Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think at this point Armstrong is going to roll with Hutton and one of Korenar or Vejmelka as the backup. As it stands, there are five goalies under contract and I seriously doubt that they're going to add any more, so if there's a trade, one of Korenar, Vejmelka, Prosvetov, or Tendeck is going to have to go the other way.

Hutton/Korenar is a guaranteed recipe for a Wright-friendly first-round pick, for sure.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Dvo for Reichel+CDH - C. Don't hate Reichel but don't love him and CDH isn't worth a contract.
Dvo for Romanov+Drouin - D. Romanov looks good and Drouin at least has the potential to look good. If we can afford him I like it more.
Dvo for Brannstrom+Tierney. D. Brannstrom gets a bad rep but I think he's still progressing fine and Tierney is exactly the type of player we have wanted for ages, can't say he's a good fit for our rebuild but at least he's exciting and plays hard.
Dvo for Amirov+Kerfoot - B. Amirov is good but not great and Kerfoot isn't much either. Kerfoot probably has less value and Amirov is overrated.
Dvo+Korenar for Chytil+Georgiev - E. Probably the best deal here. Chytil is pretty good and Georgiev would likely be the only other piece that has value to us, add in a pick or two and this could be a slam dunk for us.
Dvo for Zary - C. I don't value Zary as high as others and if it was straight up I would be disappointed.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think at this point Armstrong is going to roll with Hutton and one of Korenar or Vejmelka as the backup. As it stands, there are five goalies under contract and I seriously doubt that they're going to add any more, so if there's a trade, one of Korenar, Vejmelka, Prosvetov, or Tendeck is going to have to go the other way.

Hutton/Korenar is a guaranteed recipe for a Wright-friendly first-round pick, for sure.
I do think there’s an outside shot they’re way higher on Vejmelka than we know, and may be trying to give him a real shot.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I do think there’s an outside shot they’re way higher on Vejmelka than we know, and may be trying to give him a real shot.

It may be that they're going to leave it open through training camp and see which guy wows them the most.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
It may be that they're going to leave it open through training camp and see which guy wows them the most.
Georgiev has requested a trade, though. And obviously Seattle was going to move Vanecek after the Grubauer signing. These feel like missed opportunities. Heck, even Vladar. Dude went for a 3rd. Maybe we just don't like them. I don't know how to scout goalies. I've never been able to figure out why Dustin Tokarski isn't a start goalie. Same for Laurent Brossoit.

Or perhaps losing our entire "Department of Goaltending Excellence" a year after it began, including the Director, the Coaches, and all the Goalies, has left us without anyone to help decide what to do about goalies. Those guys were probably all part of the Vejmelka signing decision. And the only other goalie is Hutton, who BA just happened to know personally, and remember from St. Louis. Maybe we aren't fixing the goalie situation because nobody left in the organization knows how.

I really wish they'd bring back Corey Schwab. Give him a raise, let him wear the Daccord hat, as well as coach, and let him hire another coach/goalie voice of his choosing for his dept. Then lean on them to help solve this mess.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We're not fixing the goalie situation because we don't want good goaltending this year. They will fix it next year. This year is the race for the bottom.

Reactions: Heldig

rt

May 13, 2004
We're not fixing the goalie situation because we don't want good goaltending this year. They will fix it next year. This year is the race for the bottom.
I think this team would finish bottom five with Andrei Vasilevski in goal. The only difference, to me at least, is that it wouldnt be as embarrassing and awful the whole time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Although I'd like us to find a better goalie, I did some quick stat looks and it appears Hutton does better with more starts (at least his last 5 seasons), so he may actually surprise us (I know way too optimistic). Still, with STL he went 30|2.39|.913 & 32|2.01|.931 and even with BUF he was 50|3.00|.908 for his first season and 31|3.18|.898 his second (not too bad considering BUF 's D). Last season, he was 13|3.47|.886 (possibly intentionally).

So, while I would prefer acquiring a stronger starter, if he splits 50/50 or starts, he might actually hover around 2.90|.895 (not great, but okay as we rebuild) . Even our current D pairings have to be better than what he had in BUF the last few seasons. Of course, this would also require us to score 3 or more goals in each game if we wanted to be an around .500 team (I am an anti-tanker, since it rarely works in a team's favor, especially because, well, Coyotes).

rt

May 13, 2004
Although I'd like us to find a better goalie, I did some quick stat looks and it appears Hutton does better with more starts (at least his last 5 seasons), so he may actually surprise us (I know way too optimistic). Still, with STL he went 30|2.39|.913 & 32|2.01|.931 and even with BUF he was 50|3.00|.908 for his first season and 31|3.18|.898 his second (not too bad considering BUF 's D). Last season, he was 13|3.47|.886 (possibly intentionally).

So, while I would prefer acquiring a stronger starter, if he splits 50/50 or starts, he might actually hover around 2.90|.895 (not great, but okay as we rebuild) . Even our current D pairings have to be better than what he had in BUF the last few seasons. Of course, this would also require us to score 3 or more goals in each game if we wanted to be an around .500 team (I am an anti-tanker, since it rarely works in a team's favor, especially because, well, Coyotes).
He probably got less time because he got bad rather than getting bad because he got less time. If he stayed good, he wouldn’t have had reduced time. The decline in play generally starts prior to the decline in minutes.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
If we can get Jones and Georgiev out of the Rangers I'll call that a huge success. A few fans have offered Jones + Georgiev + 1st or Jones + Georgiev + 2 2nds for Dvorak. I'll take those all day and I love Dvorak. Would still be sad, but I'd be the guy wiping my tears with money.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
This year is the race for the bottom.

It’s not even a race this year. Hear me out, if we ice this roster I hope we don’t win the lottery. Should a team that deliberately ices a team like this get first over all? You have 1 or 2 teams tank in a division you screw with the standings for the entire NHL.

I like the NHL because of how close the teams are with its parity:) In theory

Reactions: Raymones

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
As bad as I think the Coyotes will be this year, am I only one who thinks 2022-23 season will be even worse? They are looking at ~40 mil. in cap space.

Reactions: hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As bad as I think the Coyotes will be this year, am I only one who thinks 2022-23 season will be even worse? They are looking at ~40 mil. in cap space.
We are gonna own the 2023 2nd round after next off season. Over under on picks in first two rounds is set at 9.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Play wrong to make it Wright in 2021 - 22 and fail hard for Bedard in 2022-23!

Reactions: sundance74

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It’s not even a race this year. Hear me out, if we ice this roster I hope we don’t win the lottery. Should a team that deliberately ices a team like this get first over all? You have 1 or 2 teams tank in a division you screw with the standings for the entire NHL.

I like the NHL because of how close the teams are with its parity:) In theory

I mean, I don't think trading a heavily declining large contract in OEL, a goalie who was going to likely be picked by SEA, and a goalie who was probably going to want to leave or be injured or had injury concerns was that big of a deal.

Garland hurts but he did need a new contract and could hypothetically decline in play because of his style.

Kessel is something but like, he doesn't wanna be here and is old as f***.

Now, if we trade Dvorak, that's when we know we're tanking. But until then we still have a top line and a defense, soo....

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I mean, I don't think trading a heavily declining large contract in OEL, a goalie who was going to likely be picked by SEA, and a goalie who was probably going to want to leave or be injured or had injury concerns was that big of a deal.

Garland hurts but he did need a new contract and could hypothetically decline in play because of his style.

Kessel is something but like, he doesn't wanna be here and is old as f***.

Now, if we trade Dvorak, that's when we know we're tanking. But until then we still have a top line and a defense, soo....

Wait, you honestly, really believe BA isn’t trying to tank this team? This is about as evident as it gets haha

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Wait, you honestly, really believe BA isn’t trying to tank this team? This is about as evident as it gets haha

Well no, it's super obvious we're going for a rebuild. I don't think it's necessarily tanking though, because we have said we're going to try and play players who could rebound and do well, we grabbed Dzingel who could use a bounceback, and it would appear we're going to not just fill the roster with youth and Boko/Gabriel types, so like, it could be worse.

Mostly just responding to the people who are super disappointed with BA and the things he's done, but personally I'm perfectly happy with it.

Reactions: Canis Latrans
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad