MTL

Curfew time,
Time for you to stay home and root for your favorite team
Curfew time,
Thank god for this forum as it allows us all to let off some steam
Can't try pants nor a jacket
At the nearby market
Can't meet my nephews or friends
Covid time, let's keep our heads up and enjoy all the little things in life, yeah

I know what I don't want to take with me home
No covid hooomeee

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Aside from many of us predicting last summer that opening schools would trigger the next surge, I specifically mentioned something this Université de Montréal study focuses on: Ventilation in classrooms. They're installing air purifiers in some schools, which is a good idea, even if it took them five months to do it! I'm very interested to see the data over the next month or so.

Six months ago I suggested using air humidifiers, which make air molecules heavier and less likely to travel distances. Some combination of that, plus open windows (and block heaters to counteract the chill), could've significantly reduced transmission in classroom had the government acted intelligently and proactively.

Reactions: Runner77 and Le CH

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No covid hooomeee
When this damn thing is finally done, I should string together every song from every Covid thread to tell the musical story.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Aside from many of us predicting last summer that opening schools would trigger the next surge, I specifically mentioned something this Université de Montréal study focuses on: Ventilation in classrooms. They're installing air purifiers in some schools, which is a good idea, even if it took them five months to do it! I'm very interested to see the data over the next month or so.

Six months ago I suggested using air humidifiers, which make air molecules heavier and less likely to travel distances. Some combination of that, plus open windows (and block heaters to counteract the chill), could've significantly reduced transmission in classroom had the government acted intelligently and proactively.
Frustrating part is apparently school boards are the ones deciding whether or not to add in air purifiers.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Frustrating part is apparently school boards are the ones deciding whether or not to add in air purifiers.
The reaction to my suggestion for humidifiers/ventilation upgrades was that it would be too expensive for gov't to finance. Meanwhile, the cost of supporting closed businesses, loss of GST, healthcare, etc. is way beyond what it would've cost to supply classrooms with stuff you can get at Canadian Tire.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The reaction to my suggestion for humidifiers/ventilation upgrades was that it would be too expensive for gov't to finance. Meanwhile, the cost of supporting closed businesses, loss of GST, healthcare, etc. is way beyond what it would've cost to supply classrooms with stuff you can get at Canadian Tire.
No doubt about it. There's been some really head scratching decisions taken by the government.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Weren't we worst off during the first wave?

yes, we reached 1.8k
however, it was in the spring. There is higher hospitalization in winter, so less available beds.

The SPVM doing SPVM things... I have no problems with them handing out fines when its warranted but lets not use the curfew to harass people.

Montreal evening-shift workers slapped with curfew fines despite authorization letters | CTV News

Having the papers doesn't allow you to wander or gather.
I'd like to hear the whole story.

If it's true, it's bad judgement from the cops.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
yes, we reached 1.8k
however, it was in the spring. There is higher hospitalization in winter, so less available beds.

The story indicates they were at a bus stop. Who knows?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
yes, we reached 1.8k
In normal times. Some of these are other viruses like cold and flu but seeing how everyone is staying in, gathering way way way less than usual, and whenever they are out it's with a mask and distancing...I assume there's a lot less cases from these viruses.
How do Nov-Dec hospitalizations in 2020 compare to 2019?

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
In normal times. Some of these are other viruses like cold and flu but seeing how everyone is staying in, gathering way way way less than usual, and whenever they are out it's with a mask and distancing...I assume there's a lot less cases from these viruses.
How do Nov-Dec hospitalizations in 2020 compare to 2019?

I'm not sure about what the numbers represents.

https://publications.msss.gouv.qc.ca/msss/fichiers/flashGrippe/FlashGrippe_vol10_no5.pdf
19 au 25 janvier 2020
6.2% of total consulations (3436 consultations) with fever/cough
2.59% of total consultations diagnosed with flu diagnostic (1446)

"Au cours de la dernière semaine, 7,1 % des patients ont été admis dans un hôpital du Québec après un diagnostic clinique de pneumonie ou de grippe. Il s’agit d’une diminution par rapport à la semaine passée (8,1%)."

7.1% of 1446? or 7% of all hospitalizations.

Suivi de l'activité grippale - Grippe - Professionnels de la santé - MSSS

as for the flu. When Arruda said that influenza is eradicated

upload_2021-1-13_13-19-6.png

2020 vs 2019

upload_2021-1-13_13-19-37.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

How is that possible? Ventilation ought to be part of a province-wide Covid offensive. You don’t leave that to people who may have far narrower interests.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
yes, we reached 1.8k

I agree, it would require the full story to draw a final conclusion...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Won’t those new ventilation systems also help avert future contaminations due to other viruses? It’s a long term investment on something that has been severely neglected.

Reactions: Lshap

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
How is that possible? Ventilation ought to be part of a province-wide Covid offensive. You don’t leave that to people who may have far narrower interests.
Apparently public health stated there is no proof linking air purifiers to reducing viral loads or something like that, according to an article I read. Some school boards still went forward with it and are asking reimbursement from government.

I have a few teacher friends, from what I heard, they've had very little support and planning. A lot of freestyling and ''you guys figure it out'' attitude.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad