News Article: Coyotes are preferred destination for Phil Kessel (The Athletic)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Exactly. 30 yo. and eating up valuable budget. That there says it in a nutshell. Kessel is not a fit on this team.
Agreed, Kessel is the exact type of player we need to stay away from: 30+ year old/winger/Expensive, it has mistake written all over it. At his skill level if he were a 1RHD or 1C(better then Stepan), different story.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He 's not even that expensive because Toronto is retaining. If you con Pittsburgh into retaining another sliver, it's even better. He's cheap as first line wings go and loves our coach.

I don't even like Phil Kessel, but a RH shot who can pot 30-30-60 is exactly what the team needs. At under $6M for two years and under $5M the next two, even better.

And Pittsburgh might even take cheap ELC guys to do it. Rowboats for battleship.

You won't find a less expensive 30goal guy available, and we'd be stupid not to explore it on the basis he is 30yoa.

Reactions: CC96 and Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
That's exactly how I feel @_Del_ . If the asking price is too high, move on. I think it makes more sense then blowing up the cupboards for ROR or Panarin. We have a great group of prospects who may or may not flourish, we should be patient with them. I'd hate to move Perlini and POJ for ROR for instance. I would be thrilled to swap Goligoski for Kessel and some small adds. It's probably a pipe dream, but Sullivans and Phils relationship could sour more of he is on the team at the start of the season, which could make him even cheaper.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd give up Perlini and POJ for ROR in a heartbeat, but I'm in about about 98% agreement there. Keep adding talent, and Kessel represents big talent at below market salary and acquisition cost.
Like I said, I 'm not even a huge fan of Phil. He's exactly what we should be looking at, however. Depressed assets. And he'd be the least warty of a wartful bunch.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Now it's been a bit since I read Chayka's retort, but it seems to me the part all seem to overlook (particularly the BOH)) is that we have young players nearing the point in which they hit their "payday" and the Yotes are being mindful of that. We'll know in coming years if there is funding available allowing the team to hang onto these valued prospects. Could be there is not and the need for a partner for AB becomes more and more critical with each passing day, but for now it seems good management.

Reactions: AZviaNJ and Jakey53

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Kessel would be lovely, but the team is kind of in no man's land. We either go all in in the youth movement, or the team starts from scratch with a new roster. Also, with how little money the team has, Phil might be the only free agent the Coyotes would afford. Then what?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Under five million in two years. Under six million right now for a 30-30-60 RH shot who scored 90 points last season. It's not a big money contract.

Based on the rumoured Domi deal, I hope the obstacle is the return and not salary. Because we're talking Goligoski's money for a legitimate first line player. He makes less than Stepan who is ideally a second line guy. You find or make the room. Saying we can't afford it is a joke.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Kessel is absolutely a fit on this team. He could boost us into the last playoff spot with his production. He can put "fannies in the seats" as the late George Steinbrenner once said. We need to hit the cap floor anyway, so salary is going to be spent. I have no idea what the acquisition price would be, but I have been surprised over the past couple of seasons with how reasonable such trades have been.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Kessel is absolutely a fit on this team. He could boost us into the last playoff spot with his production. He can put "fannies in the seats" as the late George Steinbrenner once said. We need to hit the cap floor anyway, so salary is going to be spent. I have no idea what the acquisition price would be, but I have been surprised over the past couple of seasons with how reasonable such trades have been.
Is the price for a 60 point player he has traditionally been or the 90 point player he was last year. Would u be willing to pay 5OV+? I can’t justify that price.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Keeping in mind scoring inflation:
Phil last year was in the 90's points wise, ranked 8th in league scoring.

16/17 the 90's would have put him 2nd in the league only behind McDavid but league scoring was lower. But he still jumped up, in 16/17 he was 19th ranked in the league.

15/16 he was 49th.

So he's gone from 49th > 19th > 8th.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Can't imagine Pittsburgh being interested in that.

I value him as a 30-30 player. That's what I think he produces here.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Maybe they are. Pittsburgh seems to be a motivated seller. This rumor was started in Pgh, not here so perhaps Pens management decided to test the waters.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think Pittsburgh would want a defenseman back. Their blueline is shallow, and Letang's injuries are happening more and more frequently. That helps us with taking on Kessels contract. Goose makes a lot of sense, since he has played there and fits their need. He also worked really well on RTs system...

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Two seconds and Perlini.
I'm not sure I understand this post.

You would trade perlini for Kessel?

One of our best emerging talented forwards for a guy on the backside on a youth oriented team?

I wouldn't mind seeing Kessel . He has a big contract and can be had for peanuts.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I would trade Perlini and two seconds for Kessel so fast your head would spin. And as noted previously, I'm not a big Kesssel fan.

Perlini is probably attractive to them. I imagine they'd want a better package packs though.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd do it. Easier to find Goligoski than to add a 60+ point winger for under $21M the next four years.

We'd definitely need to be active finding a D after that.

If we moved down and picked up Tanev, and picked up Kessel. That'd be a coup, for example.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Hell what if we facilitate getting Tanev to Pittsburgh. Swap picks with Vancouver with a sweetener for Tanev. Move Tanev + 2nd 2019 for Kessel. Who is more valuable Tanev or Goligoski?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hell what if we facilitate getting Tanev to Pittsburgh. Swap picks with Vancouver with a sweetener for Tanev. Move Tanev + 2nd 2019 for Kessel. Who is more valuable Tanev or Goligoski?
Goligoski is a better fit for our team. I think Tanev might be for Pittsburgh.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I bet it's more like Tanev + Perlini, but I'm still in. A proven top-end talent would be a huge get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad