OT: Covid-19 (Part 39) Subject Line Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You can find a dozen other logics for not keeping them open other than "essentialness". It really isn't.

They aren't essential.

I was just reading through these pages, thinking the same thing.

they're most definitely not essential.

Yes, they are. You need to give access to exercise to those who need it.

Exercise is essential. Gyms are not.

Saying a gym is essential for health reasons, to me, is an argument to say that all gyms should be free and run by the government.
The real question isn't whether gyms are essential, but whether there's a valid reason why they should be closed. With proper measures -- no group classes, distance between machines, heat-testing upon entry, sanitizing machines -- I don't see concrete reasons why they should be shut. Plus, gyms are the best ventilated space you'll find. My gym implemented all these measures last year and continues to do so. On what basis should they be punished?

Put aside emotional reactions and ask yourself whether gyms deserved their almost year-long closure. I don't think they did.

Reactions: MasterD

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
waffledave said:
If it is essential then all gyms should be owned and operated by the government and 100% free. I should be able to walk into any gym I want, for free. It makes no sense to pay monthly fees for something that is an essential service we cannot live without. It makes even less sense that if I walk into some random gym, they will not let me use the facilities unless I become a member to that specific gym. Like a public library, if I get a gym card it should apply to every gym, every location, every brand.

And in saying maybe that's how it should be. I don't know if they need to be government owned, but the government could cover the costs for users in one way or another, just like they pay for kids dentists but the dental office is private owned.

And a bunch of things that were deemed essential last spring aren't free - private physiotherapy offices were open, but you need to take an appointment and pay for the services.

Also your example isn't the greatest - I can go to the libraries in my city but not in the one 5 streets down because I'm at the city limits.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The real question isn't whether gyms are essential, but whether there's a valid reason why they should be closed. With proper measures -- no group classes, distance between machines, heat-testing upon entry, sanitizing machines -- I don't see concrete reasons why they should be shut. Plus, gyms are the best ventilated space you'll find. My gym implemented all these measures last year and continues to do so. On what basis should they be punished?

Put aside emotional reactions and ask yourself whether gyms deserved their almost year-long closure. I don't think they did.

That's a fair question. Personally I think way too many things are open given what we have seen regarding how differently and more easily the variants have been spreading elsewhere. That includes gyms. Given the current state of things we need to be MORE careful, not less. There is ample evidence of this happening all over the world right now. But whatever, once again we've decided to roll the dice. :dunno:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
And in saying maybe that's how it should be. I don't know if they need to be government owned, but the government could cover the costs for users in one way or another, just like they pay for kids dentists but the dental office is private owned.

And a bunch of things that were deemed essential last spring aren't free - private physiotherapy offices were open, but you need to take an appointment and pay for the services.

Also your example isn't the greatest - I can go to the libraries in my city but not in the one 5 streets down because I'm at the city limits.

Regarding dental servies, I believe they are essential and should be completely covered under medicare (@Mrb1p touched on this too). Kind of wild to me that it isn't considered the case, especially since regular dental checkups include important cancer screenings, and dental infections can kill you.

For libraries, I think the example holds. They are municipally run, hence why you can go to those in your city. There are provincial library services that everyone in the province has access to as well.

Reactions: Andy

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Ontario added 249 new hospitalization in the last 24 hours. Not trending in the right direction for sure.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Ontario added 249 new hospitalization in the last 24 hours. Not trending in the right direction for sure.

This is 100% expected due to the surging cases and the spread of the variants that we saw ~2 weeks ago.

Scary part is that all the huge jumps in cases since then haven't fully impacted hospitalizations yet. Same thing that happened in Europe, same thing that will happen here if we can't keep it contained.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
My Mother had Moderna vaccinne yesterday. She was very happy. In 3 weeks shes gonna hug me...

Was great to see here
Remember, just because someone has been vaccinated does not mean they can't still get it or spread it to others. Just means there's a great chance they won't die from it.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Remember, just because someone has been vaccinated does not mean they can't still get it or spread it to others. Just means there's a great chance they won't die from it.

There's plenty of evidence it reduces infection and transmission as well.

Still need to be careful though as I asssume his mom received only her first dose.

Vaccines could prevent asymptomatic infection. Here's why that's key to ending the pandemic.
COVID-19 Vaccines May Help Stop Virus Transmission

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I do not care if gyms are open are closed as long as rules are respected. I never even demanded they be closed.

I only responded to the ridiculous claim they are essential. They are not. Putting gyms as essential is a slippery slope because anyone can make a claim X or Y is essential.

Reactions: Andy

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Regarding dental servies, I believe they are essential and should be completely covered under medicare (@Mrb1p touched on this too). Kind of wild to me that it isn't considered the case, especially since regular dental checkups include important cancer screenings, and dental infections can kill you.

For libraries, I think the example holds. They are municipally run, hence why you can go to those in your city. There are provincial library services that everyone in the province has access to as well.
Well make food free too then. Schools and health care isn't free btw, it's all part of taxes.
We are taxed as high as pretty much anywhere in the world and part of that is funneled through for our public health care and education systems.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Legault just literally raised the idea of blocking Ottawa/Gatineau transit. This is very f***ingly dumb.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Legault just literally raised the idea of blocking Ottawa/Gatineau transit. This is very f***ingly dumb.

Yep, but the underlying idea is decent.

"Border vaccination" might be effective here. Ie. immunizing with more priority those with more connections to the outside.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Well make food free too then. Schools and health care isn't free btw, it's all part of taxes.
We are taxed as high as pretty much anywhere in the world and part of that is funneled through for our public health care and education systems.

??? Nothing is free. But essential services are available because we socialize the costs. I think everyone knows this already. When we talk about free government programs, this is implied. And food is "free" to those who have no means. You don't have much selection, but it's there.

I mean I really don't know what you're getting at here. A gym is not an essential service. I don't think you will find many people who will agree with you on that. Not saying they aren't valuable, or important. But they aren't essential services, even if exercise itself is essential to good health.

At the end of the day those in charge need to make decisions based on what should be open, what should be closed, what is risky, what isn't, and weigh all of that stuff.

All things considered, a gym is not going to be considered more important than a school, or a sector of the economy that employs the majority of people who are already hovering the poverty line. It just isn't and it never will be.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Reactions: LyricalLyricist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad