Coyotes 2023-24 Training Camp Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
cxBB4U0.png

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Does Boyd stick around after clearing waivers? Seems to me that we would be short a W if he and Guenther both go down to Tucson.

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli Bjugstad Crouse
Carcone Cooley Zucker
OBrien McBain Kerfoot

Wondering if waiving him now is a strategy so that we don't have to waive him later.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Does Boyd stick around after clearing waivers? Seems to me that we would be short a W if he and Guenther both go down to Tucson.

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli Bjugstad Crouse
Carcone Cooley Zucker
OBrien McBain Kerfoot

Wondering if waiving him now is a strategy so that we don't have to waive him later.

Could be. If I recall, if a player clears waivers, they don't have to be placed on waivers for the next 30 days to be sent down, even if they stay in the NHL at first.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Surprised Carcone made it over Guenther. Expected both to start in Tucson.

Good on Carcone though!
2 factors at play is my guess. Primary is Guenther is not ready for scoring role and would be better served playing more minutes in minors. Secondary Carcone has one way contract so eating his roughly $800K plus Guenther's $900K plus contract doesn't make sense after considering Primary factor.

CoSi

Nov 15, 2021
So we said we're carrying 14, these moves leaves us with 12 forwards?

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Surprised Carcone made it over Guenther. Expected both to start in Tucson.

Good on Carcone though!

They don't have to worry about proper development for Carcone. He is what he is at this point. Guenther is certainly the better player, but Carcone seems like a fill-in while they take it slow with Guenther and that's a good thing. Good investments take time and I'm so glad to see the team living this principle.

I think Carcone has the potential to surprise us a bit this season if he sticks though.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Boyd getting waived but not assigned to Tucson probably means he's an extra NHL forward, and by waiving him now they can send him down if they see 2 players (assuming we're going with 14 forwards) they like on waivers. If not he stays up.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Boyd gets too much shit. He has put up 70 points over the last two seasons. That’s not nothing. But, he’s a tad too expensive and he’s been surpassed on the depth chart. I bet if his salary was closer to 1M than it is 2M he’d be claimed on waivers.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Boyd gets too much shit. He has put up 70 points over the last two seasons. That’s not nothing. But, he’s a tad too expensive and he’s been surpassed on the depth chart. I bet if his salary was closer to 1M than it is 2M he’d be claimed on waivers.
Agreed, I always jokingly call him elite 1C Travis Boyd but he's good. If he's our 13th forward that means our depth is waaaaaaaaay better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad