News Article: Coyotes Announce Proposed Arena Location (UPD: Spiked by ASU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This is a land where hopes become "facts". If you raised eyebrows at the ASU TIF hurdles, it was a "done deal" according to some posters, for example.
I think it's reasonable to think the NHL doesn't want to undermine expansion fees, but it also has to weigh that against the realities. I look forward to a "if you knew anything about.." diversion instead of a citation regarding the no relocation promise.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Quebec likely won't ever pay the expansion price. Probably not Seattle either.
Well I think Seattle probably will if they ever get an arena. Rich ownership group.

Sadly the "Arizona doesn't deserve a hockey team" talk now isn't as toxic as the "team is staying" talk.

Only toxic to the serial cynics of the Coyote world....

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The NHL just landed a 500 mill expansion fee for a team 300 miles away. The NHL had to give Vegas assurances that the Coyotes were not for sale and if they ever were for sale, they weren't leaving the Phoenix market any time soon. They would be screwing Vegas and any chance of a future franchise fee in the next 5 years if they let the Coyotes move. When you do the math, the Coyotes are not moving, it doesn't make sense for the other owners.

Foley was going to pay the $500 million regardless because he did not want to take over another team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The only thing Dreger is right about is the team moving East

Heh? What else is East other than Quebec? KC? Nobody in that town even wants them. Hamilton? Over TML and BUF and OTT's dead bodies.

EDIT: haha. Ohhhh! You meant the East valley. As far as I can tell they are 15 months from being homeless and have no agreement of any kind. It's ridiculous to pretend to have any confidence at this point. Especially with these booger eaters at the helm.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He transitioned to the only vacant NHL ready arena in North America. Not hinting at anything special. Anybody can figure out what he said.

There's a team that's future is questionable.
Where is there an NHL ready arena?
Quebec.

That's it.

And Quebec would be the worst option for the team to relocate. Fans there are the most disrespectful/annoying out of any of the potential relocation spots that have rumored over the years. After how many of them have acted I'd love to see their fancy new arena funded by western Canada deteriorate with only ever having a QMJHL team play in it.

If the team moves I'd like for them to stay in the west. Fans from Seattle haven't been hostile, they've dealt with losing a team before.

Winnipeg fans were twice as bad as GTA fans who were twice as bad as QC fans. You guys are either new or have terrible memories.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Foley was going to pay the $500 million regardless because he did not want to take over another team.

Where did you hear that? I'm sure he asked if there was going to be a team for sale or a relocation team available at a less price.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
On the surface it doesn't but if you followed the Las Vegas threads in BoH you would've known Foley said it himself when he was asked.

So if he could have the Coyotes and their infrastructure, plus young talent pool for 300 mill, he would rather pay 500 mill and start from scratch. Explain the reasoning to me? The math doesn't make sense short term or long term. Foley might have said it for other reasons knowing no team is moving to Vegas.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So if he could have the Coyotes and their infrastructure, plus young talent pool for 300 mill, he would rather pay 500 mill and start from scratch. Explain the reasoning to me? The math doesn't make sense short term or long term. Foley might have said it for other reasons knowing no team is moving to Vegas.

I dunno. Billionaires often do some strange things for strange reasons, but.....

By putting up $500 million he got to.....

- Build a team the way he wants it from day one.
- Place that team where he wants it.

He doesn't have to worry about taking on existing issues from bad contracts or personnel, to any legal wrangling that might occur from moving it somewhere else. To some people that's a premium worth paying for.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I dunno. Billionaires often do some strange things for strange reasons, but.....

He doesn't have to worry about taking on existing issues from bad contracts or personnel, to any legal wrangling that might occur from moving it somewhere else. To some people that's a premium worth paying for.

This would easily be settled by providing an actual link in which he stated so. Saying it was over in the boh actually weakens your case.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

If he purchased the Coyotes it would be to move them to Vegas. He could still build the team however he wants to but he would start with a good young team and assets versus leftovers from expansion. Any legal issues would be solved before purchase. If he paid 300 mill for the Coyotes, he could cut bait on any contracts like Tip/Smith whom ever, and still be way ahead versus the 500 mil.

I don't doubt he might have said it, but for other reasons, like protecting the NHL.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
cobra427 said:
The NHL had to give Vegas assurances that the Coyotes were not for sale and if they ever were for sale, they weren't leaving the Phoenix market any time soon.*

Still looking for a citation for either of these statements... :dunno:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Winnipeg fans were twice as bad as GTA fans who were twice as bad as QC fans. You guys are either new or have terrible memories.

From my experience the Quebec fans have been much worse than the Winnipeg ones. I had talked to many respectable Winnipeg fans before they got the Jets back. And also since.

While with Quebec fans, I've talked to very, very few.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

I remember the organized campaign to drive down attendance at the arena using an assault on the Arizona Republic's comments section, inundating every comment section after articles on the Coyotes games.

From my experience the Quebec fans have been much worse than the Winnipeg ones. I had talked to many respectable Winnipeg fans before they got the Jets back. And also since.

While with Quebec fans, I've talked to very, very few.
Unfortunately there were so many Winnipeg fans on HF's Business of Hockey section who were anything but respectable. I include here those who willingly allowed the standards of acceptable posts to fall by the wayside. Remember the Winnipeg fans posting photos of an empty arena actually taken an hour before puck drop? I recall reading in the closing of the last megathread that the powers that be would once again expect the standards for posting to be observed. It was just sickening that they allowed us to be the pinatas for Canadian anger over American encroachment on their game.

Some Quebec fans were obnoxious, but not at all as bad as the Winnipeg fans. While they were crap to us on the BOH, they didn't take part in the organized social media attack perpetrated by the Winnipeggers.

You don't have much experience with either in that case.

Plausible deniability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad