Coyotes Arena Discussion (Crowdsourced real estate detective work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't really see what good a "drive" does. If you're talking about a new team obviously there's a need to get the word out.

And even to a lesser extent a larger marketing push behind a new building makes some sense. But what makes it substantially different than marketing a team in this type of market should be doing basically all the time? Just calling it a drive?

I don't think you can goad people into being season ticket holders. It all sounds like feel good window dressing to me.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Impossible at this point. Given the last ten years or so of uncertainty surrounding the franchise. Public wants the Coyotes to show them first.

Agreed, I don't think anyone would currently have that type of confidence in this market.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Impossible at this point. Given the last ten years or so of uncertainty surrounding the franchise. Public wants the Coyotes to show them first.
Unfortunately I'd say you're spot on here. The fans have been put through the ringer at this point, they're understandably skittish and unlikely to commit until they know the team isn't a dead man walking.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd be curious to see how our STH count stacks up against Florida.

A lot of similarities there.

Not a long of on-ice success, and a lot of losing for a long time.

Obviously both southern, non-traditional markets.

And two arenas (Glendale and Sunrise) that aren't in Phoenix and Miami.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's 1 mile east and 5 miles south of the original Tempe location. In Mesa, near Gilbert, Chandler and a straight shot down the 101 from Scottsdale.

FWIW - I live 25 miles east of Fiesta Mall and have been a STHer for 7 years. :)

Good man! We need another 5k just like you.:handclap:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree with this. I would do it though BEFORE they decide to build.
Leave it up to the fans.
You live here, do you or do you not support NHL hockey in your city?
Then on the Coyotes web site have a count down clock counting down a time that fans have to respond by buying a season ticket.
A second count UP clock increasing with each ST purchased.
Barroway sets the number as a goal and we, the fans decide whether the team stays here or not.
Attendance problem solved either way.
I always thought it was funny that each time the Red Wings played it was ALWAYS 20,027...20,027.
There was NEVER 20,027, they had just sold that many season tickets.
It will be a nervous period of time as the clock winds down, hopefully hockey fans would come through and if not we always have the Dbacks.....or do we?

I know that I would be willing to INVEST in a season ticket even if I didn't attend EVERY home game. A GREAT investment if it keeps a team thriving here.

That is what I have said all along and get flamed for it. I agree, it's time for the fans to put up or shut up, no excuses. But watch the following posts as you will read a thousand excuses why not to buy tickets.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Why? Another excuse. Barroway has said he is staying, so support the team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed, I don't think anyone would currently have that type of confidence in this market.

Unfortunately I'd say you're spot on here. The fans have been put through the ringer at this point, they're understandably skittish and unlikely to commit until they know the team isn't a dead man walking.

More excuses. Guys, we have a NHL team in our back yard. It's a privilege not a right. Support your local team. You guys have being saying this for ten years and the team is still here. IF you would get off your duff and support this team it would make things much easier for the ownership on all levels. You guys are missing a lot of fun by not attending.:nod:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
More excuses. Guys, we have a NHL team in our back yard. It's a privilege not a right. Support your local team. You guys have being saying this for ten years and the team is still here. IF you would get off your duff and support this team it would make things much easier for the ownership on all levels. You guys are missing a lot of fun by not attending.:nod:

The arena is just too far away from me Jakey, there's no way I'm buying season tickets for that commute! I mean 27 warnings for congestions and construction is just too much multiple days of the week :(

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The arena is just too far away from me Jakey, there's no way I'm buying season tickets for that commute! I mean 27 warnings for congestions and construction is just too much multiple days of the week :(

I understand, but there are games on the weekend, holidays etc. I think when the 202 south extension is complete it will help congestion a lot.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You and cobra told us the team is staying no matter what. So I don't know why you'd care if we by tickets :dunno:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I understand, but there are games on the weekend, holidays etc. I think when the 202 south extension is complete it will help congestion a lot.

How much time would it cut out? My current commute lists it at 37 hours to Glendale, so perhaps I could cut it down to 36 hours and 15 minutes?

:laugh:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Oh, so 'East Valley' refers to Happy Valley? Susquehanna Valley? Something else? :)
Susquehanna Valley, although technically I live there :)

Excuses excuses, get a private helicopter and fly.

Not on my salary, unless the state of Pennsylvania gives me a huge raise :laugh:

I do try to figure out if I can plan a trip out there when the season schedules are out, but I have to be able to hit at least 2-3 competitive home games or it's not worth the expense. So, I guess I fail there as a fan.

This season, I could only hit the Caps/Avs games or the Preds/Rangers games, and I can't say I'd be too interested in seeing the Avs bout

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

How much time would it cut out? My current commute lists it at 37 hours to Glendale, so perhaps I could cut it down to 36 hours and 15 minutes?

:laugh:

Smart a--.:laugh: Like I said, there are weekends and holidays.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That is what I have said all along and get flamed for it. I agree, it's time for the fans to put up or shut up, no excuses. But watch the following posts as you will read a thousand excuses why not to buy tickets.

On one hand I agree, on the other it's a great way to show that this market is not a good one and risks losing the team.

Why? Another excuse. Barroway has said he is staying, so support the team.

That's all well and good, but talk is cheap.

No excuse - fact - see above. Incidentally, I've been a sth for over 11 years, not part of the problem, thank you.

You and cobra told us the team is staying no matter what. So I don't know why you'd care if we by tickets :dunno:

:laugh: That's about it!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

In my opinion they are staying, but some are not convinced they are. The more we buy tickets = more revenue for the team = better marketing = better product = more assurance they are staying = everyone happy etc. etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how important ticket sales are.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

I get the point you guys are trying to make with this, but there is such a thing as priorities. Family, possibly getting out of debt with student loans etc, and the list can go on and on...buying expensive season tickets to a sporting event, even though you may be extremely passionate about it, falls pretty far down the list. That's just the reality...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
On one hand I agree, on the other it's a great way to show that this market is not a good one and risks losing the team.

That's all well and good, but talk is cheap.

No excuse - fact - see above. Incidentally, I've been a sth for over 11 years, not part of the problem, thank you.

:laugh: That's about it!

YOU have bought tickets for 11 years which is fantastic, but there are not enough of you that do. It's a big part of the problem.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I get the point you guys are trying to make with this, but there is such a thing as priorities. Family, possibly getting out of debt with student loans etc, and the list can go on and on...buying expensive season tickets to a sporting event, even though you may be extremely passionate about it, falls pretty far down the list. That's just the reality...

I understand, but EVERY market has the same hurdles but they find a way to buy tickets. Don't forget, tickets here are probably cheaper than anywhere else.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The more we buy tickets = more revenue for the team = better marketing = better product = more assurance they are staying = everyone happy etc. etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how important ticket sales are.

This is obvious.

YOU have bought tickets for 11 years which is fantastic, but there are not enough of you that do. It's a big part of the problem.

That's why I used 'I've' :), but to hold some drive would only show how poor the market is. At least in it's current state.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I understand, but EVERY market has the same hurdles but they find a way to buy tickets. Don't forget, tickets here are probably cheaper than anywhere else.

The tickets being cheaper here than anywhere else in the leauge is definitely a positive. I'm hoping a couple years from now if the team is still here I'll be able to buy some good 10+ game packages. Hopefully a new arena won't be too far east...Gila River is super convenient for me so I'm kind of bummed it hasn't worked out; there isn't a bad seat in that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad