COVID-19 Part V (not an election discussion topic)

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I got unemployment during the "good" years. My job was salary + bonus, they didn't factor in the bonus total from my prior tax year as if I'd make it the next year, it was some funky calculation.

So, when I got the paper citing the deposit amount I immediately thought "holy ****." It was like 1/2 my normal cash flow at the max amount and that max amount was only temporary.

Hustling ensued.

I can't imagine the bank account troubles a lot of our friends are having at the moment let alone mortgage/rent issues as a result.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I got unemployment during the "good" years. My job was salary + bonus, they didn't factor in the bonus total from my prior tax year as if I'd make it the next year, it was some funky calculation.

So, when I got the paper citing the deposit amount I immediately thought "holy ****." It was like 1/2 my normal cash flow at the max amount and that max amount was only temporary.

Hustling ensued.

I can't imagine the bank account troubles a lot of our friends are having at the moment let alone mortgage/rent issues as a result.

It’s a crying shame that millions of Americans are on the verge of financial ruin, if not already there. Not to mention the millions that already lived paycheck to paycheck beforehand.
But yet our elected officials give a one time 1200 check and now a bonus 600 dollar check. It’s a damn joke regardless of what anyone’s political philosophies fall under.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Any of you guys have any guesses to what might happen with the housing market in the next handful of months?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Reactions: Pez68 and Mrfenn92

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Swedish King: Our Wingnut-Approved COVID Strategy Was Deadly

Well, as the year ends, Sweden is coming to terms with a death toll per million that is approximately 10 times higher than neighboring Norway and Finland, and now its king has condemned political leaders for their experiment, branding the light-touch strategy a miserable and deadly failure.
tenor.gif

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Swedish King: Our Wingnut-Approved COVID Strategy Was Deadly

Well, as the year ends, Sweden is coming to terms with a death toll per million that is approximately 10 times higher than neighboring Norway and Finland, and now its king has condemned political leaders for their experiment, branding the light-touch strategy a miserable and deadly failure.

Nothing new though. They failed to protect their elderly people in retirement homes etc during the first wave and that's why their death rate is so high. Their infection numbers are mounting, too but they're still middle of the pack in Europe. Their infection rate certainly is much lower than ours in Switzerland. I think we're currently about 1200 cases per 100'000 ahead of them. The narrative of the Swedes doing nothing or trying for herd immunity is certainly wrong. They came away from that long ago and have learned from it. Their failure to protect the elderly and weak was the main problem there and we haven't done a much better job here in Switzerland, to be honest.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Nothing new though. They failed to protect their elderly people in retirement homes etc during the first wave and that's why their death rate is so high. Their infection numbers are mounting, too but they're still middle of the pack in Europe. Their infection rate certainly is much lower than ours in Switzerland. I think we're currently about 1200 cases per 100'000 ahead of them. The narrative of the Swedes doing nothing or trying for herd immunity is certainly wrong. They came away from that long ago and have learned from it. Their failure to protect the elderly and weak was the main problem there and we haven't done a much better job here in Switzerland, to be honest.

Weren’t you arguing, not even a month ago, that the Swedish model wasn’t a failure?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Weren’t you arguing, not even a month ago, that the Swedish model wasn’t a failure?

I guess it depends on what you call the Swedish model.

I was always sceptical about them trying for herd immunity. There wasn't enough information out there but it was a gamble with people's lives. So no. I found it interesting but I never liked it. And I always found it crazy how they've done nothing (and I mean nothing) to protect their elderly and weak). Trying for herd immunity was one thing but they should have protected their retirement and nursing homes at the very least.

But again, they reacted quickly after that. The narrative that they've done nothing is certainly wrong. For example, they've banned spectators from sports events long before most of the rest of Europe. So I certainly think they've done a good job since that first wave. Their measures certainly make a lot more sense than ours here in Switzerland and their infection numbers are better, too.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore

WTF. Meanwhile, West Virginia dem Senator argues it's too much for folks on unemployment to, gasp, also get a stimulus check:

This **** is too much. Up, down, left, right, sideways, slide. And many in the suits making the arguments against or limiting direct payments in the COVID bill are themselves crazy rich. A dollar spent now, while folks need it, will save ten dollars down the road.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

WTF. Meanwhile, West Virginia dem Senator argues it's too much for folks on unemployment to, gasp, also get a stimulus check:

This **** is too much. Up, down, left, right, sideways, slide. And many in the suits making the arguments against or limiting direct payments in the COVID bill are themselves crazy rich. A dollar spent now, while folks need it, will save ten dollars down the road.

There isn't a poor politician in this country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad