News Article: Coyotes are preferred destination for Phil Kessel (The Athletic)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Chayka on 98.7 saying the report is untrue from start to finish and he doesn't know where this rumor is coming from. Indicated that he hasn't even discussed anything for Kessel. At least he didn't confirm they didn't wanna spend the money.

I listened to it too. I can absolutely believe they didn't talk trade specifics. I can also easily believe they never got that far because we wouldn't take on his contract. Would be nice to be wrong though and there be some smoke to that fire.

Reactions: _Del_

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
The Coyotes aren't a team that's building for just next year or trying to capitalize on a window of contention yet. There are many possible reasons they would be concerned with a Kessel trade at this specific time. Just looking at him as a piece on this team I have to debate the pros and cons of that deal. Not to mention what would need to be given up to get him.

Yotes are obviously a team on a budget. That's nothing new to anyone. To what degree of budget can be debated. I really have no actual reason to totally believe the writer in Pittsburgh about what the Coyote's are willing to spend. Especially after they didn't get Domi for their pile of stuff... to their surprise. For some people... there is always a reason to hate on the Coyotes and any player who wants to play there. Add in the possible bitterness of hearing one of your stars would like to play for a franchise that's *Gasp* in a desert! How could there be ice in a desert?! haha.

Anyways... I'm not taking much of that seriously at this time. IF some actual information came out about things, then I'd be all ears. Reminds me of when the moving vans were already packing for Quebec or how OEL would never sign an extension here.. etc etc.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Chayka on 98.7 saying the report is untrue from start to finish and he doesn't know where this rumor is coming from. Indicated that he hasn't even discussed anything for Kessel. At least he didn't confirm they didn't wanna spend the money.

"Kessel says he'd be interested in Phoenix as a destination, John"
" Haha Yeah, let me stop you right there. We're not expecting to spend much. Would you take salary back? "
"Why in the world would we do that to move a 60+ pt winger on a cheap contract? "
"I think we should discuss Rust again"

----

"Is it true you wouldn't take Kessel because you can't afford it?"
"Gee, guys. I don't know where that's coming from. I never said that. We had a really vague conversation about Kessel. We never even got into specifics"

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I doubt it would happen before the season. Perhaps at the TDL if we are close and have an expendable d-man or something that Pitt would be interested in to help them out. Sounds more like Kessel has us on his "willing to be traded to" list (which is pretty nice to hear considering his list consists of only 8 teams), but nothing beyond that.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wouldn't mind having Rust, maybe we should discuss it again. Just not for Domi :laugh:
Love Rust, actually. I'd give up value for him. Arguably better fit than Domi. Very sticky. Just would have been very disappointed in that return. I'd probably have gotten over it, but very underwhelming.

Sheary would have made me cry. Again, I'd take a chance on him on the cheap, but as a Domi return, I'd borrow moose's toaster.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and Mosby

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Love Rust, actually. I'd give up value for him. Arguably better fit than Domi. Very sticky. Just would have been very disappointed in that return. I'd probably have gotten over it, but very underwhelming.

Sheary would have made me cry. Again, I'd take a chance on him on the cheap, but as a Domi return, I'd borrow moose's toaster.
Same here....fast, sticky and knows the system. Capabianco and Calgary 3rd for Rust?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Rust reminds me of Rieder. For whatever reason Rieder didnt fit in Tocchets system. I guess Rust has worked with RT before though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I believe Chayka that it's a bogus story. His first statement was "terrible reporting". Chayka is more politically savvy than to shred a guy who's right. He'd have handled it differently if it were a valid leak. The way he went after the reporter seems more like is approach if it's truly a fabrication. Not questioning the reporter, just that he had a bad source.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I believe Chayka that it's a bogus story. His first statement was "terrible reporting". Chayka is more politically savvy than to shred a guy who's right. He'd have handled it differently if it were a valid leak. The way he went after the reporter seems more like is approach if it's truly a fabrication. Not questioning the reporter, just that he had a bad source.

Chayka: The Athletic is fake news :sarcasm:

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

It wouldn't surprise me if the story was coming from the Pittsburgh side of things and never made it to Arizona, i.e. one day Jim Rutherford asks Phil Kessel where he'd prefer to go if he's traded. He answers with Arizona, Rutherford puts it on his to-do list to talk to John Chayka about the possibility of trading Kessel to the Coyotes, but hasn't gotten around to it yet. Meanwhile, Phil doesn't exactly bother calling up Tocchet/Chayka and saying that Pittsburgh asked him where he'd prefer to go in a trade and he said Arizona. That could very well be what's going on here, and the writer is just pulling things out of his ass to turn it into an article, because "Phil Kessel would prefer to go to Arizona if he were traded" isn't long enough for anything other than Twitter.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It wouldn't surprise me if the story was coming from the Pittsburgh side of things and never made it to Arizona, i.e. one day Jim Rutherford asks Phil Kessel where he'd prefer to go if he's traded. He answers with Arizona, Rutherford puts it on his to-do list to talk to John Chayka about the possibility of trading Kessel to the Coyotes, but hasn't gotten around to it yet. Meanwhile, Phil doesn't exactly bother calling up Tocchet/Chayka and saying that Pittsburgh asked him where he'd prefer to go in a trade and he said Arizona. That could very well be what's going on here, and the writer is just pulling things out of his ass to turn it into an article, because "Phil Kessel would prefer to go to Arizona if he were traded" isn't long enough for anything other than Twitter.
There were two main points in the article:
1. Kessel wants to go to Arizona
2. We told Pittsburgh we can’t afford him

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
There were two main points in the article:
1. Kessel wants to go to Arizona
2. We told Pittsburgh we can’t afford him

Yeah, long story short I was trying to say that #1 could be true (but Arizona didn't necessarily know), and John Chayka says #2 is bullshit.

I just said it in probably far too many words.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Rust reminds me of Rieder. For whatever reason Rieder didnt fit in Tocchets system. I guess Rust has worked with RT before though.

Pittsburgh has a number of excellent bottom 6 guys I'd take at the right price. Kessel is just too expensive all around.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
By "afford" Chayka could have been referring to what it would cost to trade for him?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
By "afford" Chayka could have been referring to what it would cost to trade for him?

No, because that would be a nonsense statement. The Coyotes could put together some package to get him if they really wanted. Chayka just flat out denied the story top to bottom.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not sure why AZ should pay full price on a 30 year old expensive player who is tying the hands of his current team to only trade him to us. I get Pens are miffed they missed out on Domi but we found a better option that didn't involve us alsoi dealing 5OV or other assets that would have been required to make this happen. Goligoski might be available if we draft Hughes I suppose. Even then Kessel is 30. By the time the rest of the roster has matured he will be eating up valuable budget on the downside of his career.

Reactions: RufusG

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If the price of Kessel is something around Goligoski and Merkely would you do it though? Re-sign KConn, draft Hughes and we wouldnt need to add another top 6 winger. Does this type of move sell more tickets, does it make the team competitive enough in the next two years to secure more stability with ownership that Kessels contract doesnt hurt as much on the downswing? Maybe Barroway should really put this market to the test to see if it is viable, then in 2020 after expansion happens he can sell the team if he doesnt see enough growth in the market after icing a better team.

Keller-Stepan-Kessel
Galchenyuk-Strome-Fischer
Perlini-Dvo-Panik
Crouse-Kruger-Cousins

OEL-Demers
Chychrun-Hjarlmasson
Kconn-the Russian I cant remember
Hughes

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure why AZ should pay full price on a 30 year old expensive player who is tying the hands of his current team to only trade him to us. I get Pens are miffed they missed out on Domi but we found a better option that didn't involve us alsoi dealing 5OV or other assets that would have been required to make this happen. Goligoski might be available if we draft Hughes I suppose. Even then Kessel is 30. By the time the rest of the roster has matured he will be eating up valuable budget on the downside of his career.
Exactly. 30 yo. and eating up valuable budget. That there says it in a nutshell. Kessel is not a fit on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad