Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
At some point I'd like to see Ovechkin/Kuznetsov lead by example a little bit more. Their effort level in the d-zone and in offensive zone board battles is very uninspiring.

Also, seems like every goal scored can be directly blamed on one player. There are mistakes and then there are goal-causing, pee-wee level **** ups. I'm seen a lot of the latter.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up for big boy Bowey. His best NHL game and it's not even particularly close.

8/92/13 were -7 collectively tonight. Bad!

Reactions: Sam Spade

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps still not playing good enough...Didn't like how Holtby played against the 1st, 2nd and 4th Stars goals. Vezina/Cup winning Holtby would not be giving up those softy/leaky goals.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I know the problems are more than just Holby. They certainly are missing Wilson.

Just from memory it seems Holtby isn't as consistent as he was earlier in his career. Going back to season before last, the series vs Leafs, the struggles during the last reg season, and now. The D is struggling but BH's stats are near the bottom among NHL starters :help:

Hope the Caps don't dig much of a hole during the seasons first quarter !

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

Now lets see what Reirden does when Brooks is ready.

Easy. Bowey sits. Or maybe Kempster, but thats hard to see.

JC-Orlov-Nisky-Djoos should be a lock and we are 0-1-1 and looking like we dont care without Brooksy. Come back soon.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That's what I have been saying.

As fans there's a very easy fix: chill out and be patient. It's barely November.

As a team it's not simply about playing better individually or better defense/coaching/etc. They have to rediscover their motivation and work ethic following the achievement of the ultimate goal--a goal that extends well beyond when most of them were even born.

That is no short order. It's a known phenomenon that achieving a goal without an equally strong new goal in place leaves a powerful vacuum. Motivation and drive suffer very soon after the task is achieved, and the high achiever needs a new, equally challenging & attractive peak to summit. That vacuum is what we're seeing at this point.

They no longer have anything to prove, or the weight of 45 years of organizational failures and expectations pushing them. Their "luck" last year was a result of their change in attitude, pushed by that sense of purpose, and manifested in a higher level of zone performance and effort than they'd ever experienced. "We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" was more than a soundbite, it was a mission statement.

But it only works once.

The fact is, statistically, they are probably not going to win the Cup this year. Before the Pens repeated 2 years ago there hadn't been a b2b champ for 20 years, and that was at the peak of those 90s Red Wings teams. Before that it was the Pens and Mario/Jagr in the early 90s, which was the end of the dynasty era. At this point in the season, in this capped era where every team improves in the offseason but has salary limitations, the Capitals are just like any other team trying to make the playoffs and have a shot at the Cup.

So remove the lofty expectations from your mind right now, and all of this will make more sense.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
As fans there's a very easy fix: chill out and be patient. It's barely November.

As a team it's not simply about playing better individually or better defense/coaching/etc. They have to rediscover their motivation and work ethic following the achievement of the ultimate goal--a goal that extends well beyond when most of them were even born.

That is no short order. It's a known phenomenon that achieving a goal without an equally strong new goal in place leaves a powerful vacuum. Motivation and drive suffer very soon after the task is achieved, and the high achiever needs a new, equally challenging & attractive peak to summit. That vacuum is what we're seeing at this point.

They no longer have anything to prove, or the weight of 45 years of organizational failures and expectations pushing them. Their "luck" last year was a result of their change in attitude, pushed by that sense of purpose, and manifested in a higher level of zone performance and effort than they'd ever experienced. "We're not going to be ****ing suck this year" was more than a soundbite, it was a mission statement.

But it only works once.

The fact is, statistically, they are probably not going to win the Cup this year. Before the Pens repeated 2 years ago there hadn't been a b2b champ for 20 years, and that was at the peak of those 90s Red Wings teams. Before that it was the Pens and Mario/Jagr in the early 90s, which was the end of the dynasty era. At this point in the season, in this capped era where every team improves in the offseason but has salary limitations, the Capitals are just like any other team trying to make the playoffs and have a shot at the Cup.

So remove the lofty expectations from your mind right now, and all of this will make more sense.
I honestly dont think many fans expected a repeat. Fans probably want a better product on the ice than what they are getting though.
The team isnt playing well. Holtby isn't playing well and we have no one capable of spelling him for any length big time.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Was talking to my dad yesterday about Holtby. Remember he struggled A LOT last season, which is why he was benched

You only need 16 games of being hot to win the cup.

Now he’s struggling again. It’s perhaps that Holtby isn’t as good as we hope he’s going to be long-term.

I know it’s sfill early but did Holtby just pull a Halak? He’s way to inconsistent to be considered a top 15 goalie right now

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
I honestly dont think many fans expected a repeat. Fans probably want a better product on the ice than what they are getting though.
The team isnt playing well. Holtby isn't playing well and we have no one capable of spelling him for any length big time.

Agreed that it's unlikely that many fans expect a repeat. If we accept g00n's point, ("It's a known phenomenon that achieving a goal without an equally strong new goal in place leaves a powerful vacuum. Motivation and drive suffer very soon after the task is achieved, and the high achiever needs a new, equally challenging & attractive peak to summit. That vacuum is what we're seeing at this point."), then #77 suggested the group's new goal when speaking immediately following the victory parade. Back-to-back requires a better performance than what we're seeing in the first 15 percent of the season. And it isn't just on one player. Holtby hasn't been sharp and Gruby isn't here to backfill while he gets his act together. The bottom 6 forwards show a flash here and there but as a group is nowhere near last season's performance. The top 6 and top 4 d are too often lackadaisical and frequently look like they've never played together. Bowey's performance over the last couple of games offers hope. The team - any team - can usually survive when a couple of guys have off nights, but so far the Caps seem to be off as a group more often than they're on.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
65 has to go. There is just nothing positive there. So much potential, so little production.
No chance. They have his rights and he’s someone on a given night that is capable of winning a game. When Wilson is back 65 is a legit bottom 6 forward.

People ready to throw him under the bus already after 12 games after he came up huge in biggest Caps game of year last year (game 7 VS TB).

Nothing in October/November is a big deal. We were talking about firing Trotz around this time last year. Soooo much hockey left.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
No chance. They have his rights and he’s someone on a given night that is capable of winning a game. When Wilson is back 65 is a legit bottom 6 forward.

People ready to throw him under the bus already after 12 games after he came up huge in biggest Caps game of year last year (game 7 VS TB).

Nothing in October/November is a big deal. We were talking about firing Trotz around this time last year. Soooo much hockey left.

So you think re-signing Burakvosky is the way to go, or do we just give him the rest of the season, his seven to ten goals, and call it a day?

And for the record Ovechkin had the game winner in that game seven. ;)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If he accepts bottom 6 salary why not?
His QO would be $3.25M. They could not qualify him and still re-sign him at a lower rate but at that point for him it's probably better to get a fresh start elsewhere.

As far as who should sit once Wilson returns, it should probably be Stephenson or DSP but it could be Burakovsky if PK roles give the former an advantage. Based on eye test, particularly in forechecking situations, Stephenson seems like the biggest passenger most nights. Count me among those intrigued by Jaskin on the top line. He does a lot of little things well and it seems like Vrana's speed is sort of wasted on the top line. Maybe if 92/8 were playing far more consistent it could work but it's better to have that on a lower line for the time being IMO. The top line needs more of a worker the way they're going lately.

I'm inclined to give them another week or two to figure it out, if not until Wilson returns. The top line and D pair need to be way more focused/consistent.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
His QO would be $3.25M. They could not qualify him and still re-sign him at a lower rate but at that point for him it's probably better to get a fresh start elsewhere.

As far as who should sit once Wilson returns, it should probably be Stephenson or DSP but it could be Burakovsky if PK roles give the former an advantage. Based on eye test, particularly in forechecking situations, Stephenson seems like the biggest passenger most nights. Count me among those intrigued by Jaskin on the top line. He does a lot of little things well and it seems like Vrana's speed is sort of wasted on the top line. Maybe if 92/8 were playing far more consistent it could work but it's better to have that on a lower line for the time being IMO. The top line needs more of a worker the way they're going lately.

I'm inclined to give them another week or two to figure it out, if not until Wilson returns. The top line and D pair need to be way more focused/consistent.
Yes, better for him, but I doubt he wants to go try his luck elsewhere. Time will show.
Well said about other players' situations. Totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad