News Article: Coyotes Announce Proposed Arena Location (UPD: Spiked by ASU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
How so? Without Ice Edge holdings keeping interest alive while others failed this team is gone in 09.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
How so? Without Ice Edge holdings keeping interest alive while others failed this team is gone in 09.

Because Ice Edge Holdings' bid failed soon after Reinsdorf's, and that's when the league stepped in and Glendale paid them the $25 million ransom.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
ALB also saved the team by putting the group together we have now.

Also a fact, the team had one foot in Seattle.

I personally can't say i'm a fan of ALB but facts are facts

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Without Anthony LeBlanc SPECIFICALLY this team is gone in 09.

Regardless of why or where we are at now, or the tone of which he speaks. You have to be appreciative of that fact.

In order for a team to be saved, there must be never another threat of relocation to follow once the team is brought. The threat of relocation still existed even after the purchase as a result of having a 5 year exit clause in the sweetheart deal the ownership got. All IA had to do once the 5 years was up was to demand more money from Glendale year after year or the team is gone.

Facts are facts.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

I'd have to agree here.

Truth is this team could've been long gone but it has bought us 7 years of good and rough times.

I'll be forever thankful for the memories this team has created. I'm not the biggest fan of this ownership group, but this team could've been gone years ago. I'll take what I can get.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'd have to agree here.

Truth is this team could've been long gone but it has bought us 7 years of good and rough times.

I'll be forever thankful for the memories this team has created. I'm not the biggest fan of this ownership group, but this team could've been gone years ago. I'll take what I can get.

There's nothing to agree here with seeing his argument was debunked.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The jury is out on whether it has been "saved" or not.

Fact is, if you're going to give LeBlanc credit for "saving" the team, you also have to give Glendale much, much more credit for shelling out $50 million in ransom money to the league, without which the team would have been gone to Winnipeg. Glendale is the real hero of 2009 if you call keeping the team in AZ "heroism," and it's not even close. And the only reason LeBlanc and his buddies were able to keep the team here in AZ for as long as they have is because Glendale kept paying out $15 million a year in subsidies.

But if you must know, I do give LeBlanc and co. credit for finally actually buying the team. However, every credit I give them for that, I deduct five credits for how they've mishandled it since.

And, more applicable to current events, based on their track record I wouldn't trust this ownership group's assurances any more than I'd be able to shut up Don Cherry.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

IA and Leblanc didn't save ****. They are babysitters the NHL found that could come up with just enough capital secure the LOC needed to 'buy' the team.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Our $50 million in tax dollars are what saved this team. The franchise is worth way more than the loans the owners have out for it. This investment was a gold mine for them. They are going to come out smelling like roses and Glendale will be stuck with an empty building and nothing to show for the $50 million in extortion or subsidies they've already paid.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Our $50 million in tax dollars are what saved this team. The franchise is worth way more than the loans the owners have out for it. This investment was a gold mine for them. They are going to come out smelling like roses and Glendale will be stuck with an empty building and nothing to show for the $50 million in extortion or subsidies they've already paid.

Your IDIOTIC council gave them the boot too leaving the rink dark when the team leaves Glendale forever.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Your IDIOTIC council gave them the boot too leaving the rink dark when the team leaves Glendale forever.

They voided a ****** deal when they were able to. Nothing more. The arena will do just fine without the Coyotes.

IA has only kept the team here when they've had sweetheart deals to subsidize any losses. Let's see how things go without such a deal. :nod:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
They voided a ****** deal when they were able to. Nothing more. The arena will do just fine without the Coyotes.

IA has only kept the team here when they've had sweetheart deals to subsidize any losses. Let's see how things go without such a deal. :nod:

If the Yotes leave AZ, and the Suns build a new arena, what is gonna go to GRA? It will be no artists first choice. The Suns arena will be in a better location, and it will be nicer.

Glendale is gonna be left with an empty arena.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If the Yotes leave AZ, and the Suns build a new arena, what is gonna go to GRA? It will be no artists first choice. The Suns arena will be in a better location, and it will be nicer.

Ice Capades! :laugh:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

The council are morons as well. That just shows how stupid the owners are to let them get out of the crap deal they were locked into. Now it's turned into a pissing contest and neither side is big enough to bury the hatchet so everybody loses. The owners would rather chase away fans and corporate sponsors for a prayer and the city would rather let the building turn into a huge sink hole for their budget. Bunch of rich, corrupt, greedy jerks looking for their next bribe/subsidy. I'd rather they all left the state permanently and let some semi-honest adults run things.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

We have had this discussion with you before about Glendale and you chose to ignore the facts. I'm not going to waste my time and energy on the matter with Glendale as it has been beaten to death too many times. :deadhorse: It's on the IDIOTIC owners for the mess the franchise is in.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The council are morons as well. That just shows how stupid the owners are to let them get out of the crap deal they were locked into. Now it's turned into a pissing contest and neither side is big enough to bury the hatchet so everybody loses. The owners would rather chase away fans and corporate sponsors for a prayer and the city would rather let the building turn into a huge sink hole for their budget. Bunch of rich, corrupt, greedy jerks looking for their next bribe/subsidy. I'd rather they all left the state permanently and let some semi-honest adults run things.

So much yes to all of this.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

How can you say that for sure when "artists" are more concerned about how much they're going to paid instead?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The IDIOTIC council was the only thing that kept the Coyotes from becoming the Jets again in 2009. I don't know how old you are so I don't know how much you actually remember from eight years ago, but the dogged insistence around here of casting Glendale as the evil, incompetent morons who deserve to have an albatross of an arena hung around their necks when the Coyotes move on to greener pastures is frankly sickening.

Glendale stepped up and built the arena when the Coyotes couldn't persuade Scottsdale to build them one. They were on the verge of moving to Portland when Glendale stepped in.

Glendale paid $50 million when one bid after another (including the vaunted, cherished Ice Edge group's bid) evaporated when the bidders couldn't get enough subsidy money or, like Hulsizer, turned out to be emperors with no clothes. Doing so saved the Coyotes from relocation back to Winnipeg.

Glendale agreed - barely - to a horrendous lease agreement that was extorted out of them in the 11th hour that cost their taxpayers $15 million a year in thinly-disguised public subsidies. Again, this staved off another impending relocation out of state. The group that bent them over the barrel like that repaid their generosity by failing to live up to their terms of the lease and hiring former city officials who helped get the lease signed - a major, glaring conflict of interest that any businessperson or group worth their salt would have guarded against.

Glendale did not give the Coyotes "the boot." They terminated the lease - WITH CAUSE - and renegotiated a more feasible lease with a more capable arena manager. In other words, they finally got fiscally smart. But they never kicked the team out of Glendale or Gila River Arena. The team chooses to spin it that way to make it appear it was Glendale's fault and generate public sympathy, when they do not in any sense deserve it.

I understand sports fan passion, but calling Glendale idiots NOW is just stupid. If anything, they were idiots BEFORE - when they built an arena in a former cotton field, when they paid the NHL's ransom money, when they agreed to an annual subsidy.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How can you say that for sure when "artists" are more concerned about how much they're going to paid instead?

The touring acts are first and foremost concerned with how much they're going to get paid. The way the system works doesn't mean GRA becomes a more enticing destination without the Coyotes.

There are three components in the tour dynamics:

1) Acts
2) Promoters (sometimes AEG, though not always the promoter for each GRA event)
3) Venues (GRA)

The Promoters (2) guarantee the Acts (1) the greater of a guaranteed minimum payout or a % of the total profits (commonly 80% I believe). The Venue fees are usually fixed, and the Promoter covers those as part of the guarantee to the Act.

The Acts on tour typically shop around for the greatest guaranteed minimum payouts. It's up to the Promoter to work out a competitive bid balancing the guaranteed payout against expected ticket revenue and venue costs. With a very real risk that the Promoter could end up losing money.

GRA without the Coyotes only affects one variable: maybe they can lower their Venue costs. But it's not like the place is overbooked with events now. If reducing Venue costs would make a big difference in attracting Acts/Promoters you'd expect that would have already happened long ago.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

That's pretty much it. They've both poisoned the well too much for anything productive to take place.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad