Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Is Gostisbehere the PP2 guy, and after Chychrun in line for offensive minutes?
Curious what his role will look like on this new team.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hayton is waiver exempt so it doesn't matter where he is on paper.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What was the other?
BA got a real nice haul from Kuemper, Garland, and Dvorak. Teams wanted those players and were willing to meet BA’s price for them. Chayka was the one who brought them in to begin with. BA got more out of them than Chayka invested into them; Toby Rieder, a 7th and a 2nd. So that’s nice.

Also, as useless as Stepan and Raanta ultimately ended up being, Tony DeAngelo and Lias Andersson ended up even worse. We got Josh Doan outta that. The Rangers have Will Cuylle to show for the trade. Actually two similarly regarded prospects. Will be fun to see which turns out better.

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
BA got a real nice haul from Kuemper, Garland, and Dvorak. Teams wanted those players and were willing to meet BA’s price for them. Chayka was the one who brought them in to begin with. BA got more out of them than Chayka invested into them; Toby Rieder, a 7th and a 2nd. So that’s nice.

Also, as useless as Stepan and Raanta ultimately ended up being, Tony DeAngelo and Lias Andersson ended up even worse. We got Josh Doan outta that. The Rangers have Will Cuylle to show for the trade. Actually two similarly regarded prospects. Will be fun to see which turns out better.

Yeah, but that draft was all over the board, we could have selected Necas in the 7th hole.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Is Gostisbehere the PP2 guy, and after Chychrun in line for offensive minutes?
Curious what his role will look like on this new team.
I think he has every opportunity to be on the ice and the talent to show who he is. I'm guessing #2 for most TOI and PP but a great 2nd and opportunity to be more.

Reactions: Waterbuf

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I get that Hayton got injured but at this point that pick is looking like a failure. If he gets top 6 minutes in Tucson and still can’t produce even with a lot of young talent around him I think you start considering moving him

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I get that Hayton got injured but at this point that pick is looking like a failure. If he gets top 6 minutes in Tucson and still can’t produce even with a lot of young talent around him I think you start considering moving him

Nah, use him as the sacrificial tank center next season. If he excels in Tucson, cool, we got ourselves a player. If he falls flat on his face, he's Beagle's replacement next year.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

I'm no expert on developing NHL talent, but the fact he only has 31 games in Tucson is a shame. We dropped the ball as an organization IMO.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yep. There was a failure to develop this player. Thankfully I think he's still on the right track.
Hope so. He is still young enough. Plus he has had a few injuries that have slowed him down (and a Covid year which has messed up a lot of players' development).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hayton looked like a different player in the preseason, same as Crouse. He just got hurt. There's no point worrying about this player. He isn't critical to the plan, his trade value is shit, and he isn't really off track.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hayton looked like a different player in the preseason, same as Crouse. He just got hurt. There's no point worrying about this player. He isn't critical to the plan, his trade value is shit, and he isn't really off track.
Here's hoping he heals quickly, does great for 20 or so games in Tucson, and gets called up and never looks back!

Reactions: DOTS13

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

He'd be off track if we were needing him to step into a top 6 center role this year to continue to push for the playoffs. BA chose to gut the team and rebuild. Now there is no expectation for when he needs to crack the roster, or what type of role he needs to have.

I was initially very disappointed with the pick. I couldn't believe we didn't grab Hughes, or Boucher. I was floored we didn't run up and grab Zadina when he fell. Then as more came out about Hayton I had high hopes he could be a Bo Hovart type of player for us, knowing the Bergeron comps were way too far fetched. His WJC performance gave me more reason to believe a Hovart/Larkin caliber of player wasn't out of reach, then he got injured and toyed around between the NHL and AHL.

At this point there is way less need for him being the player to help push the franchise forward. If he can be a fantastic 3C on a cheap contract I will be happy. If he can top out as a solid 2C ala Dvo, hey even better. My expectations are solid NHL center, whichever line that may be on.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hayton is playing in Henderson tonight. On a line with Maccelli and Carcone. Has 2 shots so far.

Roadrunners are down 1-0 about 5 minutes into the 2nd.

Reactions: lanky

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Found the unofficial mascot for this season.
upload_2021-10-11_20-53-21.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bennet,_7th_Earl_of_Tankerville

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He'd be off track if we were needing him to step into a top 6 center role this year to continue to push for the playoffs. BA chose to gut the team and rebuild. Now there is no expectation for when he needs to crack the roster, or what type of role he needs to have.

I was initially very disappointed with the pick. I couldn't believe we didn't grab Hughes, or Boucher. I was floored we didn't run up and grab Zadina when he fell. Then as more came out about Hayton I had high hopes he could be a Bo Hovart type of player for us, knowing the Bergeron comps were way too far fetched. His WJC performance gave me more reason to believe a Hovart/Larkin caliber of player wasn't out of reach, then he got injured and toyed around between the NHL and AHL.

At this point there is way less need for him being the player to help push the franchise forward. If he can be a fantastic 3C on a cheap contract I will be happy. If he can top out as a solid 2C ala Dvo, hey even better. My expectations are solid NHL center, whichever line that may be on.
At this point, he is a disappointment for the 6 pick in the draft. We don't have any decent centers yet Hayton still can't crack this roster. Unless they are protecting him by keeping him in the "A" and letting him develop more. I would just think he should have easily made this roster given how bad it is and where other top 6 picks are from many draft years 3 years later. If we had to do the draft over would we still take him at 6?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
At this point, he is a disappointment for the 6 pick in the draft. We don't have any decent centers yet Hayton still can't crack this roster. Unless they are protecting him by keeping him in the "A" and letting him develop more. I would just think he should have easily made this roster given how bad it is and where other top 6 picks are from many draft years 3 years later. If we had to do the draft over would we still take him at 6?

If he didn’t get hurt he would’ve probably made it honestly.
I get sending him down. Get his timing back and get him confident again. Totally get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad