Coyotes 2023-24 Training Camp Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I get missing. It’s the trading up with extra draft capital and then being smug about it to the media.
Believe your own stuff can't possibly stink can make people do crazy things.

For the faults of all the pre-Chayka regimes at least in the end they more or less admitted they were guessing at times. Earnest failure is a little more charming than Wile-E-Coyote's rocket going off in his own hand.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Surprised to see Guenther go down but not mad about it. He’ll go down and play tons of minutes, top PP unit and add some muscle.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Most of you gave up on Hayton.
Patience can be hard sometimes.
Let's be honest here. Hayton has come a long way, but he is by no means a 1C, and let's not forget, he is playing with our best winger on one side and a top two on the other. If we had good depth at C he would be real good 2 or 3C.

Reactions: knich

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Most of you gave up on Hayton.
Patience can be hard sometimes.
Yeah but at some point that runs out. Hayton flashed every couple games. Soderstrom really only had one game that shootout for.me, that game vs VGK. I believe that was Jan 2021.

I hope I'm wrong but sometimes players just don't pan out. And it's not always just on them.
I get missing. It’s the trading up with extra draft capital and then being smug about it to the media.
This part always makes it so much worse. It was even just moving a 3rd. We moved a 2nd. Then pretty much lost all of our picks the next draft. Miserable.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Soderstrom didn’t make it. Kinda tossing the towel on him. He’s just so unimpressive in every way. He’s not a great skater, he’s small and can’t hit, he gets knocked off the puck so easily and isn’t great positionally, and he can’t score. He just doesn’t really do anything.
This is what I said before he was drafted. I told @Grimes he was the only guy rumored to be in our range (before we traded up) that I didn’t want.

Having said all that, and while agreeing with you completely, I still think there’s a little hope for him left. No hope left of hitting his ceiling. But some hope left of exceeding his floor.

If you claim him there is little doubt Buffalo claims him back before he gets ro Tucson.
If he clears we could trade for him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah but at some point that runs out. Hayton flashed every couple games. Soderstrom really only had one game that shootout for.me, that game vs VGK. I believe that was Jan 2021.

I

Yeah that’s the thing with Soderstrom. It’s not like he had the big junior season like Hayton or the big WJC. Hayton did things at lower levels that got us excited. Soderstrom hasn’t. He’s pretty much just been an anonymous vanilla NPC at every stop.

Reactions: justin323032

rt

May 13, 2004
Soderstrom’s combined (AHL, NHL, SHL) per 82 rates are 5g 23a 28pts and +\- of -20 (he’s a combined -58 in 237 NHL, AHL, and SHL games).

Also in his 50 NHL games he has 5 takeaways and 30 giveaways. Averages less than one hit and less than one shot per game.

• Haha
Reactions: moosemeister

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Soderstrom’s combined (AHL, NHL, SHL) per 82 rates are 5g 23a 28pts and +\- of -20 (he’s a combined -58 in 237 NHL, AHL, and SHL games).

Also in his 50 NHL games he has 5 takeaways and 30 giveaways. Averages less than one hit and less than one shot per game.
I just keep thinking of David Rundblad, but even he had an exciting junior career before fizzling out

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hayton is a good solid player. Does a lot of little thing that lend to being successful. People need to get over what position he was drafted.
He does everything very well with the talent he has, a very solid player as you stated. Having said that, he is not a 1C talent. Nothing to do where he was drafted.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah that’s the thing with Soderstrom. It’s not like he had the big junior season like Hayton or the big WJC. Hayton did things at lower levels that got us excited. Soderstrom hasn’t. He’s pretty much just been an anonymous vanilla NPC at every stop.
Soderstrom and Guenther, two players I think we were counting on who did not play well in preseason. Soderstrom time is running out, and Guenther needs to get his confidence back or whatever it is that he had last year.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
So what’s our forward lines now?

one of these?

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli Bjugstad Crouse
Kerfoot Cooley Zucker
Boyd McBain Carcone / O‘Brien

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli Cooley Crouse
Kerfoot Bjugstad Zucker
Boyd McBain Carcone/ O’Brien

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
IMO, when I look at the roster, it’s saying “the NHL is not a development league.”
Nothing more insidious (regarding any individual players) than that.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
So what’s our forward lines now?

one of these?

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli Bjugstad Crouse
Kerfoot Cooley Zucker
Boyd McBain Carcone / O‘Brien

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli Cooley Crouse
Kerfoot Bjugstad Zucker
Boyd McBain Carcone/ O’Brien
1st one.

Boyd likely the nightly healthy scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad