OT: Covid-19 (Part 44) Closer Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Spread to whom? By the next school year, the vast majority of adults and vulnerable people will be vaccinated. There will be few people to spread the virus to kids in the first place, and then even if some kids do contract it, they'll have very few unvaccinated people to spread the virus to.

The few people ending up in hospital will almost always be the unvaccinated.

There still needs to be some basic measures to reduce spread in schools because the unvaccinated there are almost all children. In India they are seeing about 1/100 kids hospitalized due to that delta variant, which IMO is bad enough to warrant some measures in place. Simply because otherwise, if one gets it, then the whole class will end up getting it too.

Reactions: Ozmodiar and Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There still needs to be some basic measures to reduce spread in schools because the unvaccinated there are almost all children. In India they are seeing about 1/100 kids hospitalized due to that delta variant, which IMO is bad enough to warrant some measures in place. Simply because otherwise, if one gets it, then the whole class will end up getting it too.
Fair point. Hopefully, wearing a mask will be an easy compromise if it means keeping classes and businesses open.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Fair point. Hopefully, wearing a mask will be an easy compromise if it means keeping classes and businesses open.

I don't think anything drastic is needed as long as it's well organized. I am talking schools only here, so things like contact tracing should be manageable and feasible. No sending your kid to school sick. And of course, if delta never takes hold here because of the collective efforts of those who got vaccinated, then it may not even be needed.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
As I said in the other thread, you also need Covid-19 to enter the school to begin with, which is going to be a lot harder if the school staff and the parents are vaccinated. Children are in close contact with way less strangers than working adults.

Reactions: llamateizer

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- CASES -

Friday, July 2nd: 72
Saturday, July 3rd: 55
Sunday, July 4th: 49

- 1 death

- 8 less hospitalizations (102 total)

- 7 less in ICU (27 total)

- Close to 260K vaccine doses administered.
Total 1st doses: 6.06M
Total 2nd doses: 2.71M

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Starting Thursday, only 4 weeks will be necessary between doses and you'll be able to make appointments on clic santé. Looks like we about sprint to the finish line. I think quebec has like 1.5M doses in stock right now. Time to everyone to get jabbed up so we can go back to normal in August!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
2nd dose: July 2nd
Sore arm: July 3rd-4th
Headache and slight fever: All day July 4th (treated with Tylenol, but reappeared at the end of waiting time in between doses)
Sensitive spot on arm: July 2nd-now

Not too bad.

For me:

1st dose: March 25th
Same day: headache and slightly sore arm.
Next two days: no more sore arm and no more headache.

2nd dose: June 30th
Same day: slight headache but no sore arm.
Next two days: no sore arm, no headache, but fatigue. Just wanted to lie down and do nothing.

No other side effects. No fever, no diarrhea, no nausea or dizziness. So both doses were good for me.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I supposed that won't go well with a couple of people...
Basically, they don't want to have any other lockdown in the future, so if the cases rises in the future, they expect to let everything open but that would beonly fo the vaccinated. Many countries are going that way also.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
@Frozenice I told you.

COVID-19 updates, July 5: No fall lockdown in Quebec, but unvaccinated people might not have access to certain services – Dubé | Montreal Gazette
He indicated that as of the fall, proof of vaccination will be needed to obtain some services.
Dubé warned that cases could rise after the summer, but said the province does not foresee another lockdown.
“We can’t re-confine people after what we have lived through over the past 15, 16 months,” he said.

“We’ll have to make choices and some non-essential services will be available to those who have received both doses. That’s something that we’ll have to explain to people.”

Reactions: MXD and Milhouse40

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
And in case some miss this.... there's a new variant out there.
Lambda....coming from Peru. Highly infectious as Delta, but a with different mutations that seems to escape antibodies.

R.ac9925d94988da8284cdebd4ae64e001

Reactions: dinodebino and MXD

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Will be interesting to see if the recent viewing parties during the Habs home games will lead to a significant increase in cases - especially considering most were in the 18-39 demographics (lower vaccination rates).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Will be interesting to see if the recent viewing parties during the Habs home games will lead to a significant increase in cases - especially considering most were in the 18-39 demographics (lower vaccination rates).

With the low amount of cases and the amount of vaccination, I doubt it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I supposed that won't go well with a couple of people...
Basically, they don't want to have any other lockdown in the future, so if the cases rises in the future, they expect to let everything open but that would beonly fo the vaccinated. Many countries are going that way also.

That's hilarious.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think anything drastic is needed as long as it's well organized. I am talking schools only here, so things like contact tracing should be manageable and feasible. No sending your kid to school sick. And of course, if delta never takes hold here because of the collective efforts of those who got vaccinated, then it may not even be needed.
No way people agree to that here with their fear of big governments.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
First dose : May 7th
- Barely felt it

May 8th, morning
- Some soreness in left arm, gone by late PM

May 9th, from 2PM to 10PM
- Shat my life.

Second dose : July 4h, 6 PM.
- Did hurt significantly more than the first
- Some soreness in the left arm

July 5th, when waking up
- Left arm quite sore
- Felt like I ran 15 km on the 4th (while I ran a bit more than 3)

July 5th, PM
- Left arm getting better (did some reverse flys with 2.5 pounders)
- Felt tired AF
- Slept in the afternoon, just after drinking a cup of coffee.

July 5th, evening
- Went to bed around 9 PM (so yeah, didn't watch the game)

July 6th
- After having Slept 10 1/2 hours, top shape.

Reactions: Native
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad