OT: Covid-19 (Part 39) Subject Line Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You guys need to rethink your definition of being healthy, reality is we are a shit load of people - young and old - who are in top shape even though we never set foot in a gym.

we don't have big muscles though, that's why we leave the shoveling to big people like you

I don't have big muscles and I don't go to the gym. I still shovel my driveway and stairs though

:dunno:

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
I haven't cut my hair since December 2019. And I have a extremely thick, curly, voluminous hair. I did shave the sides and back a bit. When I wake up I kind of look like Marge Simpson. It's a legit afro/hightop right now.
I also look like a hobo lol. I've always hated getting a haircut. It's awkward and I never know how to explain what I want. Add the pandemic to this and i just keep pushing back the day I finally go

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I haven't cut my hair since December 2019. And I have a extremely thick, curly, voluminous hair. I did shave the sides and back a bit. When I wake up I kind of look like Marge Simpson. It's a legit afro/hightop right now.

LOL. I cut the entire thing but I can do 90% with a razor and it looks almost as good as a barber because my cut is so basic.

I also look like a hobo lol. I've always hated getting a haircut. It's awkward and I never know how to explain what I want. Add the pandemic to this and i just keep pushing back the day I finally go

Bring a picture of what you want?

Reactions: waffledave

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
How much longer is the government going to take to announce under 60 at high risk?

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
How much longer is the government going to take to announce under 60 at high risk?
From what Arruda said, it seems the Astra suspension and right to refusal is going to push back our timeline. But I think by Mid April the under 60 at risk should get the call.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
From what Arruda said, it seems the Astra suspension and right to refusal is going to push back our timeline. But I think by Mid April the under 60 at risk should get the call.
That’s not good. :(
Hello darkness my old friend...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Access to manufactured goods is essentials. Virtually no one has the skills or the tools to make or repair their own clothes/shoes/furniture/metalwork/etc.

Gyms are useful, gyms are convenient, gyms aren't essentials.
No, it's not. If you're going to be anal about what ''essential'' means, then you can't make exceptions.
If we are going to consider what is ''essential'' as a source of survival, then no, you can survive just fine without Canadian Tire. At most, you can have curbside pick ups. You did not need to have these businesses open to the public as they did.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What you're referring to has nothing to do with the pandemic. Obesity issues are issues APART from the pandemic.
So?

Department stores offering supplies and tools are far more essential than a gym.
Says the guy who hates gyms and doesn't go...interesting.

Again, I don't care if a gym is open but calling it essential is laughable. Your main argument is "people feel like working out more in a gym than at home". Cool, I am more productive in the office than at home, should we send everyone back to work? No...because you can do the job elsewhere. It is not essential that I am at work and it is not essential you are at a gym.
Calling Dollarama essential is also laughable. God forbid I can't buy some paper straws!
Don't send everyone back to work but yes, definitely have offices open for those who need to be in that environment. I mean, that's exactly what they did.
It's not just about gyms, it's every physical health facility/venue, be it ice rinks, ski slopes, trails, pools, gyms, studios.
You can put in stronger measures, but you should not close these unless you're in full lockdown again.
If your argument was to promote physical health 99.9% of people would agree with you. The problem is your version demands one solution in particular that you want, not need. Long term vision? Gyms and the like ARE essential. In terms of a global pandemic? No...not even close.

Okay okay, so basically you're arguing about semantics. Cool.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

We're in a pandemic and talking about it in a thread dedicated to the pandemic. It's relevant?

Says the guy who hates gyms and doesn't go...interesting.

I also didn't go to the hospital or need to but I find that essential. Weird how associating things this way isn't logical.

I haven't been to canadian tire or other department stores either but I still think people need tools.

The only store I've been to apart from a grocery store is Rona because something broke and I needed to fix it.

Calling Dollarama essential is also laughable. God forbid I can't buy some paper straws!
Don't send everyone back to work but yes, definitely have offices open for those who need to be in that environment. I mean, that's exactly what they did.
It's not just about gyms, it's every physical health facility/venue, be it ice rinks, ski slopes, trails, pools, gyms, studios.
You can put in stronger measures, but you should not close these unless you're in full lockdown again.

No, they told a lot of people stay home, office closed.

Again, I don't care if its closed or open but calling it essential doesn't make sense. If you want them open, great. Saying they should be part of a class of essential services though? No. Sorry.

Okay okay, so basically you're arguing about semantics. Cool.

So you agree, gyms are not essential then? If no, its not semantics. In the pandemic gyms are not essential.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

good question,

Conservative and realist numbers
I went with 40k per day (we should increase the numbers)

85+ are done (less than 10k)
80-84 (done March 29th)
75-79 (April 1st)
70-74 (April 7th)
65-69 (April 15th)
60-64 (April 26th)

60-64 is around 560k * 75% target = 420k ~ 11 days

Expect early may (pessimist scenario) for high risk population <60

tableau-suivi-vaccination-groupe-age3.jpg

if you're wondering what is considered as high risk
  • People of any age with chronic medical conditions including:
    • lung disease
    • heart disease
    • hypertension (high blood pressure)
    • diabetes
    • kidney disease
    • liver disease
    • dementia
    • stroke
  • People of any age who are immunocompromised, including those:
    • with an underlying medical condition (e.g., cancer)
    • taking medications that lower the immune system (e.g., chemotherapy)
  • People living with obesity (BMI of 40 or higher).

People who are at risk of more severe disease or outcomes from COVID-19 - Canada.ca

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
No, it's not. If you're going to be anal about what ''essential'' means, then you can't make exceptions.
If we are going to consider what is ''essential'' as a source of survival, then no, you can survive just fine without Canadian Tire. At most, you can have curbside pick ups. You did not need to have these businesses open to the public as they did.

There is no realistic self-reliant alternative to these business.
The handle on my front door broke during the winter, what was I supposed to do? Forge a new one? Not. Happening. While I didn't go to Canadian Tire I absolutely needed a store to sell one to me.

This argument is quickly devolving into "If I can't have my fun, no one can." which is kind of not the point of why some shit are closed and some are not.

Reactions: ECWHSWI

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There is no realistic self-reliant alternative to these business.
The handle on my front door broke during the winter, what was I supposed to do? Forge a new one? Not. Happening. While I didn't go to Canadian Tire I absolutely needed a store to sell one to me.
What would happen if you didn't fix it? You can easily argue this is about convenience, not essential, just as you're doing with the gym. Your life would go on just fine even with a broken handle mate.
This argument is quickly devolving into "If I can't have my fun, no one can." which is kind of not the point of why some shit are closed and some are not.
Nope. People have different priorities, that's all there is to it. I think having any physical health venue is essential as it's how many people get their form of exercising.
I don't think people will see any affect to their health if Canadian Tire is closed.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So you agree, gyms are not essential then? If no, its not semantics. In the pandemic gyms are not essential.
I don't give a crap how you call it.
I think you have grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, and hospitals as the real essential services. That's it.
If you start loosening things to where it includes schools, home improvements and convenience stores, then I think all physical wellness venue should be considered on the same level. Not only is it very good for your physical health, it also improves your mental wellbeing, which is very essential during this f***ing pandemic.
And even more so during winter.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I go cut my hair (or what's left anyway) every 6 weeks or so. Toni is a great man, does a great job, and is funny as hell.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Come on, now! I want the AZ (or the new name it apparently has) I don't care! Give it to me!

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Is it me or is teleworking not enforced anymore? Man, the roads have been busy in Gatineau, and passing by some business buildings, their parking lots are 80% full.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
What would happen if you didn't fix it? You can easily argue this is about convenience, not essential, just as you're doing with the gym. Your life would go on just fine even with a broken handle mate.

Yep... Other than dying from exposure because the door doesn't close anymore and it's freezing outside... Everything would have been peachy in my life.

Nope. People have different priorities, that's all there is to it. I think having any physical health venue is essential as it's how many people get their form of exercising.
I don't think people will see any affect to their health if Canadian Tire is closed.

Plenty of alternative to gyms exist. Hence why it's not essential that's the whole point here.
And last I checked people didn't go to Canadian Tire to chill or as a hobby. They just buy what they need then leave, Canadian Tire being open doesn't change anything for anyone who doesn't need to purchase something from Canadian Tire, you're only supposed to go there if you need something.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yep... Other than dying from exposure because the door doesn't close anymore and it's freezing outside... Everything would have been peachy in my life.
Oh really mate? You'd let yourself die before figuring out a way to close a door would ya?

Plenty of alternative to gyms exist. Hence why it's not essential that's the whole point here.
And last I checked people didn't go to Canadian Tire to chill or as a hobby. They just buy what they need then leave, Canadian Tire being open doesn't change anything for anyone who doesn't need to purchase something from Canadian Tire, you're only supposed to go there if you need something.
Oh how naive...lol. Everything was closed, people were going to Canadian Tire or Reno just to gtfo of their houses.
Heck, I'd go to IGA 3x per week.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Oh really mate? You'd let yourself die before figuring out a way to close a door would ya?

Dude you are literally arguing that I shouldn't have been allowed to buy parts to fix my door, I guess I could have nailed it shut, that would have done it. But why exactly? Oh right, because the gyms were closed and it's unfair.

Oh how naive...lol. Everything was closed, people were going to Canadian Tire or Reno just to gtfo of their houses.
Heck, I'd go to IGA 3x per week.

... And people were specifically asked to no go to the stores for no reason, If they are not mature enough to do that, how are they supposed to be trusted to follow guidelines elsewhere... like the gyms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad