OT: Covid-19 (Part 36) Closing Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
We're gonna go back into a lockdown in around march probably..and then maybe start reopening in May like last year.
I'm pretty sure you're right about that, yes. Like all other respiratory viruses, contagion will die down as spring and summer roll in.

Between now and then, though, no clue what our government will decide. Very unpredictable so far.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'm pretty sure you're right about that, yes. Like all other respiratory viruses, contagion will die down as spring and summer roll in.

Between now and then, though, no clue what our government will decide. Very unpredictable so far.

I'm casually hoping that vaccinations, even in limited numbers, will make a big difference from April on.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Surgical masks literally say on the box... does not protect against virus.

Why.. just why, are we still recommending them?

I can breathe super easily with a surgical mask, and have trouble breathing thru my own mask with filter... doesn't take a genius to figure it out

Seems like it does take a genius as you don't understand what they are recommended for.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm casually hoping that vaccinations, even in limited numbers, will make a big difference from April on.
A lot of people were vaccinated for no reason due to delays. Their dose was wasted as the second won't get here on time for them. So they'll have to go through it again from what I understood.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
A lot of people were vaccinated for no reason due to delays. Their dose was wasted as the second won't get here on time for them. So they'll have to go through it again from what I understood.

Don't think we know that, there is no clinical trial done on the subject yet.

I'm kinda positive that won't be the case.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Don't think we know that, there is no clinical trial done on the subject yet.

I'm kinda positive that won't be the case.

Just telling you what my doctor and head nurse friends told me. They'll have to be readministered 2 doses, so they've wasted a lot of first ones on their staffs and themselves.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

It may just be health authorities and governments covering their asses, but I have been seeing more and more that they think it is actually BETTER to space out the doses more than the 2 weeks initially intended. The reason they recommended 2 week is simply because that's what they tested in the trials, so that's what they know. But they are now saying that immune responses may actually be better if the vaccine doses are spaced even a few months apart. Like I said, might be BS from governments who can't handle distribution on such a tight schedule but who knows.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Just telling you what my doctor and head nurse friends told me. They'll have to be readministered 2 doses, so they've wasted a lot of first ones on their staffs and themselves.

Your doctor and head nurse friend are getting ahead of themselves. There is no data on whether they will have to repeat the two doses or not.

I'm in the "get the two doses in the tested timeframe" camp, but we don't have any strong data yet to confirm the doses are wasted. It could have an impact on the strength and duration of the immune response, but again, no strong data on that either.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Your doctor and head nurse friend are getting ahead of themselves. There is no data on whether they will have to repeat the two doses or not.

I'm in the "get the two doses in the tested timeframe" camp, but we don't have any strong data yet to confirm the doses are wasted. It could have an impact on the strength and duration of the immune response, but again, no strong data on that either.
Theyre going by what the situation is today. If no data comes out proving a first dose can still be effective combined with a 2nd one 2 months later then they'll just take two.
But if nothing comes out, then they'll have to take two.
So right now when calculating doses, they're doing it as if they'll need 2.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I think doctors/nurses are ethically bound to tell you what to expect (and it is the correct behaviour). I think they are right but they are not saying one thing: that 3rd dose will be a variant booster. Ie. it doesn't mean that 1st dose were a waste, don't think we know that yet.

Ie. most of the population will need either 3 doses (if they started early) or 2 doses of multivalent vaccines (upcoming)

Plus I fully expect newer multivalent vaccines by 2022, that we should all get.

The vaccination process will take at least 2 years and then we'll see if we've dealt with it or if we'll need yearly vaccines (like the Flu) - I am expecting that we'll deal with it as coronaviruses are generally not escape-artists.

We are just playing catch up to the virus at this point, but we'll soon get "ahead"of it (I don't mean literally ahead, I mean vaccines available at scale, in times to catch waves).

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Theyre going by what the situation is today. If no data comes out proving a first dose can still be effective combined with a 2nd one 2 months later then they'll just take two.
But if nothing comes out, then they'll have to take two.
So right now when calculating doses, they're doing it as if they'll need 2.

It won't matter by the end of the summer, we'll have 3 vaccines per citizen in stock.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It won't matter by the end of the summer, we'll have 3 vaccines per citizen in stock.
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not putting any hope on vaccines as I have before and was let down, so whenever we do start rolling out shots in masses, then I'll believe it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think doctors/nurses are ethically bound to tell you what to expect (and it is the correct behaviour). I think they are right but they are not saying one thing: that 3rd dose will be a variant booster. Ie. it doesn't mean that 1st dose were a waste, don't think we know that yet.

Ie. most of the population will need either 3 doses (if they started early) or 2 doses of multivalent vaccines (upcoming)

Plus I fully expect newer multivalent vaccines by 2022, that we should all get.

ie. The vaccination process will take at least 2 years and then we'll see if we've dealt with it or if we'll need yearly vaccines (like the Flu) - I am expecting that we'll deal with it as coronaviruses are generally not escape-artists.
Those are close friends, they're not telling me anything because of ethics.
They're going by what they currently know. The point isn't that a 3rd dose serves as a booster, it's that they're given priority so that first vaccine comes as a waste in the sense it would have otherwise been administered to someone else.
It's a lack of preparation and organization.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It may just be health authorities and governments covering their asses, but I have been seeing more and more that they think it is actually BETTER to space out the doses more than the 2 weeks initially intended. The reason they recommended 2 week is simply because that's what they tested in the trials, so that's what they know. But they are now saying that immune responses may actually be better if the vaccine doses are spaced even a few months apart. Like I said, might be BS from governments who can't handle distribution on such a tight schedule but who knows.
Wasn't the second dose initially supposed to be after 21 days, not 14? I know because of shortages they had to wait for 28 days at times here.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Surprise Suprise. Cases are slowly climbing again and curfew will be extended into March. I guess I shouldn't expect to go back to work before May lol.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Surprise Suprise. Cases are slowly climbing again and curfew will be extended into March. I guess I shouldn't expect to go back to work before May lol.

technically they are still lower then they were exactly 2 weeks ago. However, I have spoken with 3 people that I work with (my sub trades) that have been infected or their significant other has and they are now quarantined. I pray that we vaccinated the right people and that keeps them out of hospitals. I feel we may end up like the US, that everything will open to a certain degree because unlike the US we are controlling the cases in hospitals.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
technically they are still lower then they were exactly 2 weeks ago. However, I have spoken with 3 people that I work with (my sub trades) that have been infected or their significant other has and they are now quarantined. I pray that we vaccinated the right people and that keeps them out of hospitals. I feel we may end up like the US, that everything will open to a certain degree because unlike the US we are controlling the cases in hospitals.
They're also testing less...
Theyre now closing schools, heck, just one school had about 40 cases...those kids don't live alone.
By the end of the month, we will likely be spiking again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad