OT: Covid-19 (Part 37) Nights Are Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Like...I'm glad but.. I still cant believe such a restriction lol

I haven't really gone out much in months...

A few days ago for the first time I had to deal with getting home before 8pm.

It's a very interesting feeling, seeing a bunch of people speed home around 7:30pm-7:40pm.. very odd and unnatural feeling.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
This is true, in a sense.

Things will never be the same ever again.

There's gonna be more diseases come 'round in the near future as humans continue to pollute the environment & encroach on wildlife all over the World...hard to feel sorry for a species that is literally causing itself to go extinct...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Most people who die from COVID-19 are 85 years and older.

If you believe the CDC numbers, if you contract the deadly COVID-19 disease, but you are under 70, and 'healthy', your chances of surviving are astronomically high.

Anything can happen, but if we look at the numbers themselves, including the fact that half the people who get it do not show any symptoms, and likely tons more who contracted the virus have NOT tested for it, thus further driving down the death rate... Kris kind of has a point.
and if it doesn, who cares...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

If you believe the CDC numbers, if you contract the deadly COVID-19 disease, but you are under 70, and 'healthy', your chances of surviving are astronomically high.

Anything can happen, but if we look at the numbers themselves, including the fact that half the people who get it do not show any symptoms, and likely tons more who contracted the virus have NOT tested for it, thus further driving down the death rate... Kris kind of has a point.

Paralytic poliomyelitis happens in less than 1% of cases of polio, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to catch it.

Plenty of people with "mild Covid" discover long term issues that last for months if not more. ACE2 is expressed on a shit ton of cells and SARS-CoV-2 can infect a shit ton of them, so body wide issues are often under-diagnosed and may surfaces way later. Even as a young adult, SARS-CoV-2 is not the kind of virus you should underestimate.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Paralytic poliomyelitis happens in less than 1% of cases of polio, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to catch it.

Plenty of people with "mild Covid" discover long term issues that last for months if not more. ACE2 is expressed on a shit ton of cells and SARS-CoV-2 can infect a shit ton of them, so body wide issues are often under-diagnosed and may surfaces way later. Even as a young adult, SARS-CoV-2 is not the kind of virus you should underestimate.
That's right. You don't open the Bell Center and allow 20K people in maskless. There is a lot of middle grounds between that and not even being allowed to see your siblings in the backyard or sit down alone at a coffee shop.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

95% of all that have died in the US are 50 and over, that means that at around 26-27 thousand have died that are not 50 and over.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
95% of all that have died in the US are 50 and over, that means that at around 26-27 thousand have died that are not 50 and over.
That really doesn't say much. How many 50 and under died this year so far vs a normal year? Ths US population is also a very, very sick and fat population. People with diabetes and metabolic syndrome are also at risk, and should takes measures to protect themselves. Doesn't mean healthy and active 45 year olds need a curfew.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
That really doesn't say much. How many 50 and under died this year so far vs a normal year? Ths US population is also a very, very sick and fat population. People with diabetes and metabolic syndrome are also at risk, and should takes measures to protect themselves. Doesn't mean healthy and active 45 year olds need a curfew.

Unfortunately, humans are a selfish species and sometimes need to be protected from themselves...my chances of getting really sick might be low (although I'm at the cusp), but I'd hate to accidentally kill my Mom or my Grandparents (who along with my Mother pretty much raised me & my Brothers and are in their late 80's)...sometimes things suck but are done for the greater good...it's a balance that makes no one happy but it is what it is...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Unfortunately, humans are a selfish species and sometimes need to be protected from themselves...my chances of getting really sick might be low (although I'm at the cusp), but I'd hate to accidentally kill my Mom or my Grandparents (who along with my Mother pretty much raised me & my Brothers and are in their late 80's)...sometimes things suck but are done for the greater good...it's a balance that makes no one happy but it is what it is...

They should be vaccinated though, which diminishes their odds of getting seriously ill significantly.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
They should be vaccinated, and you can skip going to see them. Don't need a curfew or closing restaurants for that.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
They should be vaccinated though, which diminishes their odds of getting seriously ill significantly.

Not in Nova Scotia yet...and it would still be smart for Humanity to take at least some precautions until the vaccines have been in the Public Square for a few years and have been adequately tested...a few "pain in the arse" restrictions aren't going to kill us...Covid (and the next ones on the horizon) will...

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
How is Florida and their maskless society doing?

‘I’d Much Rather Be in Florida’

"The tens of thousands of people who died were in some ways the result of an unspoken grand bargain — the price paid for keeping as many people as possible employed, educated and, some Floridians would argue, sane."

Sounds like they made a real devil's bargain. Wonder how the relatives of the 32,000 who died feel about it, however...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
They should be vaccinated, and you can skip going to see them. Don't need a curfew or closing restaurants for that.

...and that's the problem with Humanity, rather be selfish than safe...for supposedly the Planet's most "evolved" species, we are nowhere near the brightest...

...oh, and I'm sorry you apparently don't like your family...I love mine, thanks...

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not in Nova Scotia yet...and it would still be smart for Humanity to take at least some precautions until the vaccines have been in the Public Square for a few years and have been adequately tested...a few "pain in the arse" restrictions aren't going to kill us...Covid (and the next ones on the horizon) will...

I mean...depends what you mean. I don't mind having to wear a mask, keep some distance from strangers, keep the plexiglass shields between workers/clients, sanitize hands when going inside stores...little things like that.
A curfew? Keeping businesses closed? No gatherings? For years? Hell f***ing no.

As for your situation in Nova Scotia, if you guys aren't vaccinating the 80+ yet, then that's a very different reality than what's happening in Mtl.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
...and that's the problem with Humanity, rather be selfish than safe...for supposedly the Planet's most "evolved" species, we are nowhere near the brightest...

...oh, and I'm sorry you apparently don't like your family...I love mine, thanks...
Goes both ways though. You wanna keep your family safe...that's totally fine and respectable.
Is it respectable to ask the guy who put his life' savings into a business to shutdown, lose his livelihood, go bankrupt, and risk eviction?
You need a balance.

Reactions: cajmonkey

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I mean...depends what you mean. I don't mind having to wear a mask, keep some distance from strangers, keep the plexiglass shields between workers/clients, sanitize hands when going inside stores...little things like that.
A curfew? Keeping businesses closed? No gatherings? For years? Hell f***ing no.

As for your situation in Nova Scotia, if you guys aren't vaccinating the 80+ yet, then that's a very different reality than what's happening in Mtl.

I'm not saying keep everything closed for years, but limit gatherings (masked preferably), slowly expand capacity for gatherings/bars/restaurants/etc...there is a safe way to do this...

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
There's gonna be more diseases come 'round in the near future as humans continue to pollute the environment & encroach on wildlife all over the World...hard to feel sorry for a species that is literally causing itself to go extinct...

I feel sorry for all other species that humans have exterminated. :) What was that pigeon called again - Passenger Pigeon? It is really scary how bad our species have been for the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad