Line Combos: Coyle vs. Niederreiter

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I know the majority opinion is that Coyle is unduly rewarded, and Nino is screwed.

However, if you watch CC's best moments on youtube, he is rather extraordinary. I expect a major breakout season from him.

Extraordinary, however, so is Nino. 3 lines gonna be scoring this year.

I think this belongs in the file of "Good problems to have," especially with Lucia and Tuch waiting in the wings.

Still, wanted to defend Charlie from the criticism he receives routinely. If, at the end of the season, I am proved wrong, I will eat the crow, with relish.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I know the majority opinion is that Coyle is unduly rewarded, and Nino is screwed.

However, if you watch CC's best moments on youtube, he is rather extraordinary. I expect a major breakout season from him.

I think this belongs in the file of "Good problems to have," especially with Lucia and Tuch waiting in the wings.

Still, wanted to defend Charlie from the criticism he receives routinely. If, at the end of the season, I am proved wrong, I will eat the crow, with relish.

If you think you'll be allowed to make your crow taste better by adding relish, you're dreaming.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Is this criticism of Coyle really though? I always direct mine at Yeo. Coyle is just playing his game, its Yeo's fault that Nino gets worse minutes even though he out performs Coyle.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I think (as a Coyle defender) it's important to note that most people aren't panning Coyle the player rather the decision to use him in a top six role.

The only way this decision could possibly win in the court of HFWild is if Coyle significantly outperforms Nino. I say significantly because there is zero doubt in my mind that if they are within a few percentage points of each other with regards to points/TOI it'll be another year of "but if Nino was playing with (X) he'd score a bajillion goals".

I do believe Yeo's emphasis on keeping the lines flexible in his off season pressers means we'll see guys on different lines more often than we did last year and comparisons will be tough. My personal preference would be that Nino see easier matchups--whether that's on a line 1 that we no longer try to play against the other guys' main threats or line 3 that we try to over-power other teams' bottom six in skill.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Both had their flashes of brilliance last season. Usually when the other was gaining momentum the other faded a bit. All in all I thought Nino was the more consistent of the two.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Nino brings size, skill, and grit to the top 6. I really want him to get that time this year. He has 30ish goal potential written all over him. Coyle is looking more and more like a 20ish goal guy. That is still great, but as of now I think he is a perfect third liner with plenty of top 6 potential. I just think Nino has more potential and fits a top 6 role better.

On a line with Parise and Koivu, Nino will do some damage next year. Yeo won't have a choice given Nino's progression this upcoming season. I already see it coming. I hope Coyle continues to challenge him though. Healthy competition that I hope Nino wins by a thin margin.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
My ultimate goal would to roll 3 lines.

Koivu
Granny
Haula

Fill in the forwards.

I have no problem with a Haula-Nino-Zucker? line. As long as they can get 16+ minutes and if Coyle, Koivu, Parise anyone is not looking good on the PP roll in Nino and Haula.

My problem this year will be when Yeo gets into a comfort zone that is not producing results.

I still voted Nino.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
As an outside fan I'm extremely jealous of both but am more interested in seeing just how good Nino can become so would like to see him with top 6 minutes. What's the situation with Nino by the way with a new contract? I see he still hasn't signed.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
hard to guess what goes though a coaches mind deciding on which player when both have qualities. if coyle doesnt have a big year 20G pace i'd swap him with nino sooner than later. to quote another poster this is a managable problem to have.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
As an outside fan I'm extremely jealous of both but am more interested in seeing just how good Nino can become so would like to see him with top 6 minutes. What's the situation with Nino by the way with a new contract? I see he still hasn't signed.

Fletcher and Niederreiter's agent are still negotiating on his next contract's term.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
It was interesting listening to Russo's interview with Yeo at the Fair. Yeo said that in last season in camp and up until he got hurt a couple games in, that Coyle may have been the best Wild player on the ice, and that jaws were dropping among the teammates and coaches.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
My ultimate goal would to roll 3 lines.

Koivu
Granny
Haula

Fill in the forwards.

I have no problem with a Haula-Nino-Zucker? line. As long as they can get 16+ minutes and if Coyle, Koivu, Parise anyone is not looking good on the PP roll in Nino and Haula.

My problem this year will be when Yeo gets into a comfort zone that is not producing results.

I still voted Nino.

what do you mean by results?

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Voted for Nino, but Cooke - Haula - Nino is more dangerous line than Cooke - Haula -Coyle. Does Nino bring THAT much more to Koivu's line than Coyle? I don't know.

tomthestone*

Disagree.

Cooke-Haula-Coyle seems like an ideal third line to me.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Regardless of how you feel about each player, it was an absolute shamockery that Coyle was gifted the PP minutes he was without production/cause/waiver.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Regardless of how you feel about each player, it was an absolute shamockery that Coyle was gifted the PP minutes he was without production/cause/waiver.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset if they decided to 'split' time. i.e. Nino player with Haula and Cooke, but gets 1 PP time. Coyle plays on the first line and gets some 2nd PP time.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
With another year of experience I think Nino will be able to get to those open areas to quickly get off that wicked a** wrister of his. I could see him earning a lot of PP time and pot plenty goals. Until then I think Coyle should get the nod.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

No worries in his contract situation. They supposedly are in agreement on dollars, just figuring out which term would be best somewhere between a 2-4yr deal.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I actually like Nino on the 3rd. I think he's way more dangerous off the rush than Coyle, and has the speed to keep close to Haula. That's important, because that's what Haula's line does. I also think Coyle fits better with Koivu: similar speed, similar style of game. My only problem with Coyle, like Koivu, is that he needs to shoot more. If they do that, they'll take great advantage of Vanek this year.

In the long run, I have no idea who should be in the top 6.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but as far as offensive potential goes, Nino's the winner. Coyle has been a favorite of Yeo's pretty much ever since he made the NHL. Niño is smarter and more creative, but his level of play fluctuates more than Coyle's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad