Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Agree with everything except debrusk isn't chicken feed scored 27 goals. Only 24. Hes worth something and not a dump . If I add 2nd and 3rd pick or something with him it should perk Armstrong ears.

You are confused. The Coyotes took 2nds for what was essentially cap space. AZ got a top 10 pick and a top 30 pick when actually trading something of value. You could make the case that Dvorak is the most valuable asset of the 3 without much effort.

DeBrusk isn't going to magically produce with less talent in Arizona. He makes exactly zero sense as the primary return for Dvorak. In such a trade, he is a throw in to clear cap and get him away from Cassidy. Armstrong is not going to 'perk' up unless you put something of serious quality on the table that's 21yo or younger which I'm afraid the Bruins are quite short on.

Also, Dvorak is coveted by teams across the league. This isn't a one team "take it or leave it" situation.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I made a post of Studnicka+DeBrusk+ 1st I think that's close enough but don't love it. We'll see if that's enough soonish I guess.

There's really no reason to do that because Boston isn't going to be the only team. The only way that trade goes down is if they are high as hell on Studnicka. Unlike with OEL and Kuemper, Dvorak can fit in on pretty much any team in the league that wants middle age 2C on an excellent contract. There is no mandate that we know of to trade him either.

You go find someone who has the surplus value you want, there's no reason to force a deal with a team that doesn't have the goods.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think:

Under 150 goals for the year
Over 300 goals allowed
Under 50 points

The danger in being real bad is ruining Chych/Keller/DVO and any other young guys. If you want a loosing culture, we will have it now. I worry about what every player thinks now, knowing the team will suck?
Bingo! All I hear is culture this and culture that, old boys club etc. etc. The way to change the culture is by winning. If you keep on losing, you will have a losing culture. So far this year we have shuffled deck chairs, again, and the outlook next year is not good. I know BA is starting a rebuild, but there is no guarantee "his way" works. Players will want out, and it's already started with Kuemper and OEL, just like Eichel and Reinhart. Their careers are short and the ones with star talent want to get paid and want to win. If you can't offer both they will not want to sign here, re-sign, or will want to be traded. OEL was here for eleven years and played in 25 playoff games. Pathetic.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Bingo! All I hear is culture this and culture that, old boys club etc. etc. The way to change the culture is by winning. If you keep on losing, you will have a losing culture. So far this year we have shuffled deck chairs, again, and the outlook next year is not good. I know BA is starting a rebuild, but there is no guarantee "his way" works. Players will want out, and it's already started with Kuemper and OEL, just like Eichel and Reinhart. Their careers are short and the ones with star talent want to get paid and want to win. If you can't offer both they will not want to sign here, re-sign, or will want to be traded. OEL was here for eleven years and played in 25 playoff games. Pathetic.
I feel & understand your frustration- me too. However, where do you start? Put ALL those players that are gone, back with the team- news for you: WE WEREN'T WINNING WITH THEM!! How does the old saying go, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." The same ol', same ol' wasn't working. Time to move in a completely different direction, philosophy, attitude. Yep, gonna be UGLY hockey for at least two years, I'm ready for it. I'm tired of the tweaking, band-aid, fingers-crossed crap that permeated this organization for WAY too long.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
How do you know? He has played 33 NHL games. Far from proven. Hope you are right.

Watching and reading. Took him 18 months to recover from a concussion. He missed key development time and when he returned perhaps lacked confidence, but from what I've seen and read he developed nicely as this past season progressed.

Considering the lack of depth currently on our roster, he should get plenty of opportunity to continue his progression.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Watching and reading. Took him 18 months to recover from a concussion. He missed key development time and when he returned perhaps lacked confidence, but from what I've seen and read he developed nicely as this past season progressed.

Considering the lack of depth currently on our roster, he should get plenty of opportunity to continue his progression.
Kind of parallels a bit with what happened to Chych…back to back seasons with pretty major injuries which kind of hurt his development time and was frustrating for him. But then after a few healthy seasons in a row you see what he’s capable of and he starts to reach his potential. Hopefully the same sort of thing will happen with Timmins and they’ll be a nice pairing eventually.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Garland remains the only player who’s gone that I’ll miss. Well, and Kuemper but I never wanted to give him a contract extension anyway. I’m not the least bit interested in a Grubauer/Binnington type of contract for him. But that’s it. Garland and Kuemper.

The rest has been a good riddance. I don’t need to be sold on cleaning house. I’ve hated the players on this team and the way they played for four years. I’m thrilled they were all shown the door.

What I’m not sold on yet is the idea that we don’t need to replace any of them and can ice a team full of replacements that are literally the most unwanted players in hockey. And spend zero dollars and zero minutes looking for decent players to add.

Want to tank? Fine. But this is too much. This is dangerous. I don’t think you can get away with being THIS bad without paying a price for it later. At the VERY LEAST they need to sign Bozak and Dubnyk. They can’t go into camp with this roster. It would be a serious mistake.

You can’t just forget a 25 win season and a -150 goal differential. It doesn’t just wash off. It’s going to stick to the new coaching staff and it’s going to stick to any of the young players unfortunate enough to be on the roster. And that includes Chychrun. It’s reckless. It’s not a good gamble.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I feel & understand your frustration- me too. However, where do you start? Put ALL those players that are gone, back with the team- news for you: WE WEREN'T WINNING WITH THEM!! How does the old saying go, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." The same ol', same ol' wasn't working. Time to move in a completely different direction, philosophy, attitude. Yep, gonna be UGLY hockey for at least two years, I'm ready for it. I'm tired of the tweaking, band-aid, fingers-crossed crap that permeated this organization for WAY too long.
Chayka and RT had us believing they had the answers, and most on this forum agreed. Now, GMBA is wanting us to believe he has the answers. Gonna be UGLY? We have witnessed UGLY since the Coyotes existence, nothing new. GMBA said he has a five year plan, and this is year two, and he also stated that the players drafted this year won't be in the NHL for three of four years. So, does that mean we suck for the next three or four years? Is he going to over pay for UFA players? Will he end up trading Chych, DVO and Ketter etc.? Now, most want to tank so we have a chance at Wright. We all know how that has worked in the past. I guess my biggest worry in all this is the inexperience we have in BA and AT, both having no NHL success at their current position. Wish we could get a guy like John Davidson to over see the organization.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
The Yotes need to be respectable. When they go into a game they need to believe they can win the game. They go in thinking they will lose, both physically and mentally high probability of significant injury. One season of absolute crap will destroy the players on the ice, the coaches and the revenue for the team. Need to have a team that can at least make the playoff race.

Also, you can only have so many prospects.

Reactions: Jakey53

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Chayka and RT had us believing they had the answers, and most on this forum agreed. Now, GMBA is wanting us to believe he has the answers. Gonna be UGLY? We have witnessed UGLY since the Coyotes existence, nothing new. GMBA said he has a five year plan, and this is year two, and he also stated that the players drafted this year won't be in the NHL for three of four years. So, does that mean we suck for the next three or four years? Is he going to over pay for UFA players? Will he end up trading Chych, DVO and Ketter etc.? Now, most want to tank so we have a chance at Wright. We all know how that has worked in the past. I guess my biggest worry in all this is the inexperience we have in BA and AT, both having no NHL success at their current position. Wish we could get a guy like John Davidson to over see the organization.
Davidson is overrated. St Louis missed the Playoffs 4 of 6 years then won one series and was swept 2 other, mutually left team . In Columbus won 1 series in 7 years and then he quit, although he did make the playoffs 4 times. Back to the Rangers were he was swept in the bubble and missed the playoffs last and was fired. He would be a good fit for this team in the PR department but keep him away from hockey operations.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
The Yotes need to be respectable. When they go into a game they need to believe they can win the game. They go in thinking they will lose, both physically and mentally high probability of significant injury. One season of absolute crap will destroy the players on the ice, the coaches and the revenue for the team. Need to have a team that can at least make the playoff race.

Also, you can only have so many prospects.
Will they be respectable? Not sure. All's I know is getting ragdolled by the AVs and not having anybody that could consistently put up an offensive attack was boring. The turtling of this team was so obvious after a big hit that other teams incorporated it into their game plan and it was successful for them.

Reactions: Name Nameless

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Will they be respectable? Not sure. All's I know is getting ragdolled by the AVs and not having anybody that could consistently put up an offensive attack was boring. The turtling of this team was so obvious after a big hit that other teams incorporated it into their game plan and it was successful for them.

*Flashback to 2019-20 when Jamie Benn and Radulov went animalistic on the coyotes and led a late game comeback and team just hid in the corner.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
During this past season, Garland scored goals at a rate of 0.78 per 60 minutes. Jaskin's best year in STL (2014/15, 54 games played) he scored 0.90 per 60. Can Jaskin be the player he was 6 yrs ago?

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018

I believe that was a lot to do with RT. Third periods were brutal.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I have a hard time believing that Bill Armstrong and André Tourigny will have any tolerance for malaise in the locker room.
And what exactly are they going to do when the coyotes have 7 wins in the first half of next season? Ok guys, lets pretend we might win a few more games?

This tank effects players careers and future earning power. If I were Chych/DVO/Keller/Schmaltz, I would be asking for a trade. 2 bad years for any of them will effect their future earning potential. The only players that will want to stay in AZ are fringe NHL players or those young guys trying to make the team. This will be an opportunity to play in the NHL and prove themselves, they wouldn't get the opportunity otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad