OT: Covid-19 (Part 37) Nights Are Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I mean...depends what you mean. I don't mind having to wear a mask, keep some distance from strangers, keep the plexiglass shields between workers/clients, sanitize hands when going inside stores...little things like that.
A curfew? Keeping businesses closed? No gatherings? For years? Hell f***ing no.

As for your situation in Nova Scotia, if you guys aren't vaccinating the 80+ yet, then that's a very different reality than what's happening in Mtl.

Where does that come from? Even if we were to be super prudent and patient (something we proven time and time again that we are absolutely not) you're looking a 4 months absolute maximum for all the adult population to be eligible for vaccination and "all" the 65+ years old to be -fully- vaccinated on top of it.

Considering how we handled to whole thing from the start, you're most likely looking at weeks of restriction at this point.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That really doesn't say much. How many 50 and under died this year so far vs a normal year? Ths US population is also a very, very sick and fat population. People with diabetes and metabolic syndrome are also at risk, and should takes measures to protect themselves. Doesn't mean healthy and active 45 year olds need a curfew.

334,000 more people died in 2020 compared to 2019 and Dec 2020 was not included so the number should be a bit larger.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Where does that come from? Even if we were to be super prudent and patient (something we proven time and time again that we are absolutely not) you're looking a 4 months absolute maximum for all the adult population to be eligible for vaccination and "all" the 65+ years old to be -fully- vaccinated on top of it.

Considering how we handled to whole thing from the start, you're most likely looking at weeks of restriction at this point.
I was responding to this:
Not in Nova Scotia yet...and it would still be smart for Humanity to take at least some precautions until the vaccines have been in the Public Square for a few years and have been adequately tested...a few "pain in the arse" restrictions aren't going to kill us...Covid (and the next ones on the horizon) will...

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Who cares if it spreads man? The only thing that matters is if it gets to the vulnerable age group, but they've been getting vaccinated for quite some time already.

I agree with you that if you get Covid and have been vaccinated, your symptoms are less. I agree there needs to be some balance, and perhaps curfews are a little much, however, when they were imposed in Quebec, everything had been tried, and still the numbers were going up.

But to say, "who cares if it spreads", that is tone deaf. We are having outbreaks in long term care homes where most/all patients and staff have been vaccinated. The more it spreads, the more people will die, and not just seniors, as others have proven. Also, there will be more variants, the more it spreads.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ere-most-residents-staff-vaccinated-1.5951130

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/new-outbreak-covid-bc-care-home-1.5941508

Targeted closures seems to be working in Ontario.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
ACE2 is expressed on a very wide set of human cells.

SARS-CoV-2 infection as been demonstrated as possible (or actual) in a wide set of human cells.

Long term effects have been shown in many cases, even in mild cases.

Many effects in mild cases are under-diagnosed due to people not receiving full exams. Many of them will only make themselves known in months/years.

Thinking the under 65 can get Covid-19 without a vaccine and it doesn't matter is not the way to go.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gocha. In any case, restrictions on individual will be lifted soon. But public restrictions are likely to stick around for awhile after that (ie: mask in public space, etc.)
Agreed. I'm fine with that. I think they'll start being a lot more lax in April.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I just read about what is happening in Brazil and I am floored. That country is on the verge of collapse. Their variant is completely out of control and their government seems to be hell-bent on exterminating a chuck of the population. This thing will have global consequences if it is allowed to spread. It is borderline a whole new virus.

100% Brazil needs urgent international help. I'm talking intervention.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree with you that if you get Covid and have been vaccinated, your symptoms are less. I agree there needs to be some balance, and perhaps curfews are a little much, however, when they were imposed in Quebec, everything had been tried, and still the numbers were going up.

But to say, "who cares if it spreads", that is tone deaf. We are having outbreaks in long term care homes where most/all patients and staff have been vaccinated. The more it spreads, the more people will die, and not just seniors, as others have proven. Also, there will be more variants, the more it spreads.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ere-most-residents-staff-vaccinated-1.5951130

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/new-outbreak-covid-bc-care-home-1.5941508

Targeted closures seems to be working in Ontario.

Did you read your links?
''Last week, 11 residents and two employees had tested positive, but the health authority says the new cases announced Monday do not represent a single day spike in cases.
"Interior Health conducted broad surveillance testing late last week on asymptomatic residents and residents with mild symptoms," it stated in a release. "As expected, positive results trickled in starting late Friday since our last report."

And...

"This serves to remind us that, while we are confident vaccine is very effective and prevents severe illness and death, it doesn't necessarily mean that all transmission will be stopped."

Again. If people get it but are asymptomatic or mild symptoms, it's fine. The objective here isn't to stop the risk of transmission, it's impossible. What matters is to greatly reduce the risk of serious illnesses, and that is what's currently being accomplished.
We know the vaccines, whether for one or two doses, significantly reduce the risk of a serious infection.
There are studies from all over the world proving this already.

Can an elderly person still get it and fall seriously ill? Of course. But the risk of transmission is also drastically diminished so...it's no different than risking catching other viruses.

Keep some of the measures in place and let the elderly decide for themselves if they want to go hug their grandkids.
You can't keep a curfew, prevent people from seeing each other, and have businesses closed once proven to be effective vaccines have already taken affect on the vulnerable.
We started the roll out of 65+ last week, it'll take 2 weeks for the full effects, they will keep relaxing on measures as we move in april.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I just read about what is happening in Brazil and I am floored. That country is on the verge of collapse. Their variant is completely out of control and their government seems to be hell-bent on exterminating a chuck of the population. This thing will have global consequences if it is allowed to spread. It is borderline a whole new virus.

100% Brazil needs urgent international help. I'm talking intervention.

The Brazil variant is similar to the SA variant which is mostly taken care of by the current vaccines.

It's nowhere near a new virus.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Did you read your links?
''Last week, 11 residents and two employees had tested positive, but the health authority says the new cases announced Monday do not represent a single day spike in cases.
"Interior Health conducted broad surveillance testing late last week on asymptomatic residents and residents with mild symptoms," it stated in a release. "As expected, positive results trickled in starting late Friday since our last report."

And...

"This serves to remind us that, while we are confident vaccine is very effective and prevents severe illness and death, it doesn't necessarily mean that all transmission will be stopped."

Again. If people get it but are asymptomatic or mild symptoms, it's fine. The objective here isn't to stop the risk of transmission, it's impossible. What matters is to greatly reduce the risk of serious illnesses, and that is what's currently being accomplished.
We know the vaccines, whether for one or two doses, significantly reduce the risk of a serious infection.
There are studies from all over the world proving this already.

Can an elderly person still get it and fall seriously ill? Of course. But the risk of transmission is also drastically diminished so...it's no different than risking catching other viruses.

Keep some of the measures in place and let the elderly decide for themselves if they want to go hug their grandkids.
You can't keep a curfew, prevent people from seeing each other, and have businesses closed once proven to be effective vaccines have already taken affect on the vulnerable.
We started the roll out of 65+ last week, it'll take 2 weeks for the full effects, they will keep relaxing on measures as we move in april.

You are the kind of people that need to watch something like this:

Diminishing the impact of a disease is never ok. We are only starting to se the impact of SARS-CoV-2. With how much spread it's potential effect is, I doubt it is the last we hear of it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The Brazil variant is similar to the SA variant which is mostly taken care of by the current vaccines.

It's nowhere near a new virus.

It has a high reinfection rate and spreads much faster. The vaccines perform poorest against this variant compared to all the others. I thought COVID has an almost nonexistent reinfection rate? This is rather different. Risk of reinfection is estimated as high as 80%.

The state of the country is so bad that their vaccine distribution is at risk, so the point is moot. Their hospitals are on the verge of collapse.

Not to mention their government is silencing scientists and doctors like China was.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It has a high reinfection rate and spreads much faster. The vaccines perform poorest against this variant compared to all the others. I thought COVID has an almost nonexistent reinfection rate? This is rather different.

The state of the country is so bad that their vaccine distribution is at risk, so the point is moot. Their hospitals are on the verge of collapse.

Not to mention their government is silencing scientists and doctors like China was.

It's pretty similar to the SA variant, for which the Pfizer/Moderna/J&J have shown a significant efficacy.

AZ and natural infection? Not so much.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It's pretty similar to the SA variant, for which the Pfizer/Moderna/J&J have shown a significant efficacy.

AZ and natural infection? Not so much.

I fear the situation in Brazil is far worse than is known. They are covering things up and allowing the virus to spread unchecked. Most of their ICUs are at capacity. Like, 95- 99% full. It's a mess. I am talking to my former coworker who lives there. It's boiling over there.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I fear the situation in Brazil is far worse than is known. They are covering things up and allowing the virus to spread unchecked. Most of their ICUs are at capacity. Like, 95- 99% full. It's a mess. I am talking to my former coworker who lives there. It's boiling over there.

Still not worried for Canada . Brazil has a very low % of vaccinated people in a country where the natural immunity resistant variants are in full force.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Diminishing the impact of a disease is never ok. We are only starting to se the impact of SARS-CoV-2. With how much spread it's potential effect is, I doubt it is the last we hear of it.

While the clip is about polio the man who has it is an inspiration. What a boss. To be successful and keep pushing.

Reactions: schnapshot

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
While the clip is about polio the man who has it is an inspiration. What a boss. To be successful and keep pushing.

Paralytic polio is also a rare complication of polio that increase with age. I was using it to make a parallel as a disease that is otherwise relatively mild for the majority.

I am pretty confident we will see new issues appearing for years in Covid-19 patients, even some mild cases. While it may not be as immediate as polio, I wouldn't be surprised to see young people who got infected with covid19 getting bit back in a few years.

rockey

Aug 12, 2018
Well 200+ million people still live there. I am worried for the people of Brazil.

Brazilian here. It's definitely out of control, specially because of lack of commandment from president and absolute nonsense of big part of population. 300 parties are still common there :( But I don't think that the problem it's related to the new variant (yet).

There was never a lockdown there and even now when they are more strict they are talking about closing stuff for a couple weeks. Situation in hospitals is chaotic tough. I received some messages from some doctor friends and they mention that health system is in collapse in my origin city. One of my grandma's got it and they don't have more ICU spots in the hospital she is. For vaccination, it's on a smaller pace than here, but not so different on population percentage.

The thing is that it's too difficult to compare their culture with Canadian's. Sometimes I feel that just don't f***ing care - even a big part of my relatives. There still a lot of conversation going one about chloroquine, if virus is lethal or not and if they should save the economy.

It's a bit surreal there and although I couldn't go to my other grandma's 100 year old party and my mom can't get here because of flights suspension, I can't help but approve this travel ban mesures before they get their stuff going

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
...and that's the problem with Humanity, rather be selfish than safe...for supposedly the Planet's most "evolved" species, we are nowhere near the brightest...

...oh, and I'm sorry you apparently don't like your family...I love mine, thanks...
False argument. I want to see my family as much as anyone, but I can't because they're at risk. I ALREADY CAN'T SEE THEM. Wouldn't change a thing regarding them if we're allowed going to restaurants or lift the curfew while being asked to stay away from my family until they get the shot.

Reactions: cajmonkey

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

It doesn't affect anything I said mate. You can reopen and be careful.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Paralytic polio is also a rare complication of polio that increase with age. I was using it to make a parallel as a disease that is otherwise relatively mild for the majority.

I am pretty confident we will see new issues appearing for years in Covid-19 patients, even some mild cases. While it may not be as immediate as polio, I wouldn't be surprised to see young people who got infected with covid19 getting bit back in a few years.
And I wouldn't be surprised if more advanced were made regarding vaccines or medication that helped those people.
There's being cautious, there's being overly alarming.

Reactions: cajmonkey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad