OT: Covid-19 (Part 43) Let 'em in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
So your theoretical non-vaccinated kids referenced in your post would have to stay permanently on the island or risk getting COVID and even then, when things open up, they would be exposed by visitors/tourists unless you plan on keeping everyone out going forward. Also, kids don't stay kids forever so at some point they will be older and exposed to more serious effects if they have never been vaccinated.
It sounds like you're suffering from 16 months of flattening the curve. That era is over and a new chapter is beginning. As you get less and less cases the medical community will be spending more time on each infected persons contacts and that will lead to less and less spread.
It won't be long before Canada is Covid-free.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
It sounds like you're suffering from 16 months of flattening the curve. That era is over and a new chapter is beginning. As you get less and less cases the medical community will be spending more time on each infected persons contacts and that will lead to less and less spread.

We are roughly at the same point as we were last year at the same date for the numbers of daily cases, still went through a 2nd and 3rd wave between then and now, it really doesn't take much to collapse our capacity to do contact tracing properly.

Vaccination is a much better safety net for that "new era".

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
My point was that your anti-vax approach is foolhardy (IMO) even if cases have gone down quite a bit. I hope you are right that Canada will be Covid free soon but I think that falls more under 'wishful thinking' than realistic optimism since so much of the world population hasn't been vaccinated and a virus doesn't care about borders.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I’m not sure if covid-free will happen.

I think it might be more that covid doesn’t fill up our medical system and kill nearly as many people so it’s not really a problem to society, especially those who are vaccinated. At least in the next year.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
My point was that your anti-vax approach is foolhardy (IMO) even if cases have gone down quite a bit. I hope you are right that Canada will be Covid free soon but I think that falls more under 'wishful thinking' than realistic optimism since so much of the world population hasn't been vaccinated and a virus doesn't care about borders.
The school year is done and I expect that by September when school restarts the pandemic will largely be behind us.

If you vaccinate 50% of the people and 10% of the people have had covid the spread will slow down enough to be able to get a handle on it. The testing capability is so good now that once you start eliminating the disease being in the wild, you can then methodically deal with the rest.

We have a border and I imagine you'll either have to be vaccinated or quarantined to enter the country.

All these pandemics pass and this is usually about how long they last.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I’m not sure if covid-free will happen.

I think it might be more that covid doesn’t fill up our medical system and kill nearly as many people so it’s not really a problem to society, especially those who are vaccinated. At least in the next year.
One of the metrics of measurement is how many others does each person that has covid transmit to.
If it is 2:1 or 3:1 in a matter of a couple of months the pandemic will be out of control and that is why we had 'flattening the curve’, to keep it to 1:1, which is basically the same amount of people are infected, not going up or down.
If, with vaccinations and flattening the curve it is only .5:1 in a couple of months the number if infected people will be 25%. Now, with aggressive contact tracing and flooding any outbreak with testing and quarantine orders you can drop it to less then 10% in the same time frame.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
One of the metrics of measurement is how many others does each person that has covid transmit to.
If it is 2:1 or 3:1 in a matter of a couple of months the pandemic will be out of control and that is why we had 'flattening the curve’, to keep it to 1:1, which is basically the same amount of people are infected, not going up or down.
If, with vaccinations and flattening the curve it is only .5:1 in a couple of months the number if infected people will be 25%. Now, with aggressive contact tracing and flooding any outbreak with testing and quarantine orders you can drop it to less then 10% in the same time frame.
Yup this is how I see covid playing out over the next year. There will likely still be the issue of unvaccinated people getting covid for the foreseeable future and they are the kind of people who are less likely to cooperate with contact tracers.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Is 30+ open yet or do I still need to wait for Monday?

it opens on monday. It won't let you
you can try the day earlier.

They generally open for the next group around 5pm the day before (not sure if it's business day or on sunday)

Found an appointment on July 7th :D
almost 2 month inbetween.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- 127 cases

- 0 deaths (+2 from previous dates)

- 3 less hospitalizations (175 total)

- 2 less in ICU (39 total)

- 103K doses administered in total. Close to 98K yesterday over 5K in previous dates.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Canadian border right?

Scheduled to go for training at the end of September in Charlotte, never been so excited to ''travel''
Heard from friends at Global Affairs that they expect the borders to open around July 22nd. Unofficial. They are waiting if the variants go nuts here.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Heard from friends at Global Affairs that they expect the borders to open around July 22nd. Unofficial. They are waiting if the variants go nuts here.

Makes sense. The borders will remain closed until July 21st. So if all goes well, the 22nd should be when they open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan