Coyotes buy and move AHL Springfield to Tucson for 2016-17 (UPD: Vote 7-0 in Favor)

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Coyotes to purchase AHL Springfield, move them to Tucson for 2016-17?

http://arizonasports.com/story/629294/coyotes-likely-to-move-ahl-affiliate-to-tucson-next-season/

I don't know how reliable this report is, but the summary I've read elsewhere makes me think this is a "could really happen", but not necessarily a lock -- complicating things is the fact that the AHL headquarters is in Springfield, which would be losing their current AHL team if this plan goes through.

IF it does happen -- another divisional opponent for the California teams, a likely realignment... the question is, would AHL Tucson play 68 or 76 games??

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I posted this over in the Coyotes thread but since Craig Morgan let the cat out of the bag so I’ll add some AHL context to it…

I’ve been told that IA is in the process of purchasing the Springfield Falcons with the intent of relocating them to Tucson for next season…. This does not mean they will purchase that club, but that they are beyond general talk and are now working on the actual purchase agreement. I’ve been told there are two big issues.

1.) The current owner, Charlie Pompea, may want to retain a portion of ownership because he wants to leave something behind for his kids. His daughter, Sarah Pompea, is currently the President and Governor of the Falcons and Charlie may want to ensure she retains such a title in the sale/move to Tucson.

2.) Making sure that Springfield is not left in the dark without a potential team either in the AHL or ECHL. There is a potential expansion possibility for Springfield in the ECHL There is also been discussion about the possibility of the NY Rangers considering a move from Hartford to Springfield due to ongoing issues – too many to get into at the moment in this thread.

In either case IA and Pompea are looking to solidify those issues first. They will present their plan to the AHL Board of Governors in May for review. Should the sale being approved by the BoG, look for the application for relocation to be approved at the same time or no later than June meetings in Hilton Head, SC.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Coyotes to purchase AHL Springfield, move them to Tucson for 2016-17?

http://arizonasports.com/story/629294/coyotes-likely-to-move-ahl-affiliate-to-tucson-next-season/

I don't know how reliable this report is, but the summary I've read elsewhere makes me think this is a "could really happen", but not necessarily a lock -- complicating things is the fact that the AHL headquarters is in Springfield, which would be losing their current AHL team if this plan goes through.

IF it does happen -- another divisional opponent for the California teams, a likely realignment... the question is, would AHL Tucson play 68 or 76 games??
I'd say 68 for now. Will be whatever when the league decides.

Also, I don't believe the fact that the league offices being in Springfield are as much of an issue as it's being pointed out. If I recall the ECHL offices are in NJ where there is no longer team.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I was expecting Arizona and Colorado to land their AHL affiliates in Fresno and Sacramento (which team got which city didn't really matter), with San Jose eventually moving theirs to San Francisco (new Warriors arena) and Vancouver moving theirs to Abbotsford.

If the San Jose and Vancouver affiliate moves go as I expect them to, only Fresno or Sacramento can land Colorado's affiliate. Likely Fresno since they have a history of minor league hockey.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I was expecting Arizona and Colorado to land their AHL affiliates in Fresno and Sacramento (which team got which city didn't really matter), with San Jose eventually moving theirs to San Francisco (new Warriors arena) and Vancouver moving theirs to Abbotsford.

If the San Jose and Vancouver affiliate moves go as I expect them to, only Fresno or Sacramento can land Colorado's affiliate. Likely Fresno since they have a history of minor league hockey.

So what's new with Colorado ? Could they buy a team and move them to Loveland, CO?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org

Sacramento doesn't really have a hockey-ready arena, IIRC -- has that changed at all? Also, the San Jose long-term game appears to be an expansion of the practice arena in San Jose to a 5k facility, not a move to "The City", from how I read the tea leaves...

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
So what's new with Colorado ? Could they buy a team and move them to Loveland, CO?

Loveland/Fort Collins is still occupied by the ECHL Colorado Eagles, who are drawing 4,900 a night in a 5,500-seat area. Unless the Avalanche _also_ bought the Eagles and their lease, they'd have a devil of a time forcing a successful franchise out of the market, IMO.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sacramento doesn't really have a hockey-ready arena, IIRC -- has that changed at all? Also, the San Jose long-term game appears to be an expansion of the practice arena in San Jose to a 5k facility, not a move to "The City", from how I read the tea leaves...

The new NBA Sacramento Kings arena, Golden 1 Center, opens this fall.

I think the Spiders and Bulls proved that minor league hockey in SF/Cow Palace didn't work.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The new NBA Sacramento Kings arena, Golden 1 Center, opens this fall.

I think the Spiders and Bulls proved that minor league hockey in SF/Cow Palace didn't work.

No one was proposing the Cow Palace -- the SF mention was for the proposed San Francisco Warriors (NBA) arena, I believe.

Does Golden 1 Center have ice? Would the arena managers be interested in hosting a hockey team at all?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
No one was proposing the Cow Palace -- the SF mention was for the proposed San Francisco Warriors (NBA) arena, I believe.

Does Golden 1 Center have ice? Would the arena managers be interested in hosting a hockey team at all?

I can't think that they'd be so short sighted in the 21st century to not have the capabilities, so at least the touring skating shows can happen.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Vancouver is looking at Abbotsford, but they have committed to nothing more than just looking.....

I can see Utica going to ECHL along with Springfield but ECHL is beginning to be a little bit crowded right now.

Adding Worcester, some teams need to go to the SPHL. Greenville ? South Carolina ?

Last edited:

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Vancouver is looking at Abbotsford, but they have committed to nothing more than just looking.....

For what it's worth, Linden said the prospects experience of playing in Utica outweighed the advantage of having the Ahlers playing closer to home.

He just reiterated that early this week.

Again, for what its worth.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
For what it's worth, Linden said the prospects experience of playing in Utica outweighed the advantage of having the Ahlers playing closer to home.

He just reiterated that early this week.

Again, for what its worth.

There's still 2 more years with Utica but at one point, Canucks will bring their farm term closer to home for trademark and to have their prospects closer.

IMO, the only teams that will not do that for now, it's the Florida teams because of the divisions right now in the NHL.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
There's still 2 more years with Utica but at one point, Canucks will bring their farm term closer to home for trademark and to have their prospects closer.

IMO, the only teams that will not do that for now, it's the Florida teams because of the divisions right now in the NHL.

I don't have any doubt they will leave at some point. Maybe 3 more years, maybe 2...only Esche and the Canucks know...doesn't matter, it only takes money to break a contract and not really a lot of it.

Putting the team in Abbottsford or thereabouts though really does little for development....they are on an island compared to the other teams even out west....Abbottsford fans have to get used to seeing a team 2 or even 3 straight times. Otherwise, the baby canucks will be on an airplane.

Still, I see the trend, its not hard to figure out.

Why wouldn't the FL teams do it? You mean to tell me TB couldn't give Dolgan in SYR, say, $7m and they wouldn't move them to (____________name any Florida city). Same with the panthers to buy Portland? NHL teams own way over 50% now of the AHL. Soon, save for Hershey, Chicago, San Antonio, Cleveland and a precious few others....they will have complete control. They already do.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I don't have any doubt they will leave at some point. Maybe 3 more years, maybe 2...only Esche and the Canucks know...doesn't matter, it only takes money to break a contract and not really a lot of it.

Putting the team in Abbottsford or thereabouts though really does little for development....they are on an island compared to the other teams even out west....Abbottsford fans have to get used to seeing a team 2 or even 3 straight times. Otherwise, the baby canucks will be on an airplane.

Why wouldn't the FL teams do it? You mean to tell me TB couldn't give Dolgan in SYR, say, $7m and they wouldn't move them to (____________name any Florida city). Same with the panthers to buy Portland? NHL teams own way over 50% now of the AHL. Soon, save for Hershey, Chicago, San Antonio, Cleveland and a precious few others....they will have complete control. They already do.

My opinion is they want their AHL teams to play against their AHL teams division rival.

It's only a guess but it could look like this: I know it's not really logical (Grand Rapids for example should be with Milwaukee)

Atlantic (8)
Albany Devils (New Jersey)
Bridgeport Sound Tigers or Long Island (NY Islanders)
Charlotte Checkers (Carolina)
Hartford Wolf Pack or Bridgeport Sound Tigers (NY Rangers)
Hershey Bears (Washington)
Lake Erie Monsters (Columbus)
Lehigh Valley Phantoms (Philadelphia)
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsbugh)

North (8)
Binghamton Senators (Ottawa)
Laval ??? (Montreal)
Grand Rapids Griffins (Detroit)
Portland Pirates OR Utica Comets (Florida)
Providence Bruins (Boston)
Syracuse Crunch (Tampa Bay)
Rochester Americans (Buffalo)
Toronto Marlies (Toronto)

Central (7)
Chicago Wolves (St.Louis)
Iowa Wild (Minnesota)
Manitoba Moose (Winnipeg)
Milwaukee Admirals (Nashville)
Rockford IceHogs (Chicago)
San Antonio Rampage (Colorado)
Texas Stars (Dallas)

Pacific (7) 68 games
Abbostford ??? (Vancouver)
Bakersfield Condors (Edmonton)
Ontario Reign (Los Angeles)
San Diego Gulls (Anaheim)
San Jose/San Francisco Barracuda (San Jose)
Stockton Heat (Calgary)
Tucson ??? (Arizona)

The Pacific division could continue playing 68 games and we will return to points within the divisions. 1 vs 4 , 2 vs 3 in playoffs.

Last edited:

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada

Like Agalloch said for theFlorida teams it's an advantage to have their farm team in Syracuse and Portland since it's closer to their Division rivals they visit the Eastern Canadian teams, Boston and Buffalo more they visit the other teams

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
When the Westward movement began I stated there would be more moving west. Arizona (Tucson) looks to be next and I fully expect Colorado (Loveland) and Vancouver (Abbotsford) to follow suit shortly after and when a Las Vegas (Reno? Boise? Sacramento? Las Vegas?) expansion team is announced they will likely do the same which would add 4 more teams out west and with the mid-west teams that would be very close to the desired 16 teams.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
When the Westward movement began I stated there would be more moving west. Arizona (Tucson) looks to be next and I fully expect Colorado (Loveland) and Vancouver (Abbotsford) to follow suit shortly after and when a Las Vegas (Reno? Boise? Sacramento? Las Vegas?) expansion team is announced they will likely do the same which would add 4 more teams out west and with the mid-west teams that would be very close to the desired 16 teams.
Unless there are a couple teams close to abbotsford, I can't see the canucks putting a team there... The will be better off in Cali. But if the oilers and flames move teams in that area, then it make sense. Look at St John's... 7 game two week lond road trips.., how does that help develop talent?? I think untill the oilers and flames do something, the canucks stay in Utica or go to California....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad