Coyotes Arena Discussion (Crowdsourced real estate detective work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I can't see this team getting a hockey arena outside of tribal land. I think the tax payers are rightfully disgusted by the use of public funds for arena construction. I think there are very, very, very few people left in this country that are anything but outraged by the practice. I think even most of us die hard fans realize that it's wrong. Either spend as much renovating the existing downtown arena - ONLY as a completely immoral loop hole to avoid this going to the ballot and NOT because it actually makes any financial sense or go beg a tribe and hope they have some way of making money on this worked out that no municipality has ever been able to figure out.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
In the end, the city or state is going to shell out big time, not on the Coyotes, but on the Suns and Diamondbacks, lest they lose the teams. As long as they are going to shell out on the Suns, they might as well wrap the Coyotes into it in order to dilute the fixed costs and double the event nights.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'd go to Fiesta, wouldn't like it, but would go. Would rather Metro, but both of those have other plans already in the works. Downtown is the answer and in this market a shared venue makes the most sense.

I'm with Spirit of Lindgren on this one - those that will go, will go.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The issue isn't people will go as much as it is how often.

Coyotes need to be selling 12-14k full season STH packages and they aren't any where near that.

To be able to sell that many they have to be in a location where the largest group who can afford a full pacakage can get to the arena on a reasonable basis night in and night out. Especially on weeknights. That's just the plain truth of it.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Coyotes need to be selling 12-14k full season STH packages and they aren't any where near that.

To be able to sell that many they have to be in a location where the largest group who can afford a full pacakage can get to the arena on a reasonable basis night in and night out. Especially on weeknights. That's just the plain truth of it.
Bingo! Fiesta Mall location gives you that........unrealistic as it may be.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

I could be wrong, but I don't honestly think they will ever get that many sth's

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

In the early years in Glendale they were known to have had over 10k. It's possible.

Bingo! Fiesta Mall location gives you that........unrealistic as it may be.

I'm quite familiar with that area since I used to work at Gilbert and Southern.

You have one real access.... which is US 60, and it can be a real nightmare during rush hour as it is now.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
In the early years in Glendale they were known to have had over 10k. It's possible.

I'm quite familiar with that area since I used to work at Gilbert and Southern.

You have one real access.... which is US 60, and it can be a real nightmare during rush hour as it is now.

At least EV fans aren't driving directly into the setting sun for an hour. Not that Fiesta will happen. It's tribal or bust as far as I can guess.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think they can and will. The team needs to start winning for one thing, but this fan base is truly pathetic, as they make up all kind of excuses under the sun why not to buy/ attend games. I know some may not be able to afford ST's and it could be far to drive for others, but where there is a will there is a way.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
There are actually 2 excellent tribal locations for an arena. The first is on 101 North of the 202, near the spring training facilities. The second is just south of Ahwatukee, on the 10 about a mile south of the junction between the 10 and the 202 San Tan and the (under construction) 202 bypass.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I would be very surprised if you go that far East.
It's 1 mile east and 5 miles south of the original Tempe location. In Mesa, near Gilbert, Chandler and a straight shot down the 101 from Scottsdale.

FWIW - I live 25 miles east of Fiesta Mall and have been a STHer for 7 years. :)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
When they move to the new arena, Barroway definitely needs to hold a STH drive ala Vegas.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Stable ownership, consistently competitive team and an arena less than 20 miles from the core of their fanbase - should be pretty easy to get that many.

Fickle fan base, I have serious doubts.

The team has never released sth numbers. How do you know this?

There are actually 2 excellent tribal locations for an arena. The first is on 101 North of the 202, near the spring training facilities. The second is just south of Ahwatukee, on the 10 about a mile south of the junction between the 10 and the 202 San Tan and the (under construction) 202 bypass.

And also the best location - the old Scottsdale Six

FWIW - I live 25 miles east of Fiesta Mall and have been a STHer for 7 years. :)

As it should be!

rt

May 13, 2004
Can Barroway mend fences with Glendale? Is the real estate rebound getting that city out of the closet to on its feet yet? How can Gary Bettman walk back from that pointless letter penned only to drag Glendale? I can't believe there is any chance that the local hockey team convinces a second municipality to build them another arena.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Can Barroway mend fences with Glendale?

That would be my hope in lieu of a new arena. Perhaps a decent season under rational management might improve things. If they do end up going with a new arena (somehow), then hopefully it is in a more central or populated (with potential hockey fans) area.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Can Barroway mend fences with Glendale? Is the real estate rebound getting that city out of the closet to on its feet yet? How can Gary Bettman walk back from that pointless letter penned only to drag Glendale? I can't believe there is any chance that the local hockey team convinces a second municipality to build them another arena.

Phoenix and Scottsdale don't really care about Glendale and the arena was built almost 15 years ago. It's not like it was 3 or 4 years ago. I don't think that has any effect on a new arena in the valley. Where the arena is located, who pays for it, that all matters. The Coyotes can play in Glendale or downtown, a deal can easily be worked out, until they build a new arena. It's not like Glendale will refuse them as a tenant.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

I think the fences can easily be mended, providing there is a will to do so. As for Bettman, I believe his ego has plenty of room to walk back on his statement. I'm in agreement with you on a municipality forking out for just the Coyotes, but think a combined use facility has merit.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
When they move to the new arena, Barroway definitely needs to hold a STH drive ala Vegas.

I agree with this. I would do it though BEFORE they decide to build.
Leave it up to the fans.
You live here, do you or do you not support NHL hockey in your city?
Then on the Coyotes web site have a count down clock counting down a time that fans have to respond by buying a season ticket.
A second count UP clock increasing with each ST purchased.
Barroway sets the number as a goal and we, the fans decide whether the team stays here or not.
Attendance problem solved either way.
I always thought it was funny that each time the Red Wings played it was ALWAYS 20,027...20,027.
There was NEVER 20,027, they had just sold that many season tickets.
It will be a nervous period of time as the clock winds down, hopefully hockey fans would come through and if not we always have the Dbacks.....or do we?

I know that I would be willing to INVEST in a season ticket even if I didn't attend EVERY home game. A GREAT investment if it keeps a team thriving here.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Glendale still has Camelback Ranch to deal with.

AZSTA has pushed payments to the city back another five years and will no longer exist (sans something legislative happening) in another 8 (I think). So that puts Glendale on the hook for 100% of its costs which is around $330 million at this point. CR produces about $170k in income per year.

So the city has no incentive to give anything more to the Coyotes than they are now.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I agree with this. I would do it though BEFORE they decide to build.
Leave it up to the fans.
You live here, do you or do you not support NHL hockey in your city?
Then on the Coyotes web site have a count down clock counting down a time that fans have to respond by buying a season ticket.
A second count UP clock increasing with each ST purchased.
Barroway sets the number as a goal and we, the fans decide whether the team stays here or not.
Attendance problem solved either way.
I always thought it was funny that each time the Red Wings played it was ALWAYS 20,027...20,027.
There was NEVER 20,027, they had just sold that many season tickets.
It will be a nervous period of time as the clock winds down, hopefully hockey fans would come through and if not we always have the Dbacks.....or do we?

I know that I would be willing to INVEST in a season ticket even if I didn't attend EVERY home game. A GREAT investment if it keeps a team thriving here.

Impossible at this point. Given the last ten years or so of uncertainty surrounding the franchise. Public wants the Coyotes to show them first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad