COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I guess for me it comes down to not so much that young people will die from this, although they have been. But more that they will get it and carry it to vulnerable people.

So until now I am firmly in the mask and social distance category. Partly for myself. If something has even a small chance of death to me I take that seriously. But even more because I care about those around me. Those close to me especially. But even those that I do not know, or even like, such as Flyers' fans. Even Tom Wilson, although that one I had to bite my tongue until it bled to say.

As people get vaccinated, mixed with people having naturally innoculated themselves by getting Covid, the case for relaxing restrictions becomes stronger. But in between, I think that things such as the ideas in that article are a great idea. And a way to return to normal even faster. Which everyone should want, because it would save businesses and jobs. Because otherwise, face it, they are not going to go immediately maskless and no social distancing in restaurants and similar.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I guess for me it comes down to not so much that young people will die from this, although they have been. But more that they will get it and carry it to vulnerable people.

So until now I am firmly in the mask and social distance category. Partly for myself. If something has even a small chance of death to me I take that seriously. But even more because I care about those around me. Those close to me especially. But even those that I do not know, or even like, such as Flyers' fans.

As people get vaccinated, mixed with people having naturally innoculated themselves by getting Covid, the case for relaxing restrictions becomes stronger. But in between, I think that things such as the ideas in that article are a great idea. And a way to return to normal even faster. Which everyone should want, because it would save businesses and jobs.

I didn't read article, but I've been doing what you mention.

No option other than going back to October 2019 and not allowing it to start is good.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Maybe i'm reading this wrong. Do you think small businesses were treated fairly throughout this? I think if there is one takeaway from every state, except a handful, is that we failed our small businesses so poorly. So poorly. We should be ashamed of that as a country. I think that should be universally agreed upon.

And I once again point to my core value of "Let people decide." If a restaurant wants to mandate vaccine proof, I applaud them. If they don't, I applaud them. It's their decision. I just consistently want to say Florida was the yay or nay in this. If their stats were so garbage, I think I would have to say 'Welp.. we have evidence. It's time to accept we have to mandate the vaccine." But when we have a situation like Florida... we have to look towards it and say "Welp there is the evidence."

I'm referring to the type of people who refused to wear masks and wonder why things only got worse and shutdowns continued.

I have ownership in a few small businesses, one essentially has been shut down since last February. The PP program has kept everything afloat. A lot of people don't understand it and assume it's not a good program. If you utilize the funds for the correct reasons, it is essentially a grant. Maybe the government didn't do a very good job explaining how it works, but all it takes is a little research and time to get through the paperwork. Many millions of dollars went unclaimed through the first stimulus because businesses didn't take advantage. That's their fault.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
... @ColePens

I gotta say, I'm fully onboard with PPE and cleaning practices due to my job etc I've avoided going out as much as possible and seen my elderly family like...zero this past twelve months

But... Gonna be interesting in a couple more years...

.. I feel for anyone affected personally by COVID19, but... Even at triple the deathrate we know of right now, the response was ridiculous... That's all

Signed, an extremely liberal west coaster who you would think might not say what I did

I was worried about the maximalist response from the beginning.

I'd seen at so many times in life when an organization or a group can get such myopia about a particular topic, and I guess now I second guess that whenever it happens. I was a kid in 2003 when going to war in Iraq seemed like the right and obvious thing to do. Whoops.

It was clear that:
A) people were afraid and thought the death rate was 3-5% (e.g., the movie Contagion)
B) The Orange was laissez-faire and didn't think this rose to that level even if it was bad - see the Woodward tapes - and thus kinda dismissed it. There was also the small matter of the impeachment trial but neither here nor there.
C) Thus he lost people's trust - well most people justifiably hate him anyway - and so the real thought leadership came from the epidemiologists, except it became clear that...
D) The epidemiologists are the most risk-averse group of people on the planet and also their incentive structure is purely based on prevent-a-disease and they get no blowback for their overreaction. They are also entrenched in academia which is divorced from the reality of the world for most people.
E) Also that governments would have to show they were DOING SOMETHING and thus closed playground and filled skateparks with sand lol for 3 months.

I dunno. COVID's really bad but I don't think it's worth having a Great Societal Reset over. That includes vaccine passports required by the government (though if businesses or school districts want to have their own vax requirement, sure go ahead)

Reactions: EightyOne

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

So until now I am firmly in the mask and social distance category. Partly for myself. If something has even a small chance of death to me I take that seriously. But even more because I care about those around me. Those close to me especially. But even those that I do not know, or even like, such as Flyers' fans. Even Tom Wilson, although that one I had to bite my tongue until it bled to say.

As people get vaccinated, mixed with people having naturally innoculated themselves by getting Covid, the case for relaxing restrictions becomes stronger. But in between, I think that things such as the ideas in that article are a great idea. And a way to return to normal even faster. Which everyone should want, because it would save businesses and jobs. Because otherwise, face it, they are not going to go immediately maskless and no social distancing in restaurants and similar.

Make no mistake it can kill healthy people too, and has. Even if you catch it and survive it, there is a chance you'll get lifelong damage/complications from having had it. People are talking about getting over it and then having memory issues or breathing issues months after recovery. This is a very scary disease and nobody should want to get it.

Personally, I'm taking every precaution I can and that includes not playing hockey which I miss terribly. But until I get vaccinated it's not worth the risk to me or my family. Even when I get vaccinated I'll keep masking up and being careful as much as possible until there's herd immunity or clear proof that I'm not a risk of carrying it to others.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Make no mistake it can kill healthy people too, and has. Even if you catch it and survive it, there is a chance you'll get lifelong damage/complications from having had it. People are talking about getting over it and then having memory issues or breathing issues months after recovery. This is a very scary disease and nobody should want to get it.

Personally, I'm taking every precaution I can and that includes not playing hockey which I miss terribly. But until I get vaccinated it's not worth the risk to me or my family. Even when I get vaccinated I'll keep masking up and being careful as much as possible until there's herd immunity or clear proof that I'm not a risk of carrying it to others.

The amazing news is that it is looking more and more like the vaccines, Pfizer and Moderna anyways which are MRNA based, provide not only very high immunity, and even for those one out of twenty that miss they get a very mild not hospitalized case. AND it almost completely prevents you from spreading.

This whole debate may become academic soon. Around one in five Americans have been vaccinated. As many as a third more Americans have been infected and came out with some natural immunity. As soon as a couple of months from now and we will be much closer to normal.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside I would like this thread to remain stickied. There is interest for one thing.

But mostly because it would then feel like we won the cup twenty years in a row when this thread is unstickied, not because of sports threads crowding it or similar. But because we no longer need it.

That would be something to celebrate.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The app that I spoke of a couple of days ago is launching in about a month. Several airlines already are on board. It certainly could open up travel much more quickly.

I worry about Europe though. And whether they will be very slow to reopen. They make Pennsylvania look like a well oiled machine. Where one in five americans have been vaccinated, almost a third of all in the UK, the rest of Europe is a clown car. Only five to six percent vaccinated, and still arguing among themselves instead of getting their stuff together.

Boris Johnson's vaccine strategy gets another boost, while Europe's scramble for shots continues - CNN

In fact their own leaders, without any scientific backing, are casting doubt on the efficacy of the vaccine that most have available there, to the point that Angela Merkel of Germany refuses to get vaccinated.

As the spat overheated, some European leaders went as far as publicly casting doubt on the effectiveness of the vaccine.

French President Emmanuel Macron described the AstraZeneca vaccine as "quasi-ineffective" in older people, saying "the first results are not encouraging for those over 60-65 years old." The claim was disputed by multiple scientists.

Hockey 4 everyone

Sep 29, 2017
i also think this thread should be stickied.

myself and my 2 siblings have spent the past 8 hours obsessively checking the giant eagle website to register our parents for the covid vaccine clinic that is planned at heinz field next week. despite the many local news stories about this, at no point were we able to register our parents for the heinz field vaccination, nor did it seem like there were even any openings at heinz field. it was a marginal success though, we were able to register our parents for the vaccine at two different locations at two different dates, albeit more than 3 hours away from allegheny county.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Just an FYI about WV vaccine scheduling ... pre-existing conditions are NOT being taken into consideration when doses are available. We're only doing it by age. Source: me and my livid oncologist.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Arm starting to hurt 10 hours in. Injection site is sore and I can't lift my arm chicken wing style without it hurting. Hopefully it doesn't fall off.

my arm muscle began to hurt as well last night after multiple hours after injection...just sore muscle around injection site but that’s it

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Arm starting to hurt 10 hours in. Injection site is sore and I can't lift my arm chicken wing style without it hurting. Hopefully it doesn't fall off.

Getting my second shot on Friday. My girlfriend got hers a few weeks ago and the next day had 101 degree fever and chills and sweats for an entire morning, and then gradually came back to normal during the remainder of the day.

Meanwhile, we are very close to another vaccine gaining approval. More vaccine is great news.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Are you guys sticking to the 3 week wait between shots ? We are going 90 days which personally I find to be bullshit.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Are you guys sticking to the 3 week wait between shots ? We are going 90 days which personally I find to be bullshit.

Three weeks for Pfizer, four weeks for Moderna. The two are very similar but slight differences, including storage temperature and the extra week.

Ninety days does not seem to be a drug recommendation but maybe to stretch out how many can get a first dose? If so it makes some sense. It is how the UK got a third of their country vaccinated. I doubt that the extra couple of months will diminish the efficacy and the first dose gets you a long way to the same efficacy as two doses. Also even if you get it after one dose the evidence is that it will be a mild version and almost certainly no hospitalization.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The amazing news is that it is looking more and more like the vaccines, Pfizer and Moderna anyways which are MRNA based, provide not only very high immunity, and even for those one out of twenty that miss they get a very mild not hospitalized case. AND it almost completely prevents you from spreading.

This whole debate may become academic soon. Around one in five Americans have been vaccinated. As many as a third more Americans have been infected and came out with some natural immunity. As soon as a couple of months from now and we will be much closer to normal.

Here's hopin

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Three weeks for Pfizer, four weeks for Moderna. The two are very similar but slight differences, including storage temperature and the extra week.

Ninety days does not seem to be a drug recommendation but maybe to stretch out how many can get a first dose? If so it makes some sense. It is how the UK got a third of their country vaccinated. I doubt that the extra couple of months will diminish the efficacy and the first dose gets you a long way to the same efficacy as two doses. Also even if you get it after one dose the evidence is that it will be a mild version and almost certainly no hospitalization.
My slight issue is, this is a rushed project and I'm going to go with what the manufacturer found during the trials, not what some f***ed up suit says whilst trying to save face at a f***ed up vaccine roll out. If they are so concerned about number of people vaccinated then to me that says it is the number they care about, not the people.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
My slight issue is, this is a rushed project and I'm going to go with what the manufacturer found during the trials, not what some f***ed up suit says whilst trying to save face at a f***ed up vaccine roll out. If they are so concerned about number of people vaccinated then to me that says it is the number they care about, not the people.

I get the frustration. Hell, you have seen Cole and my constant bashing of Pennsylvania and their botched distribution relative to much of the rest of the country. And this country has vaccinated over 20% of the population.

Europe is a complete disaster with two of the biggest countries, France and Germany, having their leaders spread false rumors of the failure of the vaccine in older people and refusing to be vaccinated. Despite the science saying exactly the opposite.

Just look at the damn up to the minute statistics:

Rate of COVID-19 vaccination by country 2021 | Statista

Europe is only around 5% to 8% depending on the country. Canada is only 4.5%. If I lived there I would be livid at the politicians and demanding that they get their collective acts together. With nationalized health care you would think that it would be EASIER to obtain and distribute the vaccine compared to the decentralized distribution in the US with each state going its own way.

As for your particular situation though, be very glad that you got the first shot. I would want shot two as soon as possible, but you are 90% of the way to where you want to be.

From CNN just today:

The researchers found that in those who had a previous natural infection, vaccination increased their antibody levels more than 140-fold. "This increase appears to be at least one order of magnitude greater than reported after a conventional prime-boost vaccine strategy in previously uninfected individuals," the researchers wrote in their paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clare2904

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

10/10...My experience with Pfizer went like this:

literally nothing for 12 hours, then next 12 hours felt like someone punched me good in the arm, then hour 20-30 I had a SPLITTING headache

Then FINE again, zero side effects

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
First

haha, oh, I also passed out on the couch a bit...so I guess 'increased' fatigue was a side effect too!

Gonna be interesting to see what 2nd does in a couple weeks

From what I have read, and seen, the experiences vary. But many have little impact.

My father had virtually nothing either shot except for a slightly sore arm for a short time. I said above that my girlfriend had a stronger reaction to the second shot.

However, none are much to worry about. Even the responses like my girlfriend's. It simply means that the vaccine is working. Your body genuinely believes that it has been massively attacked and is mounting a vigorous defense. The symptoms are just your body gearing up for battle. It will wear off.

Just make sure that in case you do have a reaction like that that you are somewhere safe, and with someone there to watch over you. I would maybe take it easy the next day just to be safe.

Reactions: EightyOne

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Back to the discussion earlier today about vaccination "passports" and how they are going to be the golden ticket to get you into Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, along with everything else. And leave the not vaccinated on the outside looking in for a long time.

Israel who has vaccinated almost 90 percent of their population is a window into the near future for everyone.

Anyone unwilling or unable to get the jabs that confer immunity will be “left behind,” said Health Minister Yuli Edelstein.

“It’s really the only way forward at the moment,” Geffen said in an interview with The Associated Press.

The checks at the club’s doors, which admitted only those who could prove they are fully vaccinated, allowed at least a semblance of normality.

“People can’t live their lives in the new world without them,” he said. “We must take the vaccines. We must.”

Vaccination 'passports' may open society, but inequity looms

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta
Back to the discussion earlier today about vaccination "passports" and how they are going to be the golden ticket to get you into Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, along with everything else. And leave the not vaccinated on the outside looking in for a long time.

Israel who has vaccinated almost 90 percent of their population is a window into the near future for everyone.

Vaccination 'passports' may open society, but inequity looms

Yes, the forging of Green Passes in Israel has become quite the lucrative side hustle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad