Coyotes at the World Cup

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Only 8,500 people at yesterday's afternoon game. Today, tickets for the afternoon game were going for $6 upper and 11 bucks lower.

I'm just a little confused as, as a Coyotes fan, the Canadian media and (some of) my fellow Canadians have told me that you could move the Coyotes to Regina, Halifax, or Flin Flon Manitoba and it would sell out anytime, anywhere.

:sarcasm:

(I know the games have been at 3pm locally and not every game is Team Canada, but it certainly flies in the face of the story we've been hearing).

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Only 8,500 people at yesterday's afternoon game. Today, tickets for the afternoon game were going for $6 upper and 11 bucks lower.

I'm just a little confused as, as a Coyotes fan, the Canadian media and (some of) my fellow Canadians have told me that you could move the Coyotes to Regina, Halifax, or Flin Flon Manitoba and it would sell out anytime, anywhere.

(I know the games have been at 3pm locally and not every game is Team Canada, but it certainly flies in the face of the story we've been hearing).

No money for hockey. It's all going to the mortgage.

Canada-house-price-index-2015-04.png

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No money for hockey. It's all going to the mortgage.

Sell now and rent until it bursts. The Canadian debt to income ratio is worse than the US was in 08. When it bursts, it will be very bad for Canadian teams and their revenue. That should suppress the cap and be good for American teams.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sell now and rent until it bursts. The Canadian debt to income ratio is worse than the US was in 08. When it bursts, it will be very bad for Canadian teams and their revenue. That should suppress the cap and be good for American teams.

Yup, that's how I see it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

...but it's their game.:)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I know it's cute to compare but US and Canadian mortgage rules are very different. There will be no burst in Canada. Houses for sale after foreclosure in Canada are almost non-existent.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
CMHC makes the market much more stable. I've been hearing abut the Canadian bubbles here for a few years now with nothing happening in Canada??? Oh and media blowing stuff out of proportion, colour me shocked. I live in Saskatoon, which had a very fast price increase a few years back. Since that time oil has crapped, potash has crapped, economy is in the tank for 3 years now. And housing sales have slowed, building has slowed. And yet prices have leveled and stabalized. No burst.
You mean they have created rules that defy the laws of economics? What are these rules, and why doesn't everyone adopt them?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=655005

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
CMHC makes the market much more stable. I've been hearing abut the Canadian bubbles here for a few years now with nothing happening in Canada??? Oh and media blowing stuff out of proportion, colour me shocked. I live in Saskatoon, which had a very fast price increase a few years back. Since that time oil has crapped, potash has crapped, economy is in the tank for 3 years now. And housing sales have slowed, building has slowed. And yet prices have leveled and stabalized. No burst.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do, because when crashes happen people get hurt, but in this case I think it's coming, the difficulty is predicting when.

Take a look at this chart. What happens to the housing market when (not if) interest rates revert back to around say 6 or 7 percent? CMHC can't prevent this from happening.

mortgage-interest-rates-Canada-historically.jpg

SORRY FOR GETTING THIS THREAD COMPLETELY OFF TRACK! YES, I'M YELLING AT MYSELF!

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
HUUUUUge game starts in 5 minutes to see if OEL and the best defense in the tournament can stop the kids. Should be fun.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I agree it's not pretty but mortgage rates will only increase when the economy gets better and will lessen the effect of the rate increase. And i wouldn't bet on seeing 7% in my lifetime. I really can't recall a crash in Canada in last 40 years and don't see one happening anytime soon. I could see a long term decline of a few percent a year but not a substantial (30%) fall in short term. People are much more able to deal with long term decline. Vancouver is the outlier but most of the extreme growth there has been by wealthy Chinese.
I hope I'm wrong. I really do, because when crashes happen people get hurt, but in this case I think it's coming, the difficulty is predicting when.

Take a look at this chart. What happens to the housing market when (not if) interest rates revert back to around say 6 or 7 percent? CMHC can't prevent this from happening.

mortgage-interest-rates-Canada-historically.jpg

SORRY FOR GETTING THIS THREAD COMPLETELY OFF TRACK! YES, I'M YELLING AT MYSELF!

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
HUUUUUge game starts in 5 minutes to see if OEL and the best defense in the tournament can stop the kids. Should be fun.
been a ROUGH 2 periods for OEL, bad frustration penalty to end the 2nd....

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sweden's D did not look good today. I know the kids are fast but you can't give them time and space and hope to be successful. Almost too much offense in the group of D.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
NA is fun. I'd like to see them win the whole thing.

Hope Tippett sees what teams with speed are capable of.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south

He's got to. How could he not? I mean he is behind the bench. As much as i don't like tippett at times, he has to be credited a small tiny bit with helping this team succeed! he's just an assistant coach, but still has a voice that is heard when crafting a game plan to play to the kids strengths. They looked much much better than sweden today, and henrik lundqvist made some unbelievable saves otherwise NA would have won 5-3 or 6-3 in regulation.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Mosby, you know better than to ask that question. :) DT, JC and the rest all have been saying we need better puck position and speed.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Why is OEL always so underwhelming in the Swedish national team, when he is so amazing in the NHL?

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Why is OEL always so underwhelming in the Swedish national team, when he is so amazing in the NHL?

On the Coyotes he is a star, perhaps the best player on the ice, and must step up for the team to win. On team Sweden he is among many more high profile star players; perhaps that has the effect of muting his play.

I don't think his tournament has been that bad. He was on the ice for two of Team NAs goals yesterday, but I don't think you can pin either on him.

Sweden won their group. Looking forward to watching them win this thing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Good question. Even in the NHL, OEL starts the season slow with making unusual mistakes then starts to pick it up and gets better and better as the season progresses.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This won't be popular but is it possible that Tippett's system is much better at covering the defensive inefficiency's while allowing him to use his offensive abilities to their finest? The Sweden defence this year has looked like a dumpster fire when they were expected to the best in the tournament. The lack of team defence just seems to expose them more.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What I notice is a lack of intensity with OEL. Against the boards and with the puck he looks like he doesn't care.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
I personally think OEL's looked good defensively, he just hasn't got it going in the offensive zone at all. Even in his best game, against Russia, his worst moments came when he wildly missed the net with a shot & when he tried to force through an impossible backhanded pass, with the play coming back the other way both times.

But with OEL, I don't think there's a bigger difference in perception of our team - between our fans & everyone else - than with his playing style. He seems to be so commonly thought of as an offence-first (even offence only) dman. He's a good offensive player with a terrific wrist-shot and on our scoring-challenged team he obviously has a huge creative role, especially since Yandle was moved (hardly PKs anymore & has taken Yandle's full 2 mins on the power play). But I think he's just as good defensively (which seems backed up by shot metrics), the guy Tippett would trust most out there. Internationally, he can play that offensive role, like he did in the 2015 Worlds, but on a team with Karlsson (the best player in the world imo), his role will rightly be diminished.

Right now he definitely doesn't deserve the power play time he's getting. They finally tried him on the right side last game to set up his shot, but they just look so much more balanced with Forsberg's RHS out there. Karlsson's so good a quarterback & the Sedins have their own setup that they don't need to force OEL out there.

As for Sweden's defence as a whole, they were fantastic against Russia & solid against Finland with a shutout. No doubt they started terribly yesterday & were ripped apart during the first 5 mins, which meant they had to step up and chase the game & as a result rode Lundqvist hard with all those breakaways. But I thought they did a good job bogging North America down in the second half of the game & got enough control back to get the result they needed. The NA youngsters deserve as much praise for the way they played in the offensive zone. The coaches really screwed them being unaware of the group standings & not pushing harder for a regulation win.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I haven't watched any of the games, but it could simply be because he's not as motivated to invest 100% as some of the others (especially if he has a diminishing role) are.

On the other side, maybe he'll knock those foibles (slow starts and such) out of his game in time for the start of the NHL season .

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: