COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
My wife got two Pfizer doses a while back and had no side effects.

In other news, federal (not state) eviction moratorium declared unconstitutional. Didn't read decision real closely, but seems to rely heavily on Supreme Court case of Lopez, which was an outlier in finding a limitation on Congress' power under the Commerce Clause. I suspect this one will get appealed and, depending on the panel drawn and the makeup of the 5th Circuit these days, and in my very humble opinion, has a good chance of being overturned.

Judge rules CDC eviction moratorium unconstitutional

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I feel like shit this morning. Arm very sore, ringing in my ears, head fuzzy and general lethargy.

f***ing great
upload_2021-2-27_7-42-18.gif

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
They should hand out HUGE fines for anyone trying to pass a forged proof of vaccine.

Agreed. It isn't like getting a fake ID card to get a beer while in high school. And even then the ramifications are a fine and license suspension. In this case you can kill someone.

Again though, we are getting closer to something like herd immunity.

Bill Gates said this recently, which is literally two to five months away:

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

And 100 percent of those polled think that the poll makers are creepy and inappropriate.

I feel like a higher % of people would give up sex to stop COVID than did give up sex to stop HIV at its peak.

Which tells you where public sentiment is at, and how responses to the pandemic are going to be informed by the general political-economic-social situation at the time. Attention Sophomores at Amherst and Wellesley: there's an easy 6-page paper topic for ya.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

And 100 percent of those polled think that the poll makers are creepy and inappropriate.

*hasn't even accidentally felt the touch of another person since getting a haircut in preparation of flying to Central Europe 358 days ago*

:ha:

I hate that, technically speaking, that headline is accurate for me. New Zealand in November is the light at the end of the tunnel for me as it stands.

edit: Sickos

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
*hasn't even accidentally felt the touch of another person since getting a haircut in preparation of flying to Central Europe 358 days ago*

:ha:

I hate that, technically speaking, that headline is accurate for me. New Zealand in November is the light at the end of the tunnel for me as it stands.

What kind of haircut do they give where you are?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
A full scalp massage that leaves you with a happy ending

metalan2

May 30, 2008
My wife got two Pfizer doses a while back and had no side effects.

In other news, federal (not state) eviction moratorium declared unconstitutional. Didn't read decision real closely, but seems to rely heavily on Supreme Court case of Lopez, which was an outlier in finding a limitation on Congress' power under the Commerce Clause. I suspect this one will get appealed and, depending on the panel drawn and the makeup of the 5th Circuit these days, and in my very humble opinion, has a good chance of being overturned.

Judge rules CDC eviction moratorium unconstitutional
I don't see how, or why this would be overturned?

The government can absolutely not force an individual to keep a tenant, for any reason.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
They should hand out HUGE fines for anyone trying to pass a forged proof of vaccine.
You should never need to show proof of vaccine.

If it does come to that, you can bet there will be a massive market for these things.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

If it does come to that, you can bet there will be a massive market for these things.

No one would be "making" anyone do anything. It is a choice. Just like many choices offered in this country and most others. As long as the government imposes restrictions based on logic and in a non-descriminatary way the courts allow it. Examples. Driving. Drinking at 21. A million others.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

The government can absolutely not force an individual to keep a tenant, for any reason.

I'm not an expert on this area of the law, but state and local governments can in fact force landlords to keep tenants under the state local police powers. The Supreme Court actually affirmed these powers in a case in the 1930s. The question in this case was whether the federal government, under its authority under the Commerce Clause can do the same thing. This judge said no, but since the early 1940's, with a few notable exceptions, courts have read the feds' authority under the CC quite broadly, upholding the legislation/regulation, etc if it has a substantial effect on interstate commerce. Under this broad, malleable standard, any creative judge can create an "effect" of something ostensibly local on interstate commerce. This case relied heavily on those exceptions, so even though there are no precedents directly on point - federal government issuing eviction moratoria - there are ample precedents on which an appellate court could rely to overturn this judge's decision.

I'm not sure of the makeup of the 5th Circuit these days, and a lot depends on the 3-judge panel that's drawn, but I could definitely see this one overturned based simply on the amount of precedent out there affirming the federal government's extremely broad powers. I should say, however, that the Lopez case, which is one of the exceptions cited heavily in the Judge's decision, did come from the 5th Circuit before going to the Supreme Court.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Yet I just had to submit my "normal" vaccination records when applying for a job recently... And had to start hepA again because I lost that one.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Also good luck enrolling in school without showing proof

Why treat covid any different?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yet I just had to submit my "normal" vaccination records when applying for a job recently... And had to start hepA again because I lost that one.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Well, when you need one authorization that lasts the entire year, like school, that's one thing.

When you've gotta have someone checking at every restaurant and park for everything we do, that's another.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

This is just an interesting discussion. If COVID proved anything, it proved how f***ing bullshit contract language is and how bullshit rights are. :laugh: But this discussion is just interesting for all reasons because of the effect that trickles downstream when you really think about it. Taxes, banks, bills, etc. It is so amazing and I think it could be a fascinating conversation.

Force majeure is a common contract language and I could not believe how many lawyers noted this would not play into business/individual rent, mortgage, etc. It was fascinating. Literally you would think force majeure was written for this exact moment. And it isn't.

And that's really sad to see all the abuse of power and false security of what freedom should actually be.

Yeeeuuuuup. 100%. I cannot laugh enough at how naïve people can be.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeeeuuuuup. 100%. I cannot laugh enough at how naïve people can be.

For a disease with an IFR of .3-.5% and 0% if you care enough to be vaccinated yourself.

It's mind-boggling.

So much of this kind of theatre is just to justify post-hoc the mountain-making out of a...i dunno, mid-sized hill?

Call me back when airborne AIDS actually shows up and I'll be cool with carrying my vaccine papers around.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

Hmmmmmmmmm

You can submit vaccine exemptions for any school and for any reason.

You can not force a human being to take an experimental gene therapy, which is what the covid vax is.

And you don't need vax papers to go-to a Pens game. They're going to try to make you show proof everywhere.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You can submit vaccine exemptions for any school and for any reason.

You can not force a human being to take an experimental gene therapy, which is what the covid vax is.

And you don't need vax papers to go-to a Pens game. They're going to try to make you show proof everywhere.
1) It depends what state you live in. A number of states now only accept medical exemptions (i.e. from a doctor), none of this "personal belief" BS.

2) As for the bolded, what the f*** are you talking about?

metalan2

May 30, 2008
1) It depends what state you live in. A number of states now only accept medical exemptions (i.e. from a doctor), none of this "personal belief" BS.

2) As for the bolded, what the f*** are you talking about?

The mRNA vaccine is the first if it's kind. It use RNA to edit your cells.

"The synthetic mRNA material, wrapped in an oily bubble coating made of lipid nanoparticles, delivers instructions to cells to make spike proteins to fight the virus. When synthetic mRNA enters the human patient, the material fuses to cells and cell’s molecules start to decode the genomic sequence to build the spike proteins. The immune system recognizes the spike protein as a foreign invader and produces antibodies against it."

It's a gene therapy, it isn't a typical vaccine. It's never been used before and still isn't even fda approved, not that it even matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad