Injury Report: Cowen to have hernia surgery

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I can see a lot of teams interested in Cowen, I don't see a first rounder coming back but more like a Pulkinen, or Kassian or something.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I can see a lot of teams interested in Cowen, I don't see a first rounder coming back but more like a Pulkinen, or Kassian or something.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/nhl-dr...ll-nurse-defensive-defensemen-dangers-zadarov

http://thats-offside.blogspot.ca/2013/06/defense-defensemen-and-draft.html

Just something to consider with Cowen
He had a 1 and 10 chance of becoming a full time NHLer from the get go.

Going back to Harrington, only 3 players in the last 15 years have scored at a lower rate in their draft years and established themselves as NHL regulars: Mark Fistric, Tyler Myers, and Shea Weber.

Now Cowen was much better offensively then Harrington in his draft year but he was still below half a point per game and missed time due to injury. Since then hes had 3 more injuries and two can be considered major

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I think Cowen is still an nhl player right now, just not as good as we wanted but I mean look how bad bobby was with a hernia, now apply that to a guy that is not at that level and voila.

Pulkkinen and Kassian aren't that great. A 4th round long shot and another underwhelming first rounder.

It basically helps that Detroit needs defence and Kassian sucks but may still have upside similar to Cowen.

I might ask the main board.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think Cowen is still an nhl player right now, just not as good as we wanted but I mean look how bad bobby was with a hernia, now apply that to a guy that is not at that level and voila.

Pulkkinen and Kassian aren't that great. A 4th round long shot and another underwhelming first rounder.

It basically helps that Detroit needs defence and Kassian sucks but may still have upside similar to Cowen.

I might ask the main board.

how long do you think Cowen was playing with a hernia? He sucked right off the bat this season and was benched then scratched

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
how long do you think Cowen was playing with a hernia? He sucked right off the bat this season and was benched then scratched

Why do you keep repeating that when it's false?

Cowen was fine up until Xmas. The wheels came off after that suspension.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I agree. It must be very difficult for big players now to know what is a penalty & what is not. I thought then & I still think it was a clean check Cowen made as was Gryba's on Eller but both got suspended & Subban with an obvious tomahawk chop on Stone does not get suspended. I don't get that, yrs ago everybody would have raved over those two hits & if those two guys did not get suspended it might have increased their confidence instead of them questioning themselves all the time as to whether to make the big hit or not. Suspensions today can amount to quite a bit of money, it's certainly something that they must be cognisant of.

BTW - IMO the brawl is what turned the Montreal series around when Ottawa mopped the floor with them. It's the same reason I think they beat us this yr. They got bigger & tougher & were no longer afraid of Ottawa & in fact instigated the rough play & IMO Ottawa did not respond accordingly. Anderson played well thankfully but I don't think he stole the series.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Because i showed it with stats, ice time and new paper articles?

I mean theres an article in the sun that directly blames Cowen for almost costing us the tampa game. Then has comments from Maclean criticizing cowen

If we want to choose a time when Cowen played best it would of been under Cameron when he first was initially paired with Ceci but that didnt last long. Him and imo Ceci got progressively worse till Cowen left the line up. Once Ceci was paired with Wier Ceci's game improved by a large margin before falling off a cliff in the playoffs

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I mean theres an article in the sun that directly blames Cowen for almost costing us the tampa game. Then has comments from Maclean criticizing cowen

Is that the same Sun newspaper that everybody on here constantly criticizes & calls a hack newspaper when they criticize the golden boy Karlsson.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If we want to choose a time when Cowen played best it would of been under Cameron when he first was initially paired with Ceci but that didnt last long. Him and imo Ceci got progressively worse till Cowen left the line up. Once Ceci was paired with Wier Ceci game improved by a large margin.

Try watching the games instead. Cowen was not the disaster you claim.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Is that the same Sun newspaper that everybody on here constantly criticizes & calls a hack newspaper when they criticize the golden boy Karlsson.

Well honestly i dont remember if it was the sun but i posted the artcile when someone said Cowen did not play poorly to start the season and that he wasnt benched there was just a lot of pks and pps

The artcile says something like Cowen's failure is Boro gain

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/10/12...wen-could-be-riding-the-pine-against-panthers

Not sure if this is the right article but its about the same thing

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I watched the game. Him and to a lesser extent Karlsson were a gong show(karlsson scored). I dont live in ottawa so i dont read the paper lol.

Cowen and Karlsson were a disaster

Cowen was adept at throwing a pass to karlsson that was hard to handle when Karlsson was fully covered.

I didnt think this was up for debate. Thought everyone said karlsson- Cowen was terrible

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Maclean seemed to think he wasnt that good based on the quotes.

You can even find quotes from karlsson around the same time saying Cowen is struggling.

Karlsson says something like hes struggling but i had my struggles to when i was his age lol. made me laugh.

Ttracer*

Hopefully he went to Germany and got top notch treatment. We need Cowen to play big minutes, I'm guessing he comes back better than ever and finally establishes himself

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I watched the game. Him and to a lesser extent Karlsson were a gong show(karlsson scored). I dont live in ottawa so i dont read the paper lol.

Cowen and Karlsson were a disaster

Cowen was adept at throwing a pass to karlsson that was hard to handle when Karlsson was fully covered.

I didnt think this was up for debate. Thought everyone said karlsson- Cowen was terrible

I remember quite well defending Cowen because of that pairing which I thought was very unfair to Cowen. Karlsson was playing terrible back then taking all kinds of unnecessary risks & giving the puck away with regularity & leaving Cowen out to dry on many occasions. Of course, the majority of people here go crazy whenever anything is said about the golden boy but he sucked during that time & it was not all Cowen's fault. I blamed Karlsson's reckless play at the beginning of the yr more so than Cowen & didn't agree with the majority as usual.

I said then that Cowen & Wiercioch back then just were not good enough to cover all of karlsson's mistakes & that they needed Methot back there with Karlsson because he was experienced enough to cover for Karlsson & that has proven itself out. The older Methot thinks the game better than both Cowen & Wiercioch at this time & is able to read what Karlsson is doing better where the other two are not just yet. I also said that Cowen would be better paired with Ceci who is a much safer player & I thought he was better with Ceci when they played together for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad