Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Roster Discussion Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We're roughly a third of the way through the season and Dryden Hunt has many goals as Taylor Hall, but has played 11 less games.

Reactions: moosemeister

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
How does everyone rate our current core / players signed longer than this season and then prospects on a rate of untouchable to move them the hell out?

Roster:
Chychrun/Dvo - would need a dumb overpayment as in being included in a package for Matthews or McAvoy. Aka the center piece of a package to get a player that's in a tier above them. No less or lateral movements due to their contract and being homegrown. Just about as untouchable as you can get.
Garland
Schmaltz/Keller (if Schmaltz wasn't progressing as a center Keller would be a notch above him. If Keller wasn't only 22, Schmaltz would be a notch above him)
OEL
Kuemper
Pitlick
Crouse/Oesterle
Larsson
Fischer

Prospects:
Soderstrom (I think our lack of defensive prospects makes him nearly untouchable)
Hayton
Jenik
Prosvetov
Maccelli
Cappo/Dineen (Cappo is quickly feeling like a trade chip. Dineen is having a very nice start to this season)
Farinacci
Burke/Bunting
Pederson

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My three untouchables are Dvorak, Chychrun and Garland. I'm currently rating Schmaltz ahead of Keller. I'm pretty attached to Hayton, Jenik, and Soderstrom. Outside of those 8 guys, there's not much I care all that much about. OEL and Kuemper have value, but I'm fine moving them or keeping them. I like Crouse, Fischer, Pitlick, Larsson and Oesterle and I'd prefer to keep them but I'm not sure they have a ton of value anyway.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
How does everyone rate our current core / players signed longer than this season and then prospects on a rate of untouchable to move them the hell out?
I think for forwards the core is basically just a line and Dvorak. They're all good, solid pieces for a core, but there just aren't enough of them. I don't see a reason to move any of them because they are trending up and are tied up for a long term at decent rates. I think we're set up nicely to add pieces to contend a few years down the line because of the structuring of these deals, however I'm wary there will be need to make additions because, unless Jeník, Soderström, and Hayton all turn out, plus maybe some more, I think we'll be thin on talent.

Continuously drafting well and developing is necessary to build up a larger core in my opinion because we cast off too many assets in Chayka's swan song. A proper core would start with what we have, but we jettisoned a substantial portion of the next couple of waves so there will be a gap that frustrates every Coyotes' fan as questions loom whether we're going to waste the first part of the core's primes as we have nothing to supplement them, and whether we should have tried to burn it all down to, unfortunately, recover the lost assets rather than just add additional assets to a rebuild.

But truthfully that may be overly pessimistic. I was just hoping we'd stand pat until truly at contender status and the team was being oriented in such a way that it would get an extended window of contention instead of what I see now as possibility to still get to contender status, but likely with less staying power.

On defense, I think with Chychrun, OEL, and Soderström, I think we can supplement that fine. Lyubushkin and Oesterle have been satisfactory and I think we'll be pretty capable of filling in where needed. I think injuries have affected OEL's skating which in turn has affected his ability to make a lane for his shot, but he still plays well and makes smart moves. Chychrun can still skate, so he has filled in precisely how OEL would on the power play and such at the point. I hope OEL is still recovering and can regain that footspeed. I think the two of them are great defensively with their sticks and transition style defense, but we do need some bigger/stronger defensemen for matching up yet, particularly when it comes to more sustained board work.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

rt

May 13, 2004
Buffalo needs to run a proper GM search instead of just picking some guy hanging around the office.
I feel like I recognize most NHL front-offices by sight due mostly to the entry draft every summer. You see the big group of execs at the table, and then up on the stage. These faces become familiar. When you're a Coyotes fan, you're generally envious of the majority of the other teams. Most of them win more games, and still make way better decisions. Some of them seem to make a bunch of great decisions and win a bunch of games. Some of those teams you see the same faces up there year after year, and you end up getting more than a little jealous of how credible and proficient they seem to be. Year after year you see these guys and just think, "man, why can't we be like that?" Some of these guys really stick out in your mind more than others. I know for me, one guy definitely did. Big guy, good team, great results:

gyi0060881234.0.jpg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He could also be our GM and president of hockey ops....

Just like he thinks he is now in Buffalo.
He knows who they have acting as GM and Coach. Someone has to take the bull by the horns. Besides, we don't know what is happening behind closed doors.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I wouldn't make any major moves unless it's for a bonafide 1C.

With Dvorak, Garland, Schmaltz and Keller we have a good core. We need Hayton to develop into a top 6 forward. And we also need one more scoring top 6 winger.

We need to rebuild the right side of the defense as well.

If this all happens by next season we could be a pretty good team. If all the young guys continue to get better and we also add a 2nd/3rd line tweener we could be a really good team.

rt

May 13, 2004
I just want Taylor Hall back. I thought I’d be over this by now. I’m not over it. I’ve moved on from long term romantic relationships way faster. I just love Taylor Hall. I can’t help it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I just want Taylor Hall back. I thought I’d be over this by now. I’m not over it. I’ve moved on from long term romantic relationships way faster. I just love Taylor Hall. I can’t help it.

Hahahaha I've noticed. The stars may aligned to reunite the rosey cheeked Hall with the prickly Yotes. If he would take a major paycut because of how bad UFA will be I may be interested. Can we afford to have 21m tied up in three wingers though? That's assuming Hall and Garland sign for 7m.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I wouldn't make any major moves unless it's for a bonafide 1C.

With Dvorak, Garland, Schmaltz and Keller we have a good core. We need Hayton to develop into a top 6 forward. And we also need one more scoring top 6 winger.

We need to rebuild the right side of the defense as well.

If this all happens by next season we could be a pretty good team. If all the young guys continue to get better and we also add a 2nd/3rd line tweener we could be a really good team.
Tanner Pearson's name continues to tied to the Coyotes. Expiring contract and still young enough (28) for potential re-signing. He's struggled with the Canucks (who hasn't) but might slot nicely into the 2LW role in AZ.

Vancouver has been a train-wreck defensively.....maybe Pearson for Demers or Goligolski is the basis for a deal.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

rt

May 13, 2004
My new fantasy: the Sabres fire Kruger. Hall quietly wants out. Eichel catches wind and publicly wants out. Huge Eichel drama ensues. No one even bothers to mention Hall.

The Avalanche(of course) land Eichel with Newhook+Byram+1st+1st in a huge smash hit blockbuster that steals every headline. Meantime we quietly acquire Hall for Raanta+Demers+CBJ 2nd+conditional 2022 2nd. Nobody notices.

Hall finally realizes he just wants nice, quiet stability and signs a very reasonable extension with us.

rt

May 13, 2004
Tanner Pearson's name continues to tied to the Coyotes. Expiring contract and still young enough (28) for potential re-signing. He's struggled with the Canucks (who hasn't) but might slot nicely into the 2LW role in AZ.

Vancouver has been a train-wreck defensively.....maybe Pearson for Demers or Goligolski is the basis for a deal.
I’m looking at the Stepan 2nd as found money. I’d be willing to use it on the right rental and add a conditional 2022 pick along with it (contingent on re-signing the player). Pearson seems like a good candidate for something like that.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

currently envisioning rt listening to Taylor Swift, thinking about Taylor Hall ;)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
You want to give up even more picks for Hall?

I think I like the Demers/Pearson idea better. Vancouver liked Demers a few years ago (wouldn't waive his NTC from Florida to go there) but that is expired and maybe they still like him. I don't want rentals but I don't mind swapping one UFA to be for another. Their caps are almost identical too.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’m looking at the Stepan 2nd as found money. I’d be willing to use it on the right rental and add a conditional 2022 pick along with it (contingent on re-signing the player). Pearson seems like a good candidate for something like that.

Can't do that anymore.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Yup, Vancouver is done this year....the only way they take Demers/Goligoski is to balance salary. The other likely gets moved from a 3rd-5th separately.

Pearson for Demers, CBJ 2nd and 2022 conditional 4th (re-signing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad