Coyotes Arena Discussion (Crowdsourced real estate detective work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'll say the same thing I said when they announced the asu deal, let me know when construction starts and there's dry ink on an ironclad lease agreement. We're well past tell, show me.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
How much pull does Robert Sarver had in any downtown Phoenix arena happening or not happening for the Coyotes?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sounds like a fair proposal.

Yeah, our owners willing to drop $171 mill.. they clearly don't care at all about Arizona.

If this team leaves it will be for one reason: POLITICS

And that's the problem. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So if legislators don't agree to $225,000,000.00 of public monies (read: "tax dollars") to finance an arena for a failing private entertainment business, THAT is the ONE reason the team leaves, eh?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How much pull does Robert Sarver had in any downtown Phoenix arena happening or not happening for the Coyotes?

All of the pull.

The Suns have a good lease right now and are in no rush to get a new arena right this second. They can initiate the process in 4 years or so via the obsolescence clause in the lease, long after the Coyotes are dead. Sarver has expressed no interest in owning the Coyotes at this point.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So if legislators don't agree to $225,000,000.00 of public monies (read: "tax dollars") to finance an arena for a failing private entertainment business, THAT is the ONE reason the team leaves, eh?

That's not exactly what is being proposed here.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
As I've wrote before, you put this team in the right area and it will flourish. Aside from salt river fields, there are no major sports venues that host a big four team in the east valley, I'd imagine this would be the first if the team is planted in Scottsdale/south Scottsdale.

The money's there, they just need to get it there.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That's not exactly what is being proposed here.

That's exactly what is being proposed here. You can argue that it's not all upfront money, but it is tax money being deferred or forfeited to IA as part of the scheme for an arena.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Speaking of privately owned teams are there any teams owned by a state or a municipality?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
They can initiate the process in 4 years or so via the obsolescence clause in the lease, long after the Coyotes are dead.

From a pure PR or perhaps GR perspective, I can't imagine the Suns immediately getting in the Arena subsidy market while two other pro teams in the valley are making similar noise would go over well.

If Sarver waits out the lease the Suns justifiably look like the good guys. A much more favorable climate to negotiate a favorable arena deal again.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That's exactly what is being proposed here. You can argue that it's not all upfront money, but it is tax money being deferred or forfeited to IA as part of the scheme for an arena.

New tax levied or tax diverted to the team is public money.

When you label it "public money" the general implication is it comes from the entire public and without choice.

This limits itself to only those who willingly visit the district itself. Huge difference.

Don't want the Coyotes to get your public money? Stay home.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I just can't see how this has any possibility of getting the votes needed and then surviving challenges from the watch dog groups that will go after it. I still say this is a smoke screen for them to go to Uncle Gary and say they tried everything they could so he will let them move.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

Come on. That's just as disingenuous as your last statement. It's tax dollars diverted to a private company. The fact these specific dollars which otherwise would go to the general fund (belonging to everyone, or "the public") are only being collected in one tax district does not mean it's not public monies or tax dollars. That's ridiculously misleading.

I'm not even against properly structured incentivization, but don't dress it up in lies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The vote is 6-1 For the deal

In subcommittee. It still needs to hit the floor of thenSenate for COW and reading. And then repeat the process for the House.

Pump the brakes, "Done deal"-ers.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The vote is 6-1 For the deal

That's... no. :laugh:

No wonder you thought the Tempe arena was a sure thing.

When you label it "public money" the general implication is it comes from the entire public and without choice.

This limits itself to only those who willingly visit the district itself. Huge difference.

Pretty embarrassing attitude to take on your part. You know it's public money and it's backed by the state general fund. You constantly go over the top on the BoH in your support of IA, and this is no different. We can be rational without being entitled.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
In subcommittee. It still needs to hit the floor of thenSenate for COW and reading. And then repeat the process for the House.

Pump the brakes, "Done deal"-ers.

You'd think we've learned by now after how many times corporate welfare was voted down and/or failed in this state. So they received the authority to get voted on. Big deal. I hope it passes because I love the team. I just don't think it has a chance in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad