OT: Covid-19 (Part 43) Let 'em in

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

Money drives all evil. I am seriously considering placing my kids in private school to ensure their health and safety.

Let’s spend money on lawyers to change the Quebec constitution all the while the kids in schools are catching and spreading Covid. This is the government you want in power? (They all suck, just this one happens to be here and doing this)

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Money drives all evil. I am seriously considering placing my kids in private school to ensure their health and safety.

Let’s spend money on lawyers to change the Quebec constitution all the while the kids in schools are catching and spreading Covid. This is the government you want in power? (They all suck, just this one happens to be here and doing this)

My daughter is at a private school. She goes to a Greek school and she learns Greek, French, and English. Same elementary school I went to and it's always been a private school.

But as parents, we asked the questions about ventilation and the school told us that they have ventilation. They also have big windows that can be opened whenever the kids go play outside during break time.

In September, they had a few classes that went into isolation (my daughter's never did). But since then, there has never been any cases or any other classes that needed to go into isolation.

My daughter's class has about 26 students, which we felt was too many kids in one class. But we've seen pictures and videos of when they do activities and teachers' film it and they have spread the desks further apart from each other.

That plays a role in easing my wife's and mine worries.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

Lets spend 10-20 billions $ on a tunnel that no one will use and that no engineer can even back it up in any way. But upgrading the air systems of schools in a global pandemic that is airborne? Nah clearly that's not worth it. And also lets offer barely anything to the healthcare workers that held the province by themselves for over a year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Seems like we are starting to see the effect of vaccines.

Hot take: in 6 weeks covid will be nearly a memory outside of the 2nd vaccine doses.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Seems like we are starting to see the effect of vaccines.

Hot take: in 6 weeks covid will be nearly a memory outside of the 2nd vaccine doses.

I don't think we stop having COVID in the front-burner before 2022. I think the full-scale lockdowns are behind us for good and that going forward, it becomes endemic. That being said, before there's some kind of on-the-shelf treatment to prevent people from getting seriously sick (looks like it's coming soon), I think it keeps being a public health matter.

I think the real test is going to be next fall. There's still the strong possibility a variant escapes immunity in some way, shape or form. It will happen in the foreseeable future, and then, we'll need booster shots. But I don't think the hospitals turn back into warzones anytime soon.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
E2ZznE0WEAUHx4l

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
- 436 new cases

- 10 deaths

- 5 less hospitalizations (394 total)

- 5 less in ICU (96 total)

- Close to 90,500 doses administered. About 86,500 in the last 24 hours and another 4,000 or so that weren't counted previously.

Typical Thursday numbers. Numbers are always higher on Thursday and/or Friday. Week in and week out our two worst days.

Reactions: llamateizer

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't think we stop having COVID in the front-burner before 2022. I think the full-scale lockdowns are behind us for good and that going forward, it becomes endemic. That being said, before there's some kind of on-the-shelf treatment to prevent people from getting seriously sick (looks like it's coming soon), I think it keeps being a public health matter.

I think the real test is going to be next fall. There's still the strong possibility a variant escapes immunity in some way, shape or form. It will happen in the foreseeable future, and then, we'll need booster shots. But I don't think the hospitals turn back into warzones anytime soon.

This invalidates much of your opinion as it is pure speculation.

Look at Israel, Covid seems to ends at 60% vaccine distribution, and we'll have 75%.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
This invalidates much of your opinion as it is pure speculation.

Look at Israel, Covid seems to ends at 60% vaccine distribution, and we'll have 75%.

It's not speculation. Viruses mutate over time. It won't stop mutating anytime soon. Will COVID mutate to the extent vaccines are completely obsolete? I don't think it happens anytime soon. But there's a strong possibility there are mutations at some point in time that causes the virus to surge again to some level, and that justifies a need for a booster shot. That's just how viruses work. That's how the influenza vaccine has to be adapted annually.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It's not speculation. Viruses mutate over time. It won't stop mutating anytime soon. Will COVID mutate to the extent vaccines are completely obsolete? I don't think it happens anytime soon. But there's a strong possibility there are mutations at some point in time that causes the virus to surge again to some level, and that justifies a need for a booster shot. That's just how viruses work. That's how the influenza vaccine has to be adapted annually.

Is the flu vaccine mRNA based? This new vaccine changes the game quite significantly. Given what I have learned from media sources and other posters on here, the way we are protected by an mRNA vaccine appears to be able to adapt to any variant as long as the variant doesn't mutate it's spike protein.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Is the flu vaccine mRNA based? This new vaccine changes the game quite significantly. Given what I have learned from media sources and other posters on here, the way we are protected by an mRNA vaccine appears to be able to adapt to any variant as long as the variant doesn't mutate it's spike protein.

As you said, as long as the variant doesn't mutate its spike protein. Most variants of concerns are variants of concern because there are mutations reported in the spike protein.

Now, like I said, I don't think the vaccine become completely obsolete anytime soon. I think the worst of the crisis is definitely behind us. But I don't think for a second COVID becomes an afterthought anytime soon. It'll be managable. But definitely something we need to consider for the upcoming months.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

The fact that it will mutate in a way that gives it escapes immunity from vaccines is abject speculation. It's a possibility, but it's far from being a "strong possibility".

Don't think you understand as much as you think you do this mutation stuff. It will mutate, it does mutate, but it's guided by errors, not by any kind of central planning. We can't predict how it will evolve, or when, or if (when reduced in small numbers). IE. its likely to evolve towards becoming an extra cold, like every other coronavirus in your life. This pandemic is much like 1890 (Russian-Flu, a Coronavirus), today its a cold (if they confirm the OC43 link).

Also, that's not why the influenza vaccine has to be adapted annually. There are hundreds of influenza viruses, evolving at 10x the rate of Covid, we need a new vaccine yearly because every year we face a new attacker (lots more influenza than coronaviruses that infect us, + faster evolving). Covid is far from being fast enough at evolving to evade us in perpetuity, and it's more likely to be a virus that we can target to extinction with mRNA targeting /local clusters.

Last edited:

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Damn...crazy how we spent half the year in curfew. I would never think it would last this long.

I’m just glad this is over.
Its insane that we had a curfew for 5 months. Feels surreal and it's actually coming to an end.

Now if unvaccinated peeps can take some appointments. Nothing would suck more then quebec delaying reopening because we don't hit the 75% 1 dose in 3 weeks. We better not get stuck at 65-70%...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->