OT: Covid-19 (Part 58) Valentine's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
The luxury of boarding trains and planes isn't a right.....their rights of travelling has not been taking away, they privilege of using certain means to travel has.

And just to be clear....you are fighting for the right to get out of Canada is restore to unvaccinated even though they can't go anywhere anyway?

Imagine you are born in 1900....
At 14 years old a world war starts
At 18 years old it's a deadly pandemic
At 29 years old it's the great depression
At 41 years old it's world war 2.....

Now they throw a tantrum cause they can't board a plane TEMPORARILY during a pandemic or are not allowed to go to place they wouldn't even be able to go anyway?

Makes senses
Life is really hard and unfair.
Following your logic, you can ban someone from walking and he'll still have his right to travel, cause he's free to crawl, just like he did as a todler.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
How many times do we have to explain to you that the mandate doesn't prohibit you from leaving, you just have to quarantine when you come back?

That's a moot point though because the US won't let you in in the first place.

Flying is an essential method of transportation for international travel. If you're banned from flying, you're not really allowed to leave the country, which is part of section 6 of the Charter. Anyway we can argue about this all day, the mandates are being challenged in the courts.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Again, every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada. I'm starting to sound like a broken record when I say other countries' travel policies are irrelevant to the discussion.

Broken record is a pretty flattering term here, all thing considered.
The utter lack of understanding under which jurisdiction you fall in once you leave Canada is quite something.

If you are not an US citizens you cannot board a flight bound to the US if you are not vaccinated. This is an American law, not a Canadian law.
If you are not an US citizens you cannot enter the US by land if you are not vaccinated. This is an American law, not a Canadian law.

As far as Canada is concerned you can take your sailboat and sail all the way to Panama, nobody cares!
Don't have a sailboat? That problem is yours, and yours alone.

And no when you can't board a plane or a train in this country, you're not allowed to travel freely. It's unreasonable to expect someone to travel 5k km by car for a trip that would take a few hours by plane. If that's what free travel looks like to you, then I dunno what to tell you.

That's f***ing rich when we have a convoy that traveled all the way across Canada for a camping trip in Ottawa.

You ARE free to travel within the country, if driving across the country is too inconvenient for you, then get vaccinated. If getting vaccinated is too inconvenient for you, then stay home until the pandemic is over.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
The utter lack of understanding under which jurisdiction you fall in once you leave Canada is quite something.

If you are not an US citizens you cannot board a flight bound to the US if you are not vaccinated. This is an American law, not a Canadian law.
If you are not an US citizens you cannot enter the US by land if you are not vaccinated. This is an American law, not a Canadian law.

As far as Canada is concerned you can take your sailboat and sail all the way to Panama, nobody cares!

That's f***ing rich when we have a convoy that traveled all the way across Canada for a camping trip in Ottawa.

You ARE free to travel within the country, if driving across the country is too inconvenient for you, then get vaccinated. If getting vaccinated is too inconvenient for you, then stay home until the pandemic is over.
You just schooled him so badly

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal

Hey if unreasonable limits on your charter protected rights are the way you want to move forward as a country, by all means.

I still don't get why you bring up other countries' travel policies. Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada. In case it's not clear to you, I'm talking about canadian citizens' rights here. These rights do not extend across the border, so your rambling on about jurisdiction is useless. Again, in case you missed it, I'm talking about canadian citizens' rights. The ones in the Charter. Section 6. Not France, not Germany, Canada.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Strong division

FMAm8BGXEAMDZb9

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Yeah but unlike you, I'm not ready to throw reason out the window.

Reason ?

If you have to travel 5K KM....reason would dictacte to simply get a vaccin like 97% of newborn baby does for every other virus out there.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
You got to admit : the most badass looking police corps in Ottawa has been the SQ. They looked like a squadron (they are, about 200 of one bataillon, yes, a bataillon, I was told) of death in their gear. Ottavians have had their first close look at the squad that rocked the G20 and the 2012 student riots.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
People who complain about “muh rights and freedoms” are intellectually immature.

Rights and freedoms are not unbound, every single one of them has their limits. What’s more is that countries need to balance individual rights vs collective rights. In a public health crisis, collective rights Trump individual rights to a certain extent.

This is the sacrifices you need to make when living in a society. Every nation has to balance this. There is not a single libertarian nation on the planet with unbound individual rights. It doesn’t exist. It’s very immature and naive to think that it does

I’m curious about how many of those whining about “muh freedoms” in this thread are pro language laws in Quebec because those also trample on individual rights. Language laws, like public safety and health laws decide that a certain aspect of collective rights and freedoms are more important that of individuals.

lastly about the protests.
1. The measures they dislike are mostly provincial, I don’t understand why Trudeau is the target
2. Canada had an election 6 months ago with measures on the ballot. Most Canadians voted for parties that support those measures.
3. The protestors had a not insignificant number wishing to oust the current democratically elected government
4. The protestors were receiving money from foreign actors invested in destabilizing Canada
5. A fragment of the protestor’s leaders suggested that they may have to resort to violence and to declare themselves sovereign citizens and make public arrests
6. The protestors took a city core hostage. They resulted in the shutdown of businesses. People who lived around the protests couldn’t sleep for days. That is not a protest, that is an occupation. When the students protested in Quebec, they didn’t squat for days in a single place. They protested between certain hours and then went home.
7. They harassed and intimidated reporters and locals.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Again, every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada. I'm starting to sound like a broken record when I say other countries' travel policies are irrelevant to the discussion. And no when you can't board a plane or a train in this country, you're not allowed to travel freely. It's unreasonable to expect someone to travel 5k km by car for a trip that would take a few hours by plane. If that's what free travel looks like to you, then I dunno what to tell you.
You do realize that some nations required vaccination to enter their countries even before COVID right?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hey if unreasonable limits on your charter protected rights are the way you want to move forward as a country, by all means.

I still don't get why you bring up other countries' travel policies. Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada. In case it's not clear to you, I'm talking about canadian citizens' rights here. These rights do not extend across the border, so your rambling on about jurisdiction is useless. Again, in case you missed it, I'm talking about canadian citizens' rights. The ones in the Charter. Section 6. Not France, not Germany, Canada.

You should read section 6, especially 6.3.

It's that part most people like you are either unaware of, ignore or deny because it explains why the measures don't actually violate the Chart.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
You should read section 6, especially 6.3.

It's that part most people like you are either unaware of, ignore or deny because it explains why the measures don't actually violate the Chart.

I'm aware of 6.3. Your point?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Wtf is this. Pretty good study in Ottawa. A protest for 3 weeks by a largely unvaccinated group
That resulted in no Covid deaths, interesting, maybe we should move on from this nonsense once and for all.
The good news is that we were already moving on and are continuing to do so. I'm typing this from a breakfast restaurant, had a nice dinner at a restaurant last night, going to the gym later today. Other than January, life has been back to normal for me since last summer.

The passports are being phased out soon, a logical step based on the evolving info. At some point soon all restrictions will disappear because, in the end, neither citizens nor government want them. They're an administrative and fiscal nightmare. The only difference is that some can't see beyond their emotional suspicions that the measures are oppressive, meant to control them, etc. Of course, none of their predictions will come true. In the end, it will have been a lot of yelling and self-righteousness for absolutely nothing.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Are your for real? You didn't even make a point.
You keep talking about rights. Others point out that no actual rights have been violated. You then repeat the claim, as if saying it over and over makes it true.

Here's the straightforward reality: You remain free to do whatever you want. However, like everything in life, there's a limit to where you can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad