Injury Report: Cowen to have hernia surgery

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Very strange decision. If it was me, I'd get the surgery done within a few days of the end of the season/playoffs to make use of the long summer and extra days to make sure everything is 100% by training camp.

This is the make it or break it year for Cowen....why let a good 3-4 weeks of recovery time disappear like that?

I'm sure it had to do with his Doctor's availability, hospital availability etc etc.

Ideally Murray would have told him to have the surgery months ago when Cowen was first diagnosed with the injury and prepared to get it done.

However the fact is Murray asked him to wait.

I am trying to find the article I read recently that indicated Cowen had had his operation, no luck yet.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Y'all realize those articles are dated April 29, right? I would assume he had his surgery days after the season ended like normal players.

the 200 Game mark is a big one for Dmen - remember when everyone was saying that Hedmond was a bust as a #2 overall and the Bolts should of taken Duchesne?

Ottawa and Cowen should make it the goal that he reaches 300 games this year, that means a full season and 2 playoff rounds - I think he takes another big step this season and becomes a solid top 4.

Ottawas biggest step forward this year is not trades, it's guys like Cowen, Lazar, Pageau, Stone, Hoffman all being better players,.

I know this sounds crazy but Cowen could play at a Norris level this season, he could be Seabrooke type of Dman for us, he has the leadership and the competitive ability, he just needs to put it all together.

Ya you're right, it does sound crazy. No way he's going to play Norris calibre next year. Like none. He simply doesn't think the game quick enough. Career high 17 points too...

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cowen is a big and mobile defenseman.

knee injury.

He still has a little bit of speed for a big man...maybe he can recover?

hip injury.

He has no mobility...but maybe it's due to him not fully recovering from his last injury.

Hernia.

Yeah...trade him for what you can get. i know this isn't fresh news, but he's done here.

if the above part of the post didn't convince you that we need to get rid of this guy, listen to his comments when asked about potentially getting back into the lineup in the playoffs. He prioritized bitterness over excitement.

I'm over cowen.

Every interview I hear is underwhelming. I have also heard of personal experiences where he is a strait up *****.

Doesnt matter what kind of physical ability you have if you dont have it between the ears it doesnt matter.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
the 200 Game mark is a big one for Dmen - remember when everyone was saying that Hedmond was a bust as a #2 overall and the Bolts should of taken Duchesne?

Ottawa and Cowen should make it the goal that he reaches 300 games this year, that means a full season and 2 playoff rounds - I think he takes another big step this season and becomes a solid top 4.

Ottawas biggest step forward this year is not trades, it's guys like Cowen, Lazar, Pageau, Stone, Hoffman all being better players,.

I know this sounds crazy but Cowen could play at a Norris level this season, he could be Seabrooke type of Dman for us, he has the leadership and the competitive ability, he just needs to put it all together.

How can you possibly think this watching him? Especially comparing him to Seabrook. Do you watch Seabrook?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
They should give players a mandatory intelligence test before they get drafted into the NHL. It would help teams avoid drafting players with a rock for a brain.

Well, it's being done in other major sports, so you may be onto something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
How can you possibly think this watching him? Especially comparing him to Seabrook. Do you watch Seabrook?

I still think Cowen can be an elite NHL Dman - and yes I do watch Brent Seabrooke that's why I made the comparison.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
No wait, he might be on to something, though not for hockey. I'm sure there are some tests that could be administered before activating HF accounts that would make this place far better off, clean up some off the absurd posts before they even get typed and save the mods a lot of work.

Do fish sleep? That could be the question.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I still think Cowen can be an elite NHL Dman - and yes I do watch Brent Seabrooke that's why I made the comparison.

I don't know know about that.

I think he could be a solid guy like methot but seabrooke?

Xamar*

Glad to see most of you agree. I wonder if is possible to make such a test that's not subjective and follows a universal standard of intelligence if that even exists. Lots of work to be done ; )

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
We have no reason to question Cowen's intelligence outside the game of hockey.

Sadly his intelligence outside the game of hockey doesnt really matter. Considering him and his agent got a great contract for themselves well barely doing anything....im not sure hes so stupid

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The Wonderlic isn't an IQ test, if that's what you are referring to.

Huh? It is an IQ test.

"The Wonderlic is an IQ test with only 50 questions -- it's a short version of the longer test routinely given to kids. Players have just 12 minutes to take it, and most don't finish. But, in fact, the average NFL test-taker scores a little above average."

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228.html

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Huh? It is an IQ test.

"The Wonderlic is an IQ test with only 50 questions -- it's a short version of the longer test routinely given to kids. Players have just 12 minutes to take it, and most don't finish. But, in fact, the average NFL test-taker scores a little above average."

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228.html

Look, I know you are quoting an ESPN article, and I appreciate it, but ESPN is beig misleading here... they are over-simplifying the definition of the Wonderlic because they are dumming down the content to get a general idea across to a general public.

The Wonderlic is very specifically a test that evaluates the ability to make decisions and learn complex ideas quickly. It is 50 multiple choice questions that concerns itself with a VERY specific area.

It is a very targeted and purposefully narrow aptitude test. Calling it an IQ test is like calling a blood test a "comprehensive yearly physical with your doctor". It's like saying that eating only Protein is in itself a complete and healthy diet. The Wonderlic is PART of what would comprise an IQ test, sure... but it's only one aspect of it, it's only testing one very specific thing.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Look, I know you are quoting an ESPN article, and I appreciate it, but ESPN is beig misleading here... they are over-simplifying the definition of the Wonderlic because they are dumming down the content to get a general idea across to a general public.

The Wonderlic is very specifically a test that evaluates the ability to make decisions and learn complex ideas quickly. It is 50 multiple choice questions that concerns itself with a VERY specific area.

It is a very targeted and purposefully narrow aptitude test. Calling it an IQ test is like calling a blood test a "comprehensive yearly physical with your doctor". It's like saying that eating only Protein is in itself a complete and healthy diet. The Wonderlic is PART of what would comprise an IQ test, sure... but it's only one aspect of it, it's only testing one very specific thing.

Well looking at the 20 sample questions... Anyone not getting 20/20 or 19/20 I would consider stupid.

The questions are so straightforward I would have scored perfect in grade school.

What is the purpose of this test? To check if the athlete is not in a coma?

Maybe it should be the post- concussion symptoms test!

Can you read a sentence? Do you know what a fraction is?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well looking at the 20 sample questions... Anyone not getting 20/20 or 19/20 I would consider stupid.

The questions are so straightforward I would have scored perfect in grade school.

What is the purpose of this test? To check if the athlete is not in a coma?

Maybe it should be the post- concussion symptoms test!

Can you read a sentence? Do you know what a fraction is?

The test is about making quick decisive decisions. All the questions are easy, but you have on average 14 secs to answer each one.

Anyways, IQ tests are designed to correlate with specific things so that you can use the to predict outcomes relating to what you've designed them to correlate to, so you're not really getting info on whether the person taking the test is smart or dumb as a rock. This one seems to have been designed to correlate with quick decision making, which has value in sports. A genuis artist or mathematician might not be great at quick decisions, and thus do poorly here, but be top in his field.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
So are we going to give Cowen the same slack we gave Ryan last season?

I'm afraid I already know the answer. Without Cowen to hate on what would the Debbie Downers talk about all summer? Phillips has already taken a beating and he's too old to register on many people radar. Melnyk is sick, it would be classless to attack the man now. And Ryan is just too damn nice and humble.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So are we going to give Cowen the same slack we gave Ryan last season?

I'm afraid I already know the answer. Without Cowen to hate on what would the Debbie Downers talk about all summer? Phillips has already taken a beating and he's too old to register on many people radar. Melnyk is sick, it would be classless to attack the man now. And Ryan is just too damn nice and humble.

Part of the problem is we have no idea when Cowen started suffering from the hernia. With Ryan, we know it was early on in Nov.

I like Cowen's potential, but he's yet to realize any of it imo. With Ryan, we know what he can do when healthy. You earn slack, Cowen hasn't really done that yet.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Actually I don't think the ESPN article is misleading at all. Here is a quote from the wiki page:

"The Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test (formerly known as the Wonderlic Personnel Test) is a popular group intelligence test used to assess the aptitude of prospective employees for learning and problem-solving in a range of occupations. "

I do agree that whether you call it wonderlic or IQ or shamalaybingbang test, that it only tests a specific portion of a person's intelligence. The point you are missing is that my argument is that the suggestion of these "intelligence tests" should be implemented in the NHL as it is in other sports. I think it would weed out some players, maybe even Cowen as was suggested but shot down by Xspyrate.

Looking forward to the next Xspryte condescending post.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Maybe the hernia can help explain some of his mediocre play.

I keep waiting for the news that they found a 20 pound weight lodged inside Wiercoch's digestive tract, so as to account for his complete lack of burst/speed.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Forget Norris, I'm holding out that Cowen becomes a top 6 D.

Cowen has had four years to establish himself and has not done so. To wait another three years on the off chance he can is misusing a valuable roster spot.

All these guys we are drafting need that spot. Wideman is ready now, then there is Claesson, Wikstrand, Englund, Harper,a shot what they can do.

Done with Cowen - get something for him and move on. If he needs another three years, let someone else invest the roster spot and salary while he works his issues out.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Cowen has had four years to establish himself and has not done so. To wait another three years on the off chance he can is misusing a valuable roster spot.

All these guys we are drafting need that spot. Wideman is ready now, then there is Claesson, Wikstrand, Englund, Harper,a shot what they can do.

Done with Cowen - get something for him and move on. If he needs another three years, let someone else invest the roster spot and salary while he works his issues out.

You have to remember he hasn't played FULL 3 years just yet. He's been injured a lot. I would give him another year and hope he has a healthy one. If he has a crappy healthy year then you can jettison him. Although the argument could be made that he still has some value, so he should be moved now. But I would gamble and try to keep him for one more.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Cowen hasn't quite lived up to expectations has he? Got to think we look at trading him once we know he's over this hernia surgery.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Maybe the hernia can help explain some of his mediocre play.

I keep waiting for the news that they found a 20 pound weight lodged inside Wiercoch's digestive tract, so as to account for his complete lack of burst/speed.

Give him a break, He's lucky is still playing. Don't you remember?

Wiercioch broke a bone in the back of his neck that caused complications with his ability to talk.

“People say it’s a six-to-eight-week healing process, but the after-effects could be six-to-eight months and could be up to a year,†said Wiercioch.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/3...ick-wiercioch-recalls-life-threatening-injury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad