News Article: Coyotes Announce Proposed Arena Location (UPD: Spiked by ASU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah that's what I'm saying. There's no agreement and with how this relationship has gone, who knows if they can even negotiate one. I guess it's good that there's an arena management company in between the two sides to referee.

GRA NEEDS the Coyotes, and the Coyotes need somewhere to play. Should be an easy negotiation.

IF they get a new arena plan underway, the Coyotes will get an extension of two or three years with AEG and then they are gone from Glendale.

That is.... if Glendale approves. They still have final say on what AEG negotiates. But it would be very bad for them from an optics standpoint if they nitpick at it.

As long as the Glendale City Council is controlled by a career politician <slash> trophy hunter, and a wannabe power broker <slash> tire salesman, they will never get along. In fact, the recent elections adding Joyce Clark into the mix probably pushed them even farther apart.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's kind of the point, guy. If they haven't even made it far enough to talk about it, they're waaaaay behind on a massive project that will take years. We get it's a marathon and not a sprint. But the gun went off 10 minutes ago and we're still sitting at the start line, trying to figure out how to tie our shoes. We get that the marathon ain't over, but it sure doesn't look good.

:laugh:Patience young man.

For me it's more a question of competence than whether it's a con or not.

I moseyed on over to Reddit earlier and even a lot them are done with the talk as well.

Competence? Really?

Maybe it was the Executive VP of Hockey Operations. He seems a bit curmudgeonly.

:laugh: and brilliant.

GRA NEEDS the Coyotes, and the Coyotes need somewhere to play. Should be an easy negotiation.

It will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
There was a guy around here who had the occasional inside track on off ice things, like the uniforms. Anyone recall who he was? Perhaps we can ping him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There was a guy around here who had the occasional inside track on off ice things, like the uniforms. Anyone recall who he was? Perhaps we can ping him.

Yep. I think he got tired of the negativity and being attacked and left. His last username was Kylo Ren. I liked having him around. Bummer he got chased off.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Yep. I think he got tired of the negativity and being attacked and left. His last username was Kylo Ren. I liked having him around. Bummer he got chased off.

“The pessimist sees only the tunnel; the optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel; the realist sees the tunnel and the light - and the next tunnel.”
―Sydney J. Harris

If you've been a Coyotes fan long, it's hard not to see tunnels, but lately I see more and more light.

Last edited:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
“The pessimist sees only the tunnel; the optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel; the realist sees the tunnel and the light - and the next tunnel.â€
―Sydney J. Harris

If you've been a Coyotes fan long, it's hard not to see tunnels, but lately I see more and more light.

Still would've been nice for them to just ignore him and let others enjoy it

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

The stuff you're referring to looks more like some lucky guesses at this point seeing he/she was wrong a number of times on the other matters and refused to admit he/she was wrong when others corrected him/her.

He/she was asked at times to back up his/her own claims and chose to use either use the victim card or not respond instead.

It's not fair to all Coyotes fans for others to make statements about the issues with the Coyotes that they can't back their words up with regardless of that individuals attitude with the franchise.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The ones who won't leave seem to thrive on being attacked :laugh: Like Emperor Palpatine or something (so there must have been some good in Kylo Ren?)

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
The whole arena think is frustrating, I remember driving home after games in Phoenix pre Elman and the drama if the team was staying or not, then with Glendale it has felt like one bad thing after another happened. Went through the real estate crash Moyes the BK Ice edge, Jameson, and Ice Edge again, then add and subtract partners and governors, no solid lease deal and the most amateur city government ever and I just want it to end. Announce something when its done but this whole two weeks thing is for the birds.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
The whole arena think is frustrating, I remember driving home after games in Phoenix pre Elman and the drama if the team was staying or not, then with Glendale it has felt like one bad thing after another happened. Went through the real estate crash Moyes the BK Ice edge, Jameson, and Ice Edge again, then add and subtract partners and governors, no solid lease deal and the most amateur city government ever and I just want it to end. Announce something when its done but this whole two weeks thing is for the birds.
Thanks, those memories and the scabs were almost healed (two weeks) and you heartless b***ard just ripped 'em wide open. I'm feeling faint from the blood loss...

KG

Sep 23, 2010
And remember the suitors before IceArizona... all interviewed on FoxSports only to be ripped away when they couldn't secure financing. Even the current group was saddled with an outrageous Fortress loan, and Barroway bailed them out.

The best teams seem to be run by billionaires, who can afford the losses associated with the southern markets.

DouX

Keeping Arizona Icy
Mar 5, 2008
Scottsdale
Also posted this in the Business Thread, but just wondering what you all thought..

As an ASU grad and Coyotes fan the idea of having my favorite hockey team sharing a building with the Sun Devils is an exciting proposition. I was thinking about where the arena would be built and there seems to be one or two spots where everyone thinks it will happen (Karsten location or across from Oceanside Arena).

But I wonder if ASU would consider building the arena right on campus, on Mill Avenue and University Dr. It seems crazy but they already tried to build USA Basketball a facility in the open parking lot on Mill Ave in addition to adding underground parking, a hotel and apartments.

Source: USA BB Facility

I wonder if this location would be sufficient as it would be minutes from the lightrail, restaurants, shops. Tempe also plans on the addition of streetcars that will connect much of Tempe to this location.

Source: Streetcar Tempe

I think it could work. I don't have any proof pointing towards this location, but if they were willing to build a facility for USA Basketball here then why not the Coyotes?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It would be a nice spot but building a practice facility for team USA is not the same thing as 15-20,000 seats for multiple teams.

DouX

Keeping Arizona Icy
Mar 5, 2008
Scottsdale
It would be a nice spot but building a practice facility for team USA is not the same thing as 15-20,000 seats for multiple teams.

No it's not, but is it enough space to make it happen? Of course some of the office buildings or retail space may be compromised.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No it's not, but is it enough space to make it happen? Of course some of the office buildings or retail space may be compromised.

Given that they have always talked about an athletics facilities district location (where Karsten was) + the added expense of building in a more dense area, I doubt the spot you're talking about is under much consideration. You also have to consider ingress/egress to that spot, which is bad enough on days without games.

DouX

Keeping Arizona Icy
Mar 5, 2008
Scottsdale
Given that they have always talked about an athletics facilities district location (where Karsten was) + the added expense of building in a more dense area, I doubt the spot you're talking about is under much consideration. You also have to consider ingress/egress to that spot, which is bad enough on days without games.

Traffic in that area would be a nightmare. I guess Karsten makes the most sense given the amount of land available. I'm curious to see what will become of this location though.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Traffic in that area would be a nightmare. I guess Karsten makes the most sense given the amount of land available. I'm curious to see what will become of this location though.

Big parking lot next to Tempe Marketplace and shuttles from the lot to the arena on game days, maybe?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Said it before, but worth repeating, a stadium near an existing or planned streetcar line would be nice.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
This fanbase needs to be united again and having a stable home will bring us closer to that goal.

:nod:

It's a good thing that it's been over a year and things are still quiet. When it comes to big business dealings amongst multiple parties that's a feat in and of itself.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Said it before, but worth repeating, a stadium near an existing or planned streetcar line would be nice.

The only athletic district site currently planned for easy streetcar access would be to the north of the football stadium. Conversely that wouldn't be idea access to the light rail. The optimal location at the moment for a new arena is probably to the east of Wells Fargo somewhere along Rural road. Could extend the streetcar a little further down Rio Salado. Then again who knows what the athletic facilities master plan might look like. Maybe there are significant infrastructure changes done east of Rural that would make a location there more accessible.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The only athletic district site currently planned for easy streetcar access would be to the north of the football stadium. Conversely that wouldn't be idea access to the light rail. The optimal location at the moment for a new arena is probably to the east of Wells Fargo somewhere along Rural road. Could extend the streetcar a little further down Rio Salado. Then again who knows what the athletic facilities master plan might look like. Maybe there are significant infrastructure changes done east of Rural that would make a location there more accessible.

I use street car and light rail interchangeably, but technically not the same I suppose. I probably meant to say light rail. Bottom line, a convenient and efficient way to get to games without driving should be looked at. If you've ever done it in Boston, NY, etc. you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad