News Article: Coyotes are preferred destination for Phil Kessel (The Athletic)

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Panik+POJ+Merkley+55 for Kessel (20% retained)?

Pittsburgh eats 1.36m in dead cap for four seasons. In actual cash it brings his salary down to 5.6, 5.6, 4.85, and 4.8 in the last of his four remaining years. Panik's 2.8 is both his cap and his actual salary next year.

This only saves Pittsburgh 2.64m in cap next season. It costs us an extra 2.8m in real cash.

I don't know if we can afford that. I don't know if it's worth it to Pittsburgh.

If you add in Archibald and some random two-way guy from WBS, we can cut another ~600k too.

Reactions: rt

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
What is the motivation by the Penguins to leak out this information? Makes the Yotes look pretty bad. Revenge for being slighted in the Domi trade?
Maybe, but seems to hurt Pittsburgh too. Either they're showing how desperate they are to trade Kessel and if they can't, good luck with a (more) unhappy Phil next season.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder if we can lure an investor with this. "Hey look if we could just afford to pay these guys, they really wanna play here and we could build a winner and in turn make money". Hey a guy can dream right?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Panik+POJ+Merkley+55 for Kessel (20% retained)?

Pittsburgh eats 1.36m in dead cap for four seasons. In actual cash it brings his salary down to 5.6, 5.6, 4.85, and 4.8 in the last of his four remaining years. Panik's 2.8 is both his cap and his actual salary next year.

This only saves Pittsburgh 2.64m in cap next season. It costs us an extra 2.8m in real cash.

I don't know if we can afford that. I don't know if it's worth it to Pittsburgh.
Good defensive prospects like POJ are tough to replace. Would prefer to give them a package surrounding Perlini.

Reactions: Heldig and Muppet

PHXyotes

Jul 12, 2010
This whole thing sounds like another one of Chayka's "we had some good discussions that laid the ground work for potential future deals"

I would not be surprised to see these two teams revisit a trade at the trade deadline if the Coyotes are within striking distance of the playoffs.

Reactions: Grimes and AZviaNJ

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Hey guys, haven't been around in a while but I thought I'd weigh in. Some good stuff going on! Can't wait to see Chucky play. How about Goligoski (to get rid of the $$$) + Perlini and maybe a a little sweetener and have PIT eat 1-1.5 million of Kessel's salary? Then we draft Hughes who is probably NHL ready to replace Goligoski...not sure it would be worth it but it's intriguing

Reactions: Conor Clancey

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I don’t believe we would air laundry in the sense of saying we’re not going very far above the cap, I think that’s retaliation for snuffing out the Pittsburgh offer. However, I do not see us sacrificing pieces for a 30 yr old Kessel that will likely be on the down swing in the next two years.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Hey guys, haven't been around in a while but I thought I'd weigh in. Some good stuff going on! Can't wait to see Chucky play. How about Goligoski (to get rid of the $$$) + Perlini and maybe a a little sweetener and have PIT eat 1-1.5 million of Kessel's salary? Then we draft Hughes who is probably NHL ready to replace Goligoski...not sure it would be worth it but it's intriguing

Or draft Zadina/whalstrom/tkchuck and sign a stop gap d in UFA?

Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Yeah but then our bottom pair would be complete garbage...having five legit D is a real nice luxury to have and is probably the biggest strength of the team right now. Hughes is obviously inexperienced but if we moved Golly's salary out I'd be pretty happy with him as a replacement. Honestly though, I really doubt Chayka is interested the more I think about it. Toc is going to have enough on his hands with all these young guys and trying to get Chucky to have success at the center position, without having to worry about babysitting Kessel and keeping him happy. I think we take Tkachuk somehow in the draft and walk away happy...maybe make one or two other smaller moves

Reactions: Sthlmyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The only way I'd like to add him is if Pitt was just looking to dump his salary. If we sent Panik the other way and couldn't afford the difference in money next season for that good a RHS goal scorer....that's just embarrassing.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
The longer Kessel lingers on the Pens roster the cheaper his cost. Perhaps his seemingly poor relationship with Sullivan boils over by the end of the coming season and we can acquire him with salary retained to replace Panik next year. Granted he'll be 32 by then.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This whole thing sounds like another one of Chayka's "we had some good discussions that laid the ground work for potential future deals"

I would not be surprised to see these two teams revisit a trade at the trade deadline if the Coyotes are within striking distance of the playoffs.

And Pittsburgh won't be in the playoffs? Why would they trade Kessel after carrying his hit all year? Why would the Coyotes pay full price? Why is any of that an ideal scenario for either GM?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm surprised they haven't run out their hand puppet Morgan to refute the "paying to the floor" comment. Even if it's true it looks bad.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Kessel is the type of skill player that we need. But, keep in mind his numbers were on a stacked offensive team. I suspect his numbers would drop as a Coyote. I also think his numbers drop because of his age over time. 6.8 mill 30+ year old wingers are the type of player we should stay away from. If Pitt retained, I would feel differently. The cost will be extravagant based on his numbers last year and we would be buying at the top.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Good defensive prospects like POJ are tough to replace. Would prefer to give them a package surrounding Perlini.
I was thinking that too.

Perlini + lottery protected 2019 1st + Dineen??. Not going to happen. Coyotes cant give up enough to get him.

Still: Trade for Kessel. Draft Tkachuk.

Tkachuk - Stepan - Keller
Panik - Galchenyuk - Kessel
Dvorak - Strome - Fischer
Crouse - Kruger - Cousins

Reactions: slv

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was thinking that too.

Perlini + lottery protected 2019 1st + Dineen??. Not going to happen. Coyotes cant give up enough to get him.

Still: Trade for Kessel. Draft Tkachuk.

Tkachuk - Stepan - Keller
Panik - Galchenyuk - Kessel
Dvorak - Strome - Fischer
Crouse - Kruger - Cousins
I like Tkachuk. I wouldn’t put him in the nhl next year. If he’s willing to sacrifice BU for London, I’d give him 9 games. I’d even think about spacing them across 18 games if he can hang a little. Plus max ELC and max bonus, obviously.

PHXyotes

Jul 12, 2010
And Pittsburgh won't be in the playoffs? Why would they trade Kessel after carrying his hit all year? Why would the Coyotes pay full price? Why is any of that an ideal scenario for either GM?
Pittsburgh will most likely be in the playoffs. I dont think we pay full price for him either. However I wouldnt be surprised if there is something there at the deadline. What the extent of that deal might be idk. Picks? Prospects? Roster players? Combination of all? I dont know.

It just seems odd to me that this comes out. I tend to believe that all of these sorts of stories that "leak" out have a motivation behind them.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Chayka on 98.7 saying the report is untrue from start to finish and he doesn't know where this rumor is coming from. Indicated that he hasn't even discussed anything for Kessel. At least he didn't confirm they didn't wanna spend the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad