eriksson. Wow. Just a disgraceful performance. Not sure what was worse, the turnovers nearly every time he touched the puck or his ghastly skating. I think I might be faster. This had better be his last game in a Canuck uniform.

- I expect Goldobin will be signing in the KHL next week after his contract is mutually terminated. Not even close to good enough. Lousy puck management continues.

- MacEwen had his best game, not a great preseason but at least ended it on a good note. Skated with a bit more purpose and nice finish on his goal.

- Graovac was ok but not nearly as good as last night. Looked slower in the 2nd night of a back-to-back.

- Beagle and Schaller had workmanlike 4th line games.

- Virtanen .... again just no intensity. Poor turnovers, offensive zone penalties, just not in sync with anything. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s traded in the next week.

- Myers-Edler were a bit of a fire drill defensively all night. Myers did have one of the more physical games I’ve seen from him.

- Hughes really struggled for 40 minutes but was much better in the 3rd. Didn’t fare well under a heavy forecheck and his lack of strength really showed.

- Chatfield-Brisebois more of the same. Lots of try but just can’t move the puck. Either probably would have looked better with a veteran partner.

- Markstrom was rock solid and this game could have been a lot uglier.

- Edler out on the #1 PP late when the team was looking for a tying goal tells you how that’s going to go when the season starts.

- Soderstrom looked really good for Arizona. Will be an interesting player to watch given he was taken immediately after Podkolzin.

Your take on Chatfield /Brisebois is the same take I've posted on the Utica page. Neither of these guys is a steady d-man without a better player as a partner. It has been so true of Breezy since he arrived and it hasn't changed.

Chatfield has actually regressed, but he never was good in his own end. Can't control the puck or make a good first pass when under pressure. Always seeing to be running around and working so hard and accomplishing little. When Chatty is on the ice you will often see the Comets under siege. I think he is actually ECHL material.

The fact that the Comets haven't got a single veteran D-man is going to wreck havoc on their pairings. Briesbois and Sautner as the 2 most senior Vancouver D-men in town is not a good omen.

Last edited:
Reactions: go comets

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Lol. I’m afraid your right but he looked so inconsistent out there all preseason, I legitimately hope he gets sent down. Jim really does need to learn that sometimes top prospects benefit from time in Utica...

I think you would need a sledge hammer to drive that point into his skull. I have made such a statement since the rookie seasons of Virtanen and McCann.

Reactions: vanuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Good to get the pre season games out of the way..Looked like a lot of vets going through the motions...Lets get the meaningful games on the go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad