COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I think it's definitely questionable when people hold this much hate and negativity. That's a scary world, honestly. I think we can see it all over social media. We see it in these mental illness reports. I hate to sound down but this attitude leads to the mental illness crisis we see. It really opens my eyes when the first comment from people, followed by likes, to not trust anyone and hold everyone accountable because there may be people you cannot trust. This also shows a massive amount of selfishness for people against equality. Treat people like you would want to be treated. And I respect that trust is earned. I get it. I understand that. But if we truly want equality, then we have to take that leap of faith into this world.

If we first think the most negative thing about the situation or other people, we failed as a community. When a pandemic hits, we have to pick one another up. It's bad enough to look at these mental illness stats and know its probably 25x worse. I'm not telling people to blindly be optimistic, either. In a pandemic, it's sad day to day. Lives are lost. People are hurting.

I would just expect and hope people would see the good in other people as they would to be seen in themselves. I see a lot of finger pointing, which really goes against the idea of wanting equal rights for all humans. Simply stating that those vaccinated with science/data looking to support the fact they do not carry/spread the virus should still wear masks because we cannot trust people is something I can't even 1% get behind. I'd rather die in the fight to find the positive light.

edit: Also I fully support if YOU choose to be that way. You are asking policy to be built around a lack of trust of people. That's where we differ. If a human being doesn't want to trust, so be it. That's down to the human being. But when policy over COVID is built around trust.. yikes.
I present to you exhibit A:
Yesterday a poster in this thread proudly posted that he's not getting vaccinated just to piss off people who did get it.

This person is a minority, but not that small of a minority.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Yesterday a poster in this thread proudly posted that he's not getting vaccinated just to piss off people who did get it.

Exactly. That is what hatred and negativity looks like. People whose value system is centered around annoying or making things difficult for those who disagree with them. Not those trying to keep people alive in a pandemic.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
More insults and again attacking a straw man that you've created. I think we're done here.

Why are you saying insult when I'm talking about covid policies? I don't understand. I ask everyone... Don't fall for the classic twitter moves. Have a discussion or agree to disagree. I have nothing but love for HF and our HFP community. Trusting humans is not a negative.

I think you are deferring to that comment because you don't have an answer. It's just a difference of opinion. It won't hurt either of us.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I do not agree with that person's decision. I don't think it's the best decision. It seems like that is 1-2 individual's perspective in a thread of A LOT of people. I think it's pretty easily identified as an opinion not shared by the masses.

But I will never hate that person for having that opinion. I don't want to silence a person for not having the same opinion as me. Now if he/she were to try to push it on other people and provide data that wasn't provided by CDC and/or a reputable source... then I would take moderator action.

If the person was 19 and chose to wait it out for the sole reason of it being emergency use only and the young adult has a VERY high chance to not have a morbid case of COVID, then I would also just agree that decision is fine as well. Science/data backs it up.

This is must read - Ziggy. CDC says there is no evidence of a vaccinated person carrying the disease/passing it on unless very rare scenarios and the symptoms are VERY minor. This is the data so far. So the vaccinated person can still take their mask off and live freely. Data points to it.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Exactly. That is what hatred and negativity looks like. People whose value system is centered around annoying or making things difficult for those who disagree with them. Not those trying to keep people alive in a pandemic.

This is factually incorrect with current data per my post above.

I want to give you a thought/discussion provoking comment. A person who is vaccinated, a person who wants the vaccine, and a person who does not want the vaccine are no better/worse than each other. 3 unique scenarios.

The vaccinated person did their part. Take the mask off and grab a sandwich at a restaurant. We should celebrate this person. Go to the gym. Go vacation. Get after life! I want the vaccine and feel safe once I have it, it is my responsibility to take the precautions I need to take before getting it. I will judge the risk I'm comfortable with and what i'm not comfortable with. I am not better than the other person. If they want to freely go out and do what they want, that is their choice. The vaccine will come to me, then I will go out freely and openly. I think vaccinated people should do their thing. People who dont' want it can do their thing. People waiting can be patient. Hospitals are not overwhelmed right now.

Holding back everyone until the very last person is vaccinated is not the answer. We will never achieve that. Why are we fighting with that so much?

(obviously this example is all in relation to current state of COVID. Hospital/area/etc. all matter.)

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Why are you saying insult when I'm talking about covid policies? I don't understand. I ask everyone...

Because you can't seem to just say that someone's ideas are bad/wrong or that you disagree. You have to say that they're selfish, that they hate their neighbours, that they hate equality, etc. Nobody here hates their neighbours or is against equality, they just have a different opinion on certain COVID policies. Everyone wants the same things - for this to finally end and for as few people to die as possible, they just have a different view on how best to achieve that.

Don't fall for the classic twitter moves. Have a discussion or agree to disagree.

No that's my point.

I think you are deferring to that comment because you don't have an answer. It's just a difference of opinion. It won't hurt either of us.

There's just no point. You're arguing against a straw man every time.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
This is factually incorrect with current data per my post above.

I want to give you a thought/discussion provoking comment. A person who is vaccinated, a person who wants the vaccine, and a person who does not want the vaccine are no better/worse than each other. 3 unique scenarios.

The vaccinated person did their part. Take the mask off and grab a sandwich at a restaurant. We should celebrate this person. Go to the gym. Go vacation. Get after life! I want the vaccine and feel safe once I have it, it is my responsibility to take the precautions I need to take before getting it. I will judge the risk I'm comfortable with and what i'm not comfortable with. I am not better than the other person. If they want to freely go out and do what they want, that is their choice. The vaccine will come to me, then I will go out freely and openly. I think vaccinated people should do their thing. People who dont' want it can do their thing. People waiting can be patient. Hospitals are not overwhelmed right now.

Holding back everyone until the very last person is vaccinated is not the answer. We will never achieve that. Why are we fighting with that so much?

(obviously this example is all in relation to current state of COVID. Hospital/area/etc. all matter.)
Like I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I'm not sure what is has to do with my comment at all. I was specifically talking about the poster who claimed he wouldn't get the vaccine out of spite because of the people on social media who were celebrating getting their shot.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I do not agree with that person's decision. I don't think it's the best decision. It seems like that is 1-2 individual's perspective in a thread of A LOT of people. I think it's pretty easily identified as an opinion not shared by the masses.

But I will never hate that person for having that opinion. I don't want to silence a person for not having the same opinion as me. Now if he/she were to try to push it on other people and provide data that wasn't provided by CDC and/or a reputable source... then I would take moderator action.

If the person was 19 and chose to wait it out for the sole reason of it being emergency use only and the young adult has a VERY high chance to not have a morbid case of COVID, then I would also just agree that decision is fine as well. Science/data backs it up.

This is must read - Ziggy. CDC says there is no evidence of a vaccinated person carrying the disease/passing it on unless very rare scenarios and the symptoms are VERY minor. This is the data so far. So the vaccinated person can still take their mask off and live freely. Data points to it.
For the first paragraph, I hope you understand why this specific example is why people don't trust people to be responsible. Just because you respect their decision doesn't make their behavior OK. He's not just affecting himself. He's potentially affecting the people around him.

As for the last paragraph, this is all true. But the problem is that the vast majority of Americans (and the world) still aren't vaccinated. We can't jump the gun too soon or we'll be in another lock down. And no one wants thats.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
This pandemic proved that many people cannot be trusted. No, I do not have faith in society. Sure most people are trustworthy and responsible. But the few who aren't ruin it for the many
This pandemic proved that governments on every level cannot be trusted. It has proved that governmental and world health agencies are also completely controlled by special interests and have no real interest in your health.

The fact that agencies like the cdc said absolutely nothing about supporting your immune system and just to hide in your house until there was an experimental vaccine is insane. The fact that they push wearing any crap mask at all times is insane.

There have been multiple proven precautiojs one could take, like vitamin d, that severely limit covid symptoms if taken as a precaution. There are other precautions like this as well. You would think that a health agency would mention any of this, but they didn't. Maybe eventually in a hidden article, but no, just wait for a vaccine.

The WHO acted like a mouth piece for China during every stage of the pandemic and pushed their lockdown and "mask" agenda to the rest of the world.

Now, we have countries like Canada, and some in Europe threatening lockdowns for several hundred hospitalizations in country's with tens of millions.

How can anyone agree with any of this when there are so many treatnents, risk factors understood, and now a vaccine?

It's utter madness and the government's of the world will NEVER stop. They will always say there are new strains. These insane leaders want to wield control forever. They are not trying to end this, they are trying to keep it going.

I can't even fathom how anyone can sit there with a straight face and call someone selfish for not taking a vaccine that has killed people and is the first of it's kind. I can't fathom how anyone can sit there and allow their local or national governments to continually dictate every aspect of their lives and businesses. I can't fathom anyone allowing lunatics demand masks on little children while playing at the park. Enough is enough.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
This pandemic proved that governments on every level cannot be trusted. It has proved that governmental and world health agencies are also completely controlled by special interests and have no real interest in your health.

The fact that agencies like the cdc said absolutely nothing about supporting your immune system and just to hide in your house until there was an experimental vaccine is insane. The fact that they push wearing any crap mask at all times is insane.

There have been multiple proven precautiojs one could take, like vitamin d, that severely limit covid symptoms if taken as a precaution. There are other precautions like this as well. You would think that a health agency would mention any of this, but they didn't. Maybe eventually in a hidden article, but no, just wait for a vaccine.

The WHO acted like a mouth piece for China during every stage of the pandemic and pushed their lockdown and "mask" agenda to the rest of the world.

Now, we have countries like Canada, and some in Europe threatening lockdowns for several hundred hospitalizations in country's with tens of millions.

How can anyone agree with any of this when there are so many treatnents, risk factors understood, and now a vaccine?

It's utter madness and the government's of the world will NEVER stop. They will always say there are new strains. These insane leaders want to wield control forever. They are not trying to end this, they are trying to keep it going.

I can't even fathom how anyone can sit there with a straight face and call someone selfish for not taking a vaccine that has killed people and is the first of it's kind. I can't fathom how anyone can sit there and allow their local or national governments to continually dictate every aspect of their lives and businesses. I can't fathom anyone allowing lunatics demand masks on little children while playing at the park. Enough is enough.
So when restrictions are lifted in the US by the end of the year, you're going to tell us you were wrong, right?

metalan2

May 30, 2008

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331-220645.jpg
    Screenshot_20210331-220645.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 3

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Ontario going back into lockdown because of 421 hospitalizations out of like 14 million people.

1,111 hospitalizations, 421 in ICU - which is the highest the province has had at any point during the pandemic, also 252 on ventilators. These numbers have been rising quickly with no sign of slowing down.

Our already underfunded healthcare system is stressed to the point where some hospitals are approaching the breaking point. There's already a huge surgery backlog. What do you think they should do? It will affect everyone who needs healthcare for any reason if the numbers continue to increase.

Edit - also this is Doug Ford, he'll probably implement some weak half-measures that don't change much and most certainly won't be an actual lockdown.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Good news from Pfizer and Moderna that came out recently:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc...a-covid-vaccines-was-80percent-effective.html
Pfizer COVID vaccine over 90% effective for at least 6 months: Study

I wonder if we learn down the line that the 2nd vaccine, which has caused most of the negative side effects as far as I know, was mostly unnecessary overall. I imagine that a lot of effort in the next few years will be focused in refining that 2nd vaccine to make the side effects less bad.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

That's not correct. The person in question proudly posted he's not getting vaccinated to piss off people on social media who act like getting vaccinated for coronavirus is a profound moral act for which they should be praised. The objection is to a phenomenon called peacocking*, not the notion that someone, somewhere "did get" a vaccine. Similar thing to the archetypal church lady who says her Hail Marys as loud as possible and expects others to marvel at her holiness; the action taken is taken solely for the purpose of demanding praise. Expressing scorn for this behavior is not expressing scorn for God. Neither is expressing scorn for vaccine peacocking expressing scorn for having been vaccinated.

Now, there are obviously objections that can be raised with this thought process (the issue I took was that it would be wiser to not use social media than to take some potentially dangerous course of action under the premise that a concept would or even could be punished by it), but objecting to a thing that was not said, then presenting this non-event to make broad generalizations, serves even less of a legitimate purpose than trying to punish a concept.

*I shut down facebook in ~2010 and twitter a few years later, so I have no idea whether vaccine peacocking is a thing on social media, let alone whether it's as common as the poster is suggesting. Either way, I stand by my position that the most-productive response to something on social media that makes you angry is to understand that's the business model and you're being a mark in using it.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad