Confirmed with Link: Coyotes buy out Mike Ribeiro

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There was an article in a DC paper two years ago talking about how Ribeiro has put personal issues behind him and turned his life around.

There was an article in an AZ paper one year ago talking about how Ribeiro has put personal issues behind him and turned his life around.

He's now on his 4th team in four years, has been bought out by the least likely team in the NHL, has been divorced, remarried, separated, and apparently reconciled again, and is on a one year, one million, last chance contract with Nashville.

Preds fans should not read that Nashville news article about how he's put personal issues behind him and turned his life around and take any kind of comfort in it. You can't take this crap seriously with Ribeiro. He sure doesn't seem to.

They're in a good spot, though. If he reverts back to his default mode of huge distraction, they can just waive him, assign him to the AHL, and suspend him without pay when he refuses to report. If he does report, just buy him out.

It's a good deal for the Preds. But their fans should temper expectations. Calling it a steal or acting like anything in Ribeiro's life has truly changed this time around (not like every other goddamned time) is naive.

This should be regarded as a expect the worst and hope for the best kind of deal for their fanbase. If their GM has two brain cells to rub together, I'm sure that's how he's looking at it.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm still surprised we didn't give him at least another year. He must have burned the locker room. It was a regular buyout, not a compliance buyout, so it doesn't really make much sense.

Moving him now actually provided a little extra budget room for this season. It hurts us financially in the long-run, but if we finally threw in the towel mid-season, and bought him out in January, or something, we'd be up ***** creek. No money to replace him with and even fewer options to do so. They had to move him quick to give us the flexibility to make a trade like we saw with the Gagner acquisition.

I'm not upset that Mike Ribeiro is no longer a Coyote. I don't think any Coyotes fan should be. Even if he rebounds in Nashville, it's likely at least partially due to the events of the AZ buy-out. His back is truly against the wall. So it's certainly not a given that he'd have rebounded here, even if he does rebound there.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm still surprised we didn't give him at least another year. He must have burned the locker room. It was a regular buyout, not a compliance buyout, so it doesn't really make much sense.

Read his quote on abandoning the season. That means he abandoned his teammates. He cost everyone in that dressing room a shot at the cup. He cost Doan one of his last years as a player. Hes partially responsible for moving on from Vrbata. Hes the reason we didn't want to offer a one year deal to Morris. Thats how important his not being there affected his teammates. Do you really think that his teammates wanted him back knowing that?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Read his quote on abandoning the season. That means he abandoned his teammates. He cost everyone in that dressing room a shot at the cup. He cost Doan one of his last years as a player. Hes partially responsible for moving on from Vrbata. Hes the reason we didn't want to offer a one year deal to Morris. Thats how important his not being there affected his teammates. Do you really think that his teammates wanted him back knowing that?

I agree. Well said sir.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
All those quotes should be able to be used in court to void his freaking contract. He wasn't committed and gave up? Good. Then we'll just cancel your contract. I don't care if it is a game. You only have to be a professional few a few hours a day. Suck it up and do the job you are getting millions for. Having marital problems? How about you stop banging other chicks or just get divorced? I have zero sympathy for this wuss. I hope Vitale checks him into next season the first time we play them. Freaking loser.

rt

May 13, 2004
Glad to see Matthew Lombardi back in the NHL. I hope he can stay healthy.

Hell, at 800kay, I'd have taken a chance on him. Wouldn't give him that 2nd yr the stats did, though. And we aren't the Rangers, so it would've taken more from us. Too rich for my blood.

EDIT: wrong thread.

rt

May 13, 2004

No. You've got it all wrong. Just read the thread on the main board. They'll set you straight.

Mike Ribeiro did nothing wrong. The Coyotes bought him out because they are stupid and don't know what they are doing.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Reading the thread on the Preds board, they sound exactly how we sounded when we signed him last summer... sigh.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
With Jokinen, Ribeiro, and Neal, Nashville has made a real statement about how winning trumps everything, including a "bad room."

At least, that's the motive behind picking up those pieces. Not entirely sanguine about their chances of winning with those three.

To summarize....... they're building the next Oakland Raiders in Nashville. ;)

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
...and if he let Calgary buy him out, the Coyotes wouldn't have that financial burden! There is a chance that this financial burden may cost Arizona a NHL franchise in the future. That's lowering the internal budget by $2mil/year until 2020. Why wouldn't he waive his contract? This is what really disgusts me about the whole fiasco. The franchise was willing to give up the rights to Perlini for $11,666,667 so the team could afford to be competitive.

After reading that article, he was the one that ruin his marriage. I can't see his marriage be able to rebound (yet, once again) and I don't see him changing.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I was hoping to see him in Edmonton. That would have been amusing.

I can see why Nashville gambled when Ribeiro called them, they may as well given the make-up of their team.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Ribeiro M.O. is to do exactly as he did...remember that he was the one who called Don Maloney. Maloney didn't go after Ribeiro, Ribeiro came after the Coyotes.

He came and met with Don and Tippett and discussed everything and took a look at the city...it's the same old bs.

Although the one difference this time around is that he's playing for his next contract, which is the X Factor in this whole story...but leopards don't change their spots. He was a distraction in Montreal and they traded him, he was almost a PPG player in Dallas and they let him go to Washington and he was a PPG for 1yr in Washington and they didn't want him back and then obviously with the Coyotes. This pattern doesn't change, he won't change...GOOD LUCK NASHVILLE

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There was an article in a DC paper two years ago talking about how Ribeiro has put personal issues behind him and turned his life around.

There was an article in an AZ paper one year ago talking about how Ribeiro has put personal issues behind him and turned his life around.

He's now on his 4th team in four years, has been bought out by the least likely team in the NHL, has been divorced, remarried, separated, and apparently reconciled again, and is on a one year, one million, last chance contract with Nashville.

Preds fans should not read that Nashville news article about how he's put personal issues behind him and turned his life around and take any kind of comfort in it. You can't take this crap seriously with Ribeiro. He sure doesn't seem to.

They're in a good spot, though. If he reverts back to his default mode of huge distraction, they can just waive him, assign him to the AHL, and suspend him without pay when he refuses to report. If he does report, just buy him out.

It's a good deal for the Preds. But their fans should temper expectations. Calling it a steal or acting like anything in Ribeiro's life has truly changed this time around (not like every other goddamned time) is naive.

This should be regarded as a expect the worst and hope for the best kind of deal for their fanbase. If their GM has two brain cells to rub together, I'm sure that's how he's looking at it.

If Doan couldn't get him on the straight and narrow who else can? I just don't think a cancer like Ribeiro is worth a roster spot. All that talent gone to waste, what a shame.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All those quotes should be able to be used in court to void his freaking contract. He wasn't committed and gave up? Good. Then we'll just cancel your contract. I don't care if it is a game. You only have to be a professional few a few hours a day. Suck it up and do the job you are getting millions for. Having marital problems? How about you stop banging other chicks or just get divorced? I have zero sympathy for this wuss. I hope Vitale checks him into next season the first time we play them. Freaking loser.

That's why the players have the PA. These millionaire babies get all kinds of protection.

rt

May 13, 2004
Poile's Top Line Centre Strategy

ZV2Ze1Al.jpg

EHLHyVYl.jpg

Excellent.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I hope he gets his life together and does well in Nashville, everyone deserves another chance. The marital issues are a problem, but what about substance abuse? This situation sounds way more like a marital/behavioral problem complicated by a substance abuse problem. I have no information other then what I have read, but I suspect a substance problem has been complicating his life for years on and off. I don't see anywhere that it is mentioned or addressed? Sooner or later, it usually rears its ugly head. At 1 mill, upside for Nashville, with little downside financially. They do have the locker room cancer risk though, maybe they cut him loose quickly if he steps out of line.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona

Why did he not move his family to AZ? He signed a multi-year contract with the 'Yotes and didn't move them here? But he signs a 1 year deal in Nashville and moves his family there . . . . doesn't make sense.

Before I moved to AZ, I lived in CT (where I grew up) and watched allot of Boston Bruins hockey. Always disliked Mike Ribeiro as a player when he was on the Canadiens and was disappointed when he signed with the Coyotes. Just didn't think he was a fit personality wise.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I am hoping we lucked out with Gagner. He's a better team guy than Ribiero, just hope he can improve his game and point production as a center or a RW.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
They did move here originally but apparently his family moved back to Dallas pretty early in the season. Now they're together again. This is the third time they've separated and re-united.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
...and if he let Calgary buy him out, the Coyotes wouldn't have that financial burden! There is a chance that this financial burden may cost Arizona a NHL franchise in the future. That's lowering the internal budget by $2mil/year until 2020. Why wouldn't he waive his contract? This is what really disgusts me about the whole fiasco. The franchise was willing to give up the rights to Perlini for $11,666,667 so the team could afford to be competitive.
Bookmark this quote and bring it back up if things go very poorly over the next 4 years, but I think Ribeiro not waiving (and this deal not going down) will benefit the team in the long run. If M Staal, B Little, R McDonagh, T Myers, C de Haan and C Fowler are our 12th overall templates, he will produce far more than what $2m/year would get us in UFA.

If the Leafs were allowed to just buy 1st overalls from teams, 10-14 would sell for a LOT more than $12m under the current CBA.
Exactly...which is why this will never work. Why would it work now on the 3rd try?
*fistbump* ... dudebro, totally agree. Marriage and family are lame.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Have all the tv soap operas stopped airing for summer holidays. Is there nowhere else for these people to get their fill of relationship drama? Isn't Big Brother aired every summer to fill this void.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad