Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
At this point, he is a disappointment for the 6 pick in the draft. We don't have any decent centers yet Hayton still can't crack this roster. Unless they are protecting him by keeping him in the "A" and letting him develop more. I would just think he should have easily made this roster given how bad it is and where other top 6 picks are from many draft years 3 years later. If we had to do the draft over would we still take him at 6?
Big disappointment to say the least. With Hayton crapping the bed and losing two other first round picks really set this franchise back a number of years. I believe that Hayton was sent down this year because he was injured not because of play or lack of it, but regardless, he has not looked like a 5OA pick to me, never has.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Hayton for Kravtsov and then Kessel (50%) for Dylan Strome. Send Boyd to Tucson.
I never thought I would see your post wanting to get a Strome back especially Dylan lol. 2021 is a very weird year

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Vitali Kravtsov has requested a trade from the Rangers. Seems like a good fit for a Hayton trade, to me. I like Kravtsov’s game.

rangers fan here. I was thinking Hayton too

Both need a change of scenery?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
rangers fan here. I was thinking Hayton too

Both need a change of scenery?
Hayton hasn’t asked for a trade. He’s in the AHL and is playing games. So Arizona doesn’t have the urgency New York does. I guess the only way they do this is if they actually like Kravtsov more as a prospect. The current brass was not responsible for drafting Hayton, afterall.

Arizona’s new GM Bill Armstrong was St Louis’s top scout for a decade plus. Arizona’s new top scouts Darryl Plandowski and Alan Hepple were the top scouts for Tampa and Colorado for a decade plus before they came to AZ. I think if the three of them decide they just have Kravtsov rated more highly, they’d do it.

Reactions: Vitto79

rt

May 13, 2004
To NYR:
Barrett Hayton
Christian Fischer

To ARI:
Vitali Kravtsov
Libor Hajek

To CHI:
Phil Kessel (50%)
Travis Boyd
Kyle Capobianco

To ARi:
Dylan Strome
MacKenzie Entwistle

Strome replaces Boyd in Glendale. Entwistle replaces Hayton in Tucson. Kravtsov replaces Kessel. Hajek replaces Capobianco. Galchenyuk replaces Fischer.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
Outsider, but I honestly think that your team should trade for Krav
All of those 2nd round picks have to be good for something, and this seems like a good opportunity

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That YouTube video of BA talking about Hayton lends the idea that Hayton won't be moved. BA's delivery was that of someone very happy with how Hayton Trained this summer. I'm not saying he's in any way untouchable, just that he's probably not holding the title of failed 5oa selection that needs a change of scenery yet.
Good to hear, would be a mistake to move him.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Why did he play last night if he is hurt?
He didnt get sent down because he is hurt.... he was sent down because this management team wants to properly develop him. His first two years of dev have been screwed up because of the previous management team.

I expect Hayton on the Yotes roster at some point this year, but the focus for him is to bust his ass in Tucson and get better.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
What am I missing here? Kravtsov's current and past actions say high potential for lockerroom or front office trouble to me. I like the player, but the personality seems like a big turn off. I wouldn't want to deal with his crap when he doesn't get his way.
I don't see Armstrong making this move anyway. Hayton has potential to be a 2nd/3rd center without the drama the Rangers have been dealing with on Kravtsov. We aren't the desperate team here and Hayton probably knows his place in the org. I'd wait it out before trading a young center for a winger unless NYR wants to sweeten the deal which is doubtful.

rt

May 13, 2004
@XX gets his wish with Chychrun-Timmins pair:

After starting the season with Chychrun paired with Strålman, Tourigny has switched up the top two pairs. Defenseman Conor Timmins is now paired with Chychrun and Gostisbehere is playing with Strålman.

“Both of them can move the puck,” Tourigny said of his top pair. “Tims has good poise and a good read of the game as well. They can read off each other and we really like Strålman with Gostisbehere. Stralman is a really, really stable defenseman and Goose has a lot of offensive ability. Having that veteran presence with him to read off him will help him.”

As for the third pair, right now, it sports a pair of right-handers with Ilya Lyubushkin playing the left side and Victor Söderström playing the right side. Vladislav Provolnev is the seventh defenseman for now. It remains to be seen what will happen to the defensive group when Capobianco comes off IR. Tourigny said that Lyubuhskin played the left side a fair amount in the KHL with Yaroslavl Lokomotiv and has some comfort there.
Bear essentials: Getting a feel for Coyotes coach André Tourigny’s habits, plans, lexicon - PHNX

If you don’t subscribe, you should. :)

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
He'd be off track if we were needing him to step into a top 6 center role this year to continue to push for the playoffs. BA chose to gut the team and rebuild. Now there is no expectation for when he needs to crack the roster, or what type of role he needs to have.

I was initially very disappointed with the pick. I couldn't believe we didn't grab Hughes, or Boucher. I was floored we didn't run up and grab Zadina when he fell. Then as more came out about Hayton I had high hopes he could be a Bo Hovart type of player for us, knowing the Bergeron comps were way too far fetched. His WJC performance gave me more reason to believe a Hovart/Larkin caliber of player wasn't out of reach, then he got injured and toyed around between the NHL and AHL.

At this point there is way less need for him being the player to help push the franchise forward. If he can be a fantastic 3C on a cheap contract I will be happy. If he can top out as a solid 2C ala Dvo, hey even better. My expectations are solid NHL center, whichever line that may be on.

I agree. I don't doubt that Hayton is an NHL player but he was/is NEVER gonna be as good as we'd expect from a 5th OA pick. He'll fill a need for us regardless I think.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Why did he play last night if he is hurt?

I didn't say he was still hurt. haha. Just saying if he never got hurt during preseason, he'd still be here. He would've had more than one game to show the organization that he was ready for a full time roster spot. Instead he got banged up and never got that chance. His chance now lies in Tucson. If he goes down to Tucson and show he's able to make an impact, he'll be back in the valley soon enough. This is the right way to work prospects.

Soderstrom made the team because he had multiple chances to show the front office he belonged. It was clear by his third game that Soderstrom was probably making a case to stay, not just get an extended look.

Hayton didn't get that luxury. Now that the real games started, Hayton shouldn't be out there trying to earn a spot, he should be out there playing for wins (err, ice time this year. haha)

Reactions: PuckLife

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I also think he wouldn't have been sent down if he didn't get hurt. He lost the chance to prove that he is ready.

Imagine if Soderstom had missed those pre-season games where he showed how well he fits.

Hayton basically made the team but they would have to waive Boyd, who is on a one way, to rush a waiver exempt player back from injury. It just makes more sense to give Hayton a month in Tucson to get up to speed and to assess Boyd. They've already got enough going on with the IR and juggling spots as is. Sending Hayton down makes it a lot easier to smoothly land everything.

I have Soderstrom as the third best D in the org. already, so him making the team was not a surprise. He was capable of third pair minutes last year. I would not be surprised if he completely displaces Stralman in a few months on that 2nd pair.

@XX gets his wish with Chychrun-Timmins pair:

I occasionally know what I am seeing and talking about, which is why I'd personally never do the Krav trade.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
Hayton basically made the team but they would have to waive Boyd, who is on a one way, to rush a waiver exempt player back from injury. It just makes more sense to give Hayton a month in Tucson to get up to speed and to assess Boyd. They've already got enough going on with the IR and juggling spots as is. Sending Hayton down makes it a lot easier to smoothly land everything.

I have Soderstrom as the third best D in the org. already, so him making the team was not a surprise. He was capable of third pair minutes last year. I would not be surprised if he completely displaces Stralman in a few months on that 2nd pair.

I occasionally know what I am seeing and talking about, which is why I'd personally never do the Krav trade.
I probably wouldn’t do the Kravtsov trade either, FWIW. But if the Yotes did, it would say a lot about what the likes of Armstrong, JFJ, Plandowski and Hepple think about those two players. And that alone would get me super hyped.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I also think he wouldn't have been sent down if he didn't get hurt. He lost the chance to prove that he is ready.

Imagine if Soderstom had missed those pre-season games where he showed how well he fits.
Exactly. You have to give Hayton a chance with our new coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino