COVID-19 Part V (not an election discussion topic)

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Right, the administration's and Trump's rhetoric on the f***ing virus has had absolutely NOTHING to do with any of the problems we have right now. :laugh:

Gimme a f***ing break. Cut the both sides bullshit. It's gutless, and complete nonsense.

Oh, sure, so all the folks in this thread who caught COVID are Trump following anti-maskers, right? Or, Trump followers gave them an airborne virus that can remain alive in the atmosphere for hours, right?

Lol.

And all the major blue cities that have it bad have is cause Trump told them bad things, right? Trump gave bad advice, thus we're all SOL.

As long as there was no ability to lock down, America was never going to lock down. The Fed, at the very least, could have had this problem solved if either team had their **** together for at the very least the blue states who had every indication of compliance.

You give nothing, you get nothing. You fight for nothing, you win zero battles. You drink kool-aid in Jonestown? You go to the next life.

Keep making dumb excuses. COVID is Trump's fault is worse than birther syndrome. It's sad our schools failed to teach how branches, majorities and power works in politics.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Oh, sure, so all the folks in this thread who caught COVID are Trump following anti-maskers, right? Or, Trump followers gave them an airborne virus that can remain alive in the atmosphere for hours, right?

Lol.

And all the major blue cities that have it bad have is cause Trump told them bad things, right? Trump gave bad advice, thus we're all SOL.

As long as there was no ability to lock down, America was never going to lock down. The Fed, at the very least, could have had this problem solved if either team had their **** together for at the very least the blue states who had every indication of compliance.

You give nothing, you get nothing. You fight for nothing, you win zero battles. You drink kool-aid in Jonestown? You go to the next life.

Keep making dumb excuses. COVID is Trump's fault is worse than birther syndrome. It's sad our schools failed to teach how branches, majorities and power works in politics.
It's not his fault, but he has made the situation worse all the same.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Lol.

Jfc. Lol. If you don't think this administration and their messaging has played a role in how terribly this country has handled a global pandemic, then you have bigger problems than Covid to worry about.

Reactions: Pez68 and BobbyJet

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Jfc. Lol. If you don't think this administration and their messaging has played a role in how terribly this country has handled a global pandemic, then you have bigger problems than Covid to worry about.

Of course they've played a role. That's not the point, I'm saying the system is set up so you can fundamentally challenge that role beyond making excuses if you use leverage. That's the entire point of opposition parties within the framework of how the system is set up, no one will get everything they want but it's designed to get major concessions if you act in opposition to the other sides top interests.

They have even more power now. The blues miraculously retained the house, the senate is close and there are a few reds in the senate 100% willing to play hardball on foreign intervention, against large financial conglomerates and support stimulus payments.

So, tell the public, donors, et cetera, make concessions on a serious COVID relief package with employee protections (temp moratorium on firing ie voluntary lockdown) and monthly stimulus payments or else.....

This gives the blue president elect a mountain of leverage. All he has to do is, not even nominate, leak or go public with a list of supposed nominations for the administration who will fundamentally oppose red donor interests. Float former or current military leaders critical of current and past interventions for secretary of defense. You'll have CEO's in the defense industry on the phone so fast heads would roll, just having a level headed voice in that position for 4 years would freak them out. Float a hawkish financial regulator to head the treasury. Again, they'd **** their pants and the ball would be completely in the blues' court to demand serious concessions on COVID legislation. Party donors and bosses would sure as **** turn on their ears to throwing crumbs at the public then.

That's it, at the very least just scare the opposition with some rhetoric so you can actually make demands with power in your pocket.

Of course, that's the opposite of what has happened, nominations floated are mostly industry cronies and the actual opposition to them is not out of principle, but because some of them don't like the red team. That's it. Nominations, a powerful tool, are not being used to broker power.

So, again, they have no cards to play because they voluntarily to do not act as an opposition. They simply ask the boogeyman to be nice when it's convenient, then blame the boogeyman when he's not nice. No one is pitting power against power.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Of course they've played a role. That's not the point, I'm saying the system is set up so you can fundamentally challenge that role beyond making excuses if you use leverage. That's the entire point of opposition parties within the framework of how the system is set up, no one will get everything they want but it's designed to get major concessions if you act in opposition to the other sides top interests.

They have even more power now. The blues miraculously retained the house, the senate is close and there are a few reds in the senate 100% willing to play hardball on foreign intervention, against large financial conglomerates and support stimulus payments.

So, tell the public, donors, et cetera, make concessions on a serious COVID relief package with employee protections (temp moratorium on firing ie voluntary lockdown) and monthly stimulus payments or else.....

This gives the blue president elect a mountain of leverage. All he has to do is, not even nominate, leak or go public with a list of supposed nominations for the administration who will fundamentally oppose red donor interests. Float former or current military leaders critical of current and past interventions for secretary of defense. You'll have CEO's in the defense industry on the phone so fast heads would roll, just having a level headed voice in that position for 4 years would freak them out. Float a hawkish financial regulator to head the treasury. Again, they'd **** their pants and the ball would be completely in the blues' court to demand serious concessions on COVID legislation. Party donors and bosses would sure as **** turn on their ears to throwing crumbs at the public then.

That's it, at the very least just scare the opposition with some rhetoric so you can actually make demands with power in your pocket.

Of course, that's the opposite of what has happened, nominations floated are mostly industry cronies and the actual opposition to them is not out of principle, but because some of them don't like the red team. That's it. Nominations, a powerful tool, are not being used to broker power.

So, again, they have no cards to play because they voluntarily to do not act as an opposition. They simply ask the boogeyman to be nice when it's convenient, then blame the boogeyman when he's not nice. No one is pitting power against power.

It's 100% the point. It's the only point I was making when I first posted what I did, and then you came back with all these power struggle novels related to the two parties and politics. You've run off on a wild tangent that is entirely unrelated to the initial point I was making... :facepalm:

Here's a reminder.

At this point, there shouldn't be a mod, or person in this country for that matter, that has anything good to say about this administration. It should be open season on them here.

Now I'll be done getting lured into the political bullshit, like I wanted to be 3 posts ago. End of discussion.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Each side looks to be giving up a key thing they were fighting hard for.

At least there looks to be something getting done. Only took over 300k dead, and 200k new cases a day to put something together. All the rich douchebags who run this country have done is sit on their thumbs and rotate on them for the past 6 months.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How does that compare to the first round?

It doesn't.

They will pass another one that is larger and more comprehensive once Biden is in office (both sides have mentioned this). This should have been passed in July/August. In my opinion, not getting this done faster has hurt the American people more than anything. The extra unemployment was huge.

Georgia will decide how big the next package is with their election in January.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Did anyone else see Jake Tapper's message to Trump? If not I highly recommend watching it. He actually compliments Trump on Operation Warp Speed (right fully so).

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It doesn't.

They will pass another one that is larger and more comprehensive once Biden is in office (both sides have mentioned this). This should have been passed in July/August. In my opinion, not getting this done faster has hurt the American people more than anything. The extra unemployment was huge.

Georgia will decide how big the next package is with their election in January.

I just did a quick google and saw the prior one was 2 trillion, so at first glance 900 billion seems like quite a bit less.... but I haven’t looked into it beyond basically that.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I just did a quick google and saw the prior one was 2 trillion, so at first glance 900 billion seems like quite a bit less.... but I haven’t looked into it beyond basically that.

Yeah it is very much a short term solution.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah it is very much a short term solution.

Gotcha, given the difference in dollar amount I just assumed I had to be missing something.

Guess not.

So that’s what.... about $540 per person?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
It doesn't.

They will pass another one that is larger and more comprehensive once Biden is in office (both sides have mentioned this).

Far from a given. Unless the democrats win the Georgia senate seats, McConnell will remain majority leader, and has shown no willingness to bring a larger and more comprehensive bill to the floor.

Reactions: Pez68

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Eh...this liability shield thing, it smells funny. I don't know what the precedents are but one look at the supreme court and I can't imagine if a ruling goes that far that they'll rule against an employer.

I mean, hundreds of thousands dead, a big percentage of those likely directly or indirectly via household from the work place. For the flood gates to be open if it were ruled a matter of workplace safety and employer negligence would shock me.

Glad to be wrong, hell my family could be due for a payout in that instance.

Seems, if that's the case this shield is just a formal way of saving companies from that process/fees/payouts up until a direct precedent is ruled on in the high courts. Acting like it's a hill to die on might be a red herring for the fact that the 1.8 Trillion package w/second round of stimulus was never allowed to hit the house floor.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Man, that’s pretty pitiful for those out of work and in need.

Even if it was a repeat of the $1,200 from last time, it's still peanuts for people who lost their jobs from the pandemic and have been out of work for nine months. We need a package that includes substantial rent/mortgage relief (not the $25b that's being reported, which is nothing). This country is facing an eviction/foreclosure tsunami when the current moratoriums expire, with potentially 40M+ people losing their homes and being kicked into the street, at the height of the pandemic no less.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Far from a given. Unless the democrats win the Georgia senate seats, McConnell will remain majority leader, and has shown no willingness to bring a larger and more comprehensive bill to the floor.

I don't disagree but we can hope can't we?

Franklin needs to go.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Even if it was a repeat of the $1,200 from last time, it's still peanuts for people who lost their jobs from the pandemic and have been out of work for nine months. We need a package that includes substantial rent/mortgage relief (not the $25b that's being reported, which is nothing). This country is facing an eviction/foreclosure tsunami when the current moratoriums expire, with potentially 40M+ people losing their homes and being kicked into the street, at the height of the pandemic no less.

A monthly payment is what was needed but they didn't do it. Government spending in general needs to be redone.

Reactions: hawksrule

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I don't disagree but we can hope can't we?

Franklin needs to go.

Assuming that was autocorrect and you meant McConnell, I couldn't agree more. But he just won another six years. The next best thing would be for the dems to win Georgia so he won't be majority leader. He's done more damage to the country than any other single politician.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Assuming that was autocorrect and you meant McConnell, I couldn't agree more. But he just won another six years. The next best thing would be for the dems to win Georgia so he won't be majority leader. He's done more damage to the country than any other single politician.

Haha I call him Franklin.

agree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad