Confirmed with Link: Coyotes buy out Mike Ribeiro

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Newest burgeoning narrative on the main board is that it's all his wife's fault and he's an innocent victim.

If it were as simple as having marital problems, I am sure DM would have helped him get marital counseling. The way he was let go, sounds like more to the story (other influences not hockey related). I am sure Nashville knows this, but hopes Ribs is cleaned up now, and for 1 mill, not much risk given his skills.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Whatever the issues are, I hope they all get worked out, and he has success on and off the ice. Sad to see him go, but in the end if he was a cancer for this team, then better to see him go.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Whatever the issues are, I hope they all get worked out, and he has success on and off the ice. Sad to see him go, but in the end if he was a cancer for this team, then better to see him go.

Off the ice? Abso-effing-lutley. I truly hope he gets his real life back together.

On the ice? **** him. I hope this next season is his last in the NHL. I hope he crashes and burns. 9pts in late December. Waived, unclaimed, and suspended indefinitely for failure to report. Good bye NHL.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Off the ice? Abso-effing-lutley. I truly hope he gets his real life back together.

On the ice? **** him. I hope this next season is his last in the NHL. I hope he crashes and burns. 9pts in late December. Waived, unclaimed, and suspended indefinitely for failure to report. Good bye NHL.

Right there with you. **** him. He needed to be a professional for about 4 or 5 hours a day for what, 7 months or less? For $5 million! He screwed our franchise when he could have been a freaking hero here without much more than average effort. The only thing I want to see him doing in the NHL is getting up after being repeatedly checked off his feet by multiple Coyotes.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Right there with you. **** him. He needed to be a professional for about 4 or 5 hours a day for what, 7 months or less? For $5 million! He screwed our franchise when he could have been a freaking hero here without much more than average effort. The only thing I want to see him doing in the NHL is getting up after being repeatedly checked off his feet by multiple Coyotes.

While I can agree with RT and you in regards to the on ice things, things outside of work can have a huge impact. Is there a real story with what's going on off the ice for him?

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
While I can agree with RT and you in regards to the on ice things, things outside of work can have a huge impact. Is there a real story with what's going on off the ice for him?

All we know is that he was married, got divorced, got back together with his divorcée, remarried, signed a deal in Arizona that would make him a 5(+) million dollar man for the following 4 years, moved to AZ, had marital issues AGAIN causing his wife to take herself and their kids back to Dallas midseason, him checking out on everything hockey related, had mental breakdowns that would cause him to miss team meetings, as well as flights and buses, brought him to a new low of picking girls out of the grand stands to give his number to (via tape on a flying puck) during warmups at home and away games....eventually leading to complete lack of focus, effort, and loyalty to his team, causing altercations and shouting matches between himself and the team's leaders/coaching staff, and complete mental and physical abandonment from the Coyotes organization in general.

but we don't know much...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All we know is that he was married, got divorced, got back together with his divorcée, remarried, signed a deal in Arizona that would make him a 5(+) million dollar man for the following 4 years, moved to AZ, had marital issues AGAIN causing his wife to take herself and their kids back to Dallas midseason, him checking out on everything hockey related, had mental breakdowns that would cause him to miss team meetings, as well as flights and buses, brought him to a new low of picking girls out of the grand stands to give his number to (via tape on a flying puck) during warmups at home and away games....eventually leading to complete lack of focus, effort, and loyalty to his team, causing altercations and shouting matches between himself and the team's leaders/coaching staff, and complete mental and physical abandonment from the Coyotes organization in general.

but we don't know much...

:laugh:And there is probably more to the story than we know. Yet people blame DM for buying him out because of his hockey talent. Unbelievable.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Are there really Coyote fans who feel that we should have kept Ribeiro? Based on the comments of Maloney I think you have to realize how much this was a necessity and not something that we could have blown off and hope he gets his head straight/relationship settled/address other potential issues. Bottom line he had to go for the good of the room. The room either imploded or was in danger of imploding with Ribeiro in it. This wasn't a move made because we wanted to make it. It was made because we had to make it. It was either RIbeiro or the team. That's how you have to look at it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Believe it - he has talent, we need talent. The absurd notion is to lower the talent level of our beleaguered forward ranks.

His talent is giving up the puck easily and destroying team chemistry. We can do without.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Are there really Coyote fans who feel that we should have kept Ribeiro? Based on the comments of Maloney I think you have to realize how much this was a necessity and not something that we could have blown off and hope he gets his head straight/relationship settled/address other potential issues. Bottom line he had to go for the good of the room. The room either imploded or was in danger of imploding with Ribeiro in it. This wasn't a move made because we wanted to make it. It was made because we had to make it. It was either RIbeiro or the team. That's how you have to look at it.
That's funny. I was going to ask "who? when?" Because I'd never seen a Yotes fan say this.
His talent is giving up the puck easily and destroying team chemistry. We can do without.
Then I saw your post.

The quote feature is both a blessing and a curse.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
71% of the time Ribeiro started in the offensive zone...To put up his numbers with that level of protection is pretty pathetic.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Talent is one thing.

Unexploited talent is a completely different thing.

A guy who works hard and gives an honest effort will outperform a guy with loads of talent who can't be bothered to employ it every day of the week.

Pure talent is overrated.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Talent is one thing.

A guy who works hard and gives an honest effort will outperform a guy with loads of talent who can't be bothered to employ it every day of the week.

Yes, coaches motto: "hard work will overcome talent when talent refuses to work hard"

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Fifth highest point total on the team last season, a season in which he only really participated in - in the first half. Fifth ranking was because Doan had more goals, otherwise tied for fourth, again with 1/2 season effort.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Talent is one thing.

While I completely agree with this, I believe it was entirely premature to discard such talent, when we are so devoid of talent.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I have said that from the day he was bought out - it was complete and total stupidity.

None of us know the real story, including me, so this is all speculation. While I agree, that if he had a locker room argument with Tip, was late to a few practices, had marital problems, and the marital problems caused the first two, we should have kept him. Ribs could have said he was sorry teamates/Tip/DM, and played harder next year. He still is very talented.

I suspect that a few players on the team saw what Ribs was up to off the ice, and wind of that got back to DM. So now DM knows that there are other habits complicating Ribs life. DM likely approached Ribs, suggested he gets help, and at that point Ribs denies he has a problem or needs help. I am not referring to marital/other women habits either.

At this point he tries to trade Ribs, he refuses, and then decides the real problems are not being addressed by Ribs, so he cuts him loose. If the entire team knows what the real issue is, and DM knows too, how could they keep him? They couldn't and didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad