Confirmed with Link: Coyotes buy out Mike Ribeiro

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I don't think there are any secrets about Ribeiro's issues and between his crappy play and the size of his contract what do you think the Coyotes could have acquired at the deadline for Ribeiro? Given our budget restrictions we weren't in much of a position to add. We had to force Washington to take a contract in order to even acquire Erat.

I'm not saying we could have gotten rid of Riberio at the deadline and I'm not saying that we could have signed Vanek to a deal. However, considering that Vanek was traded for little and we could have picked up his remaining salary, I bet his presence alone would have been just enough to get us over the hump and maybe able to squeeze a little bit more our of Riberio given what he has gone though. After all, how often did we hear the complaining about Riberio not having enough options to work with? Maybe what was troubling Riberio in all of this was having to produce a lot while not having much to work with?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
If there is criticism here for Phoenix management it's on the decision to sign Ribeiro in the first place. Tippett recommended Ribeiro so he's not free from criticism on this. What a horrific signing in retrospect. My take away about July 1st is we should avoid trying to solve top line scoring through UFA. We just can't afford to be wrong.

Agreed considering that drafting and drafting right is the only way we're going to get the top line scoring we need in the 1st place.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not saying we could have gotten rid of Riberio at the deadline and I'm not saying that we could have signed Vanek to a deal. However, considering that Vanek was traded for little and we could have picked up his remaining salary, I bet his presence alone would have been just enough to get us over the hump and maybe able to squeeze a little bit more our of Riberio given what he has gone though. After all, how often did we hear the complaining about Riberio not having enough options to work with? Maybe what was troubling Riberio in all of this was having to produce a lot while not having much to work with?

We were apparently in on Vanek and Hemsky. Hemsky we offered equivalent value of what was accepted but decision apparently came down to not wanting to have him in same conference (or at least that's how they tried to leverage the Coyotes to increase their offer). Vanek's salary could have been an issue but sounded like ownership may have been willing to do a cash call to cover it for the rest of the season. Not sure what an equivalent offer would have cost us asset wise (2nd and Samuellson? or both 2nd round picks?). What's your comfort level of Dvorak and Samuellson or Dvorak and MacInnis for 20 games of Vanek? On a prospect board i suspect that appetite isn't that high; especially when everyone and their dog knew Vanek was only going to sign with Minnesota this off-season and there was zero chance we could extend him.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I haven't given this any retroactive thought post-buyout, and maaaaybe there's something to it, but I think there are too many negatives:

Price--Collberg + a 2nd isn't the proverbial farm, but it's not nothing. Might equate it to Dauphin or Rieder + a 2nd, and we'd have to beat that to rent Vanek. Not terrible, but not cheap either.

Edit: I'm shooting low. hbk is right. Collberg = Samuelsson.

Precedent--if Ribeiro was as big a problem inside the team as suggested, doesn't trying to placate him set a precedent? Throw a fit and get what you want? Ehh.

Why bother--DAL only pushed ANA to 6, and DAL are much better equipped to give ANA problems than we were last year. Making the playoffs would have been psychologically very satisfying (much better than imploding like we did) but it's not like we were going to recreate 2012 last year. Cup winning teams always fill the championship DVD with talk of "having a great team spirit" and "having everyone firing on all cylinders" and "that intangible mojo running through the squad" and we're delusional if we think the team had that last year in light of what's come out after the season.

Paying that price just to host 2 maybe 3 home playoff games doesn't seem worth it to me.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I wouldn't have wanted to give up those assets for Vanek for 20 games, just to get us into the playoffs where we probably would have lost in the 1st or 2nd round even with Vanek.

Some really need to think logically around here instead of emotionally.

Is that really a good trade?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I wouldn't have wanted to give up those assets for Vanek for 20 games, just to get us into the playoffs where we probably would have lost in the 1st or 2nd round even with Vanek.

Some really need to think logically around here instead of emotionally.

Is that really a good trade?

Especially considering Vanek basically disappeared in the playoffs too. At the time it seemed like a great trade for Montreal to make a push for a deep playoff run and possibly a cup (sort of worked out anyway, but no thanks to Vanek in the end of it though).

In retrospect I wish it never happened. Rather have kept the assets. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Fans on the main board now trying to minimize any possible issues and suggest he's just fine. Haha. Unbelievable. Why not just say that it doesn't matter what his issues are because if he relapses into whatever destructive behavior he was demonstrating in Arizona, the Preds can simply waive him, assign him, and suspend him for failure to report. There's no reason to bother minimizing the AZ problems he had. They just don't matter to Nashville. Why not leave it at that? The contract they gave him mitigates the risk associated with him. Simple.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
It may be that he's over his issues, but burned the locker room.

I can't imagine people like Doan, Yandle and Hanzal being much inclined to tolerate his antics.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There's no reason to bother minimizing the AZ problems he had. They just don't matter to Nashville. Why not leave it at that? The contract they gave him mitigates the risk associated with him. Simple.

With Jokinen, Ribeiro, and Neal, Nashville has made a real statement about how winning trumps everything, including a "bad room."

At least, that's the motive behind picking up those pieces. Not entirely sanguine about their chances of winning with those three.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Nashville has certainly collected a lot of odd pieces this offseason.

failure to make the playoffs this year = loss of job for Poile. Desperate times call for desperate measures albeit he certainly didn't overpay on skill

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Nashville has certainly collected a lot of odd pieces this offseason.
Nashville certainly had a lot of odd pieces on their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines last season.

To spend $9.5m and get James Neal, Mike Ribeiro, Derek Roy and Olli Jokinen is excellent business. We couldn't promise the ice time he'll probably get in NAS, but I would have been all over $1m x 1 year for Derek Roy.

PredsFanFromla

Jul 10, 2010
louisiana
Fans on the main board now trying to minimize any possible issues and suggest he's just fine. Haha. Unbelievable. Why not just say that it doesn't matter what his issues are because if he relapses into whatever destructive behavior he was demonstrating in Arizona, the Preds can simply waive him, assign him, and suspend him for failure to report. There's no reason to bother minimizing the AZ problems he had. They just don't matter to Nashville. Why not leave it at that? The contract they gave him mitigates the risk associated with him. Simple.

The Preds have Rich Clune on the team that also had a destructive behavior with drugs and alcohol,he has been sober for aleast 4 years,so maybe ribero being on the same team with clune might help him

rt

May 13, 2004
The Preds have Rich Clune on the team that also had a destructive behavior with drugs and alcohol,he has been sober for aleast 4 years,so maybe ribero being on the same team with clune might help him

Hopefully Ribeiro can get his personal life back together in Nashville. I really hope so for his sake and the sake of his family. For the sake of the Arizona Coyotes, I hope he's a complete and total professional failure on the ice in Nashville, however. I'm rooting for significant personal improvement and significant professional decline. :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
failure to make the playoffs this year = loss of job for Poile. Desperate times call for desperate measures albeit he certainly didn't overpay on skill

Every year we see GM's going over paying for UFA and signing head cases. Why are they so stupid. Look at Nashville, what a circus, or should I say it's going to be one.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nashville certainly had a lot of odd pieces on their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines last season.

To spend $9.5m and get James Neal, Mike Ribeiro, Derek Roy and Olli Jokinen is excellent business. We couldn't promise the ice time he'll probably get in NAS, but I would have been all over $1m x 1 year for Derek Roy.

The only one worth their salt, in my opinion is Neal. The other three I would not have touched with a 100' pole.

rt

May 13, 2004

By all accounts Roy has been done in by injury and has been reduced to a complete and total perimeter player who is utterly ineffective as a result. We saw the same thing happen to Ladislav Nagy once.

I'm certainly not upset that we missed out on Roy.

I'd still like to sign Stempniak to a cheap deal, though. Or trade for Versteeg if he can be had for very little.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hopefully Ribeiro can get his personal life back together in Nashville. I really hope so for his sake and the sake of his family. For the sake of the Arizona Coyotes, I hope he's a complete and total professional failure on the ice in Nashville, however. I'm rooting for significant personal improvement and significant professional decline. :)

I'm with you all the way on this one.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Sounds like there are now gonna be a lot of people picking us 13th/14th and a lot of people picking NSH 8th/9th. They're becoming the trendy, darkhorse pick based on all mentioned above.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
MR could have made $5.5mil this upcoming season instead he will make $2994444 and be put on a short lease.
What he did to this franchise is inexcusable. There is no justification on why he wouldn't waive his NMC!!! It was a bad business decision on his part! I have nothing but contempt for him. As far as I'm concern he is lower than a turris!

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

I wish Ribs the best of luck. He will have a pretty legit triggerman in Neal tied to his hip and a far more offensive coach in Laviolette, so he'll have every chance to return to his more productive self.

That being said, at this point, we have heard the same old song and dance regarding his personal/family issues last offseason before he signed with us. The proof will always be on the ice.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I'm still surprised we didn't give him at least another year. He must have burned the locker room. It was a regular buyout, not a compliance buyout, so it doesn't really make much sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad