News Article: Coyotes are preferred destination for Phil Kessel (The Athletic)

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Article is behind a paywall, but here’s the part that matters:

Multiple sources have confirmed to The Athletic that Phil Kessel, while perfectly willing to remain with the Penguins, isn’t opposed to a trade that would end his time in Pittsburgh.

His preferred destination for a trade, though, appears to be out of the running.

Kessel would be willing to play for the Arizona Coyotes because of his relationship with head coach Rick Tocchet.

However, the Coyotes have informed the Penguins that such a transaction isn’t likely to happen for financial reasons. Kessel is owed $6.8 million per season for four more years — the Maple Leafs are responsible for the other $1.2 million of his contract — and the Coyotes simply aren’t willing to take on that kind of money. Arizona management told the Penguins it is intending on merely reaching the salary cap floor during the 2018-19 season.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The article also confirmed the Pens offer for Domi. Simon plus one of Rust or Sheary.

I’d love for Chayka to make this happen. Maybe get a small retention on Kessel and send back salary like Panik and we can make it work. Pens said yesterday they’re looking for depth, so maybe multiple pieces for Kessel.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
His preferred destination for a trade, though, appears to be out of the running.

"Kessel would be willing to play for the Arizona Coyotes because of his relationship with head coach Rick Tocchet.
However, the Coyotes have informed the Penguins that such a transaction isn’t likely to happen for financial reasons."

Bummer that it sounds like we're telling people we're chillin at the cap floor. Who knows if we'll ever spend more than that ever again. Hopefully, we get some investors. Maybe it's because we have to sign Keller, Dvorak, Perlini, and Chychrun soon though. Who knows.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
@rt Didn't you say like a week ago you'd love to add Kessel?
HF glitched out on my and wouldn't let me add a reply with the quote until I logged out and switched browsers.

I would absolutely love to add Kessel. Nude cartwheels down the street blowing out a vuvuzela shoved in my ass.

Instead, we'll probably just tell Connauton we can't afford him, pick up a 4th liner via UFA, and trade for Hossa's contract.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What would a deal even look like?

Kessel (1 mil retained), 5.8mil

Panik, 2.8 mil
Capobianco
Merkley
Archibald (take him back, he's owed NHL money)
2018 2nd
2019 conditional 1st

Can we afford a 3 mil bump? That package isn't all that inspiring, but the Pens are boxed in as Kessel's list is only 8 teams, and they may need to move him before training camp if Sullivan doesn't want him back on the bench at all. Pens are looking for depth and this deal gives them a top 9 forward and two young players who are probably a year away. Plus Archibald, who they are familiar with.

For reference, here's what Pitt gave up to Toronto for a younger Kessel (with 1.2 mil retained), plus Tim Erixon, Tyler Biggs, and a 2nd:

Nick Spaling
Kasperi Kapanen
Harrington
2016 1st
2016 3rd

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
They want to get to the bare minimum. How pathetic of a hockey organization we have.

They’re about to give OEL a big raise... pay a million more for Galchenyuk than they would have Domi... plus a load of ELCs in the core group are going to be ending next year (including Keller).

EDIT: I forgot about Hammer’s pending raise.

If taking on Kessel and his fat contract meant they could hoist the Stanley Cup next year it might be worth it. But he probably won’t and it’s not.

Last edited:

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
They’re about to give OEL a big raise... pay a million more for Galchenyuk than they would have Domi... plus a load of ELCs in the core group are going to be ending next year (including Keller).

If taking on Kessel and his fat contract meant they could hoist the Stanley Cup next year it might be worth it. But he probably won’t and it’s not.

great points

rt

May 13, 2004
What would a deal even look like?

Kessel (1 mil retained), 5.8mil

Panik, 2.8 mil
Capobianco
Merkley
Archibald (take him back, he's owed NHL money)
2018 2nd
2019 conditional 1st
What's the condition? Also, that's a lot of contracts headed their way. Maybe drop a pick and replace Capobianco with POJ, so they don't have to count his contract towards their upper limit?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't know why Pittsburgh would consider that, but sure.

One would think if there was real interest in dealing him (especially here) that Domi's name would have popped up naturally in connection. It hasn't, even afterward.

I can't buy that they were interested in Domi and in moving Kessel and there wasn't serious discussion including the two. Seems impossibly odd.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What's the condition? Also, that's a lot of contracts headed their way. Maybe drop a pick and replace Capobianco with POJ, so they don't have to count his contract towards their upper limit?

I'd think the condition would be playoff based. If we make the playoffs, they get our 2019 first. If we don't, they get the 2020 1st.

rt

May 13, 2004
Panik+POJ+Merkley+55 for Kessel (20% retained)?

Pittsburgh eats 1.36m in dead cap for four seasons. In actual cash it brings his salary down to 5.6, 5.6, 4.85, and 4.8 in the last of his four remaining years. Panik's 2.8 is both his cap and his actual salary next year.

This only saves Pittsburgh 2.64m in cap next season. It costs us an extra 2.8m in real cash.

I don't know if we can afford that. I don't know if it's worth it to Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad