Line Combos: Coyle vs. Niederreiter

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
So the Leafs and Caps failed to win the Cup because of Kessel and Ovie?

Where are you making the leap that Nino has a bad attitude, is antagonistic, arrogant, or lazy?

no one is leaping anywhere. the original response was directed at the notion that on ice performance is the only consideration. i have no idea why you brought up Kessel and Ovie. I've already said over and over in many threads Nino has a good attitude, and was praised for such by the coach (who is according to a lot of people here abusing and misusing him. )

On ice performance is absolutely NOT the only consideration. Obviously, the more skill you're dealing with the more you're willing to overlook other things for that player. Nino has demonstrated nowhere near the skill it would take for a promotion to heavier minutes to be automatic if they still don't think he's up to speed as far as team philosophy goes.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Russo

Charlie Coyle has had a good camp, but the Wild wants more offensively. It’ll be interesting if he doesn’t show it down the stretch of camp here because Yeo is very happy with Niederreiter and maybe is thinking of moving him up to that second line.

“I’ve seen all the things you would expect from him as far as the work ethic,†Yeo said of Coyle. “He’s playing the game hard, he’s playing the game as a big body. ... But you can just tell with timing and execution that there’s another level he can get to.â€

Conversely, Yeo on Niederreiter: “I’ve been very pleased with his camp. He looks very motivated, he looks great on the ice. We still treat Nino like a young player so we keep pushing him every day. It’s got to be about the next day. But up to this point, I’ve een very pleased.â€

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
If Yeo put Coyle at center with Nino as one of his wings just think how scary that duo could be, and by scary I mean scary bad.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm curious if they will really move away from Top 6 minutes for 2 lines and even it out more. Honestly if you're going to put Koivu and Parise on a line, you need to have someone with good defense (and offensive skill) and make that the top line shutdown line against Hossa-Toews-Sharp type lines.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Shouldn't spend $20 million on a shutdown line.

I've said it before, if Koivu wants to focus on defense, play him with Cook and Brodziak or Coyle. Let that be your shutdown line. Let Parise and Vanek and the skilled scorers be skilled scorers.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Shouldn't spend $20 million on a shutdown line.

I've said it before, if Koivu wants to focus on defense, play him with Cook and Brodziak or Coyle. Let that be your shutdown line. Let Parise and Vanek and the skilled scorers be skilled scorers.

That doesn't make any sense. Put our offensively best center with 4th line players because he happens to be one of the best two-way players? Do you see the problem here? With same logic we can say that let's put Parise with Brodziak because he's our best two-way winger.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I don't understand the notion that a line with Koivu and Parise would be a shutdown line. I will remind you here once more that actually Parise has scored at a higher pace with Koivu than with Granlund. This seems to get ignored or disregarded quite often. They can form a multi-purpose line that is also capable of filling the shutdown role, but that's not all they could do.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't understand the notion that a line with Koivu and Parise would be a shutdown line. I will remind you here once more that actually Parise has scored at a higher pace with Koivu than with Granlund. This seems to get ignored or disregarded quite often. They can form a multi-purpose line that is also capable of filling the shutdown role.

Young players improve, older players decline. Let's see what another year of time brings.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
How much will the defense suffer with Cooke vs Parise on his wing? Parise is a MUCH better scorer, both are good defensively. If you're deploying Koivu against top lines for matchup purposes, why not put those three out there? It will be incredibly hard to play against. Cooke is a good, smart player.

Vanek with Koivu would be fine on the PP but at even strength against strong competition, I could easily see them going cold. Especially with Coyle on the other wing.

Also, if you are deploying Koivu against the other team's top lines, you are going to see them with high TOI. So it's not like he's playing 10 minutes per game.

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Cooke-Koivu-Coyle
Vanek-Haula-Nino
Zucker-Brodziak-Fontaine

I would like to see what that lineup would look like. Top three lines similar in minutes 5v5.

Flip side, if you're going to balance the offense so your coach doesn't have to deal with matchups:

Vanek-Koivu-Nino
Zucker-Haula-Coyle
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
How much will the defense suffer with Cooke vs Parise on his wing? Parise is a MUCH better scorer, both are good defensively. If you're deploying Koivu against top lines for matchup purposes, why not put those three out there? It will be incredibly hard to play against. Cooke is a good, smart player.

Vanek with Koivu would be fine on the PP but at even strength against strong competition, I could easily see them going cold. Especially with Coyle on the other wing.

Also, if you are deploying Koivu against the other team's top lines, you are going to see them with high TOI. So it's not like he's playing 10 minutes per game.

Cooke-Koivu-Coyle
Vanek-Haula-Nino
Zucker-Brodziak-Fontaine

I would like to see what that lineup would look like. Top three lines similar in minutes 5v5.

Flip side, if you're going to balance the offense so your coach doesn't have to deal with matchups:

Vanek-Koivu-Nino
Zucker-Haula-Coyle
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine

Pretty sure Vanek didn't come here to play on the 3rd line with Haula.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Pretty sure Vanek didn't come here to play on the 3rd line with Haula.

He'd get over it.

And it's not really a #3 line in that setup; more like a 1a, 1b, 1c as long as the minutes are similar. He'd still get his PP time.

But I do think something like that should be a 'last resort' type of shakeup.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Young players improve, older players decline. Let's see what another year of time brings.

That is true in general, but I would prefer sticking to factual information instead of projections based on something that will happen to some extent at some point in time. Koivu is not some offensive black hole at this time who only deserves to play defense with grinders.

Billy Mays Here*

Parise - Granlund - Pommers
Nino - Koivu - Vanek
Zucker - Haula - Coyle
Cooke - Brodz - Fontaine

That's what I'd rather see but I'm betting Yeo still has a man crush on Coyle and prefers him over Nino no matter what he's said about them so far.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I'd like to see Pominville and Vanek on the same line at some point. Didn't they tear it up in Buffalo?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'd like to see Pominville and Vanek on the same line at some point. Didn't they tear it up in Buffalo?

I'm sure we'll see that at some point. Both guys can disappear for stretches so it would be nice to have them spread out a bit.

Speaking of Coyle, from Russo:

Mike Yeo pulled Charlie Coyle aside to give him a little pep talk.

Yeo reiterated to me afterward, "I'm not unhappy with Charlie's camp," but he rose the bar so to speak the last 12 games of last season and the playoffs and he wants him to start making plays.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Plenty of offensive talent on the point already if Yeo keeps Folin and Dumba.

First Unit - Left Wall
Net: Vanek
Low: Parise
Half-wall: Granlund
Strong Side Point: Suter
Weak Side Point: Dumba

Second Unit - Right Wall
Net: Nino
Low: Koivu
Half-wall: Pominville
Strong Side Point: Folin
Weak Side Point: Spurgeon

Prospector

Aug 28, 2004
Who should I pick in a points-only one year pool between NN and Coyle? And why?

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Nino - Koivu - Vanek
Zucker - Haula - Coyle
Cooke - Brodz - Fontaine

That's what I'd rather see but I'm betting Yeo still has a man crush on Coyle and prefers him over Nino no matter what he's said about them so far.

This. I love these lines and I would have no problem throwing Almond/Bickell against tougher opponents or just playing the hot hand. I also think Fontaine will get a look on the Koivu-Vanek line when he's healthy. I could see Haula/Zucker floating between the 3rd/4th lines to start the season with pk time.

11-64-29
26-9-14
16-3-22
24-56-21

El Nino 22

May 3, 2014
Minnesota
Nino - Koivu - Vanek
Zucker - Haula - Coyle
Cooke - Brodz - Fontaine

Why put Nino and Vanek on the wing they're not used to when they can both unload filthy wristers easier when they play the off wing? I agree that Yeo is playing favorites. I think Nino would be awesome on the top line.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad