OT: Covid-19 (Part 31) Alone Again... (Warning post#787)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Oy. Hopefully it levels off soon. Just think -- once you're recovered you officially earn your immunity badge!

Makes me want to revisit getting the antibody test. Pretty sure I got it at the beginning of March, but it came and went and was forgotten about.

Temporary immunity badge*.

I was told once you get it and recover you're unlikely to get it again for 3 months. This is from whoever called me from the government.

Reactions: dinodebino

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
At this point I'm taking the usual precautions (wearing a mask, only inviting my girlfriend at my place and nobody else, cleaning items I bring back home) but other than that I'll let the dominoes fall where they may. If I catch it, I catch it.

I've been pretty good at "pulling my weight" in terms of precautions since March, but there's a limit. I cannot do more than that, psychologically. I'm a solitary person by nature, and even I got fed up of not going to stores in person somewhere around this summer and I kept the habit of going since then. No way I'm coming back to my level of precautions from March-June.

That said on my street alone I saw a lot of partying; many just don't care. They're the ones spreading this disease; not me because I forgot to clean my Ketchup bottle last Thursday out of psychological fatigue.

Last edited:

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
2Pierrots, the Montreal bar that has been home to late night drinks and dancing for 46 years, is closing.
The announcement was made by Marilous Sciascia Ruel, the bar's owner and daughter of its founder, on the Old Montreal bar's Facebook page.
“It is with sadness and nostalgia that I announce that a page of a wonderful story is turning too quickly,” she wrote. “A story of more than 46 years, all in song, full of emotions.”
In May, Jean-Marc Lavoie, who manages 2Pierrots along with Sciascia Ruel, participated in a demonstration demanding answers from the government on when bars could re-open. While restaurants and bars in Quebec's red zones were able to re-open during the summer, they have been shut down again since the beginning of October due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Old Montreal venue 2Pierrots to close permanently after 46 years

Official : positive.
Take care, I hope you're not too sick. Time to get some rest and you'll get better soon!

Reactions: Electricity

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Where do you think this is going? We'll see, but I was expecting our cases to start rising.....like it did everywhere else.
I just hope it won't explode like in the US, France or Italy.

You have think about the economy also in this....that's why they won't shut down everything.
As I said, shut it all off or don't. Pick one. Legault said after declaring Mtl as a red zone area that we would have to see a steady decline with daily cases around 600 for a week before getting back in orange.
So their strategy to target the smaller industries to accomplish this was a massive failure.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
As I said, shut it all off or don't. Pick one. Legault said after declaring Mtl as a red zone area that we would have to see a steady decline with daily cases around 600 for a week before getting back in orange.
So their strategy to target the smaller industries to accomplish this was a massive failure.

So when you say this its all or nothing?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well there's a reason some things are open and will remain open.

Closing businesses means people don't get paid(at least not in full).

You not going to your friend's isn't quite the same.

That said there's a lot of things they'll need to tweak to make this work. The current approach is not working so they need to really drop people down to the bare essentials for the economy and basic needs.

It's not so much about closing businesses, it's about properly targeting the issues.
Don't want people to get unemployed again, well keep things open. Clearly restaurants and gyms weren't a big cause for concern. Closing them crushed their industry.
Even if they reopen gyms tomorrow, you still have so many people who are too scared to go back. Government killed that industry. Same with the movie theatres I assume, I don't know a single person who went to the movies since March, not sure how long before Guzzo declares bankruptcy but I imagine it's inevitable.
Why did they even close those, there's been zero case coming from a Guzzo theatre, it's so weird.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So I just got back from the Dominican, getting out the airport was a breeze and the only thing they really do is just tell you gotta quarantine for 14 days and make you fill up a form. I'm curious to see if they call me in the next couple days. The airport was completely empty when we landed. Never seen that in my life. Barely took 30 mins to get out.

I'm not surprised that the airport was empty.

I didn't realize people were actually flying for leisure -- I thought those who did, were compelled because of business, not losing their jobs or something like that. Just the thought of spending time in an aircraft would dissuade me but maybe it's safer than it looks, I don't know.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It's not so much about closing businesses, it's about properly targeting the issues.
Don't want people to get unemployed again, well keep things open. Clearly restaurants and gyms weren't a big cause for concern. Closing them crushed their industry.
Even if they reopen gyms tomorrow, you still have so many people who are too scared to go back. Government killed that industry. Same with the movie theatres I assume, I don't know a single person who went to the movies since March, not sure how long before Guzzo declares bankruptcy but I imagine it's inevitable.
Why did they even close those, there's been zero case coming from a Guzzo theatre, it's so weird.

not sure why they haven’t been given the chance to adapt. A movie theatre with online reservations and seat selection, this solution is incredible easy to do.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So when you say this its all or nothing?
If they're not going to accept living with the virus, then ya...shut it all down, like we did before.
Ideally though, you stick with it, penalize the businesses that aren't following measures, and only address the big outbreaks. You have 6 cases coming from that gym? Okay, well, shutdown that business for two weeks, or more if they were negligent.

Schools are obviously a problem. Pretending like they're not isn't helping.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
not sure why they haven’t been given the chance to adapt. A movie theatre with online reservations and seat selection, this solution is incredible easy to do.

Yup, and they can easily control the distancing too. Probably why there were no cases to come out of theatres this summer.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Its logical however. In a closed room for 2-3 hours with people stationary seems obvious.

That said, what are the right businesses to target in your opinion?

If they're not going to accept living with the virus, then ya...shut it all down, like we did before.
Ideally though, you stick with it, penalize the businesses that aren't following measures, and only address the big outbreaks. You have 6 cases coming from that gym? Okay, well, shutdown that business for two weeks, or more if they were negligent.

Schools are obviously a problem. Pretending like they're not isn't helping.

I don't think this will work. If they shut it all down there will be nothing to go back to once the virus is over.

The economy is at a very dangerous point IMO. You can't shut it down again.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
Is it really unbelievable? Talk to a lot of these people, you will notice that they're willing to take the chances and everybody they meet understands this. When my mom gives a hug to her grandson, she understands there's always a risk he has it, she knows he sees his friends, etc, and she knows she could give it to my father after if she were to get it, or me.

I'm sure there are some super careless/selfish people who act like this virus doesn't exist but most people are just fed up and they're fine with taking a risk.

Grandma's super selfish. And deadly. You think grandkid would freak out and be forever stunted without grandparent hugs? No, they wouldn't.

Being "fed up" is not a good excuse. It's weak. And deadly.
"Taking chances" is incredibly selfish. It's not yourself that's taking the chance, it's you taking the chance that you won't infect a stranger. F*ck that.

Most people are stupid, selfish, and/or weak. And most are loathe to admit any of it, because the truth hurts. Unfortunately it doesn't hurt as much as giving someone covid, and the people that kill someone by passing the virus around because they need hugs will never know they've done it. So it's very easy for them to take that chance lol.

Being tired of covid-19 is not a f*cking excuse. Wear a mask, social distance, suck it up and come to grips with the fact that life is not what it used to be.

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
Thats what cinemas did here in Montreal when they reopened.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Yup, and they can easily control the distancing too. Probably why there were no cases to come out of theatres this summer.

I was taking a sunday class in data analysis in June. A classmate of mine suggested our project be about how you use data to create reservation systems.

At the time it was kind of shrugged off as people too short term but now...now its evident this will go on for years(to different degrees).

Online reservation systems and smaller functions are key.

They already work for restaurants and they can be used to manage capacity at a gym, store and other areas.

It also gives contact tracing benefits.

Waiting for a vaccine is good but it will be a while, they need to adapt to the new normal.

Another thing I think what is important in this new way of living is to not forget local businesses. Any way to promote and keep running local businesses in a safe manner is ideal.

These days people are buying stuff online from amazon and others which just kills local businesses more. Strong consideration has to be made to invest in online systems for small businesses in our area.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Grandma's super selfish. And deadly. You think grandkid would freak out and be forever stunted without grandparent hugs? No, they wouldn't.

"Taking chances" is incredibly selfish. It's not yourself that's taking the chance, it's you taking the chance that you won't infect a stranger. F*ck that.

Most people are stupid, selfish, and/or weak. And most are loathe to admit any of it, because the truth hurts. Unfortunately it doesn't hurt as much as giving someone covid, and the people that kill someone by passing the virus around because they need hugs will never know they've done it. So it's very easy for them to take that chance lol.

Being tired of covid-19 is not a f*cking excuse. Wear a mask, social distance, suck it up and come to grips with the fact that life is not what it used to be.

I do agree with Kriss in saying that people are tiring of restrictions. It is normal, we are all human.

I think the divide is people making a huge leap.

Sneaking out to see a friend because you're lonely is one thing. Going to a party is another.

A little common sense is encouraged.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
I do agree with Kriss in saying that people are tiring of restrictions. It is normal, we are all human.

I think the divide is people making a huge leap.

Sneaking out to see a friend because you're lonely is one thing. Going to a party is another.

A little common sense is encouraged.

Common sense would be fine if most people had it. But most people are stupid, selfish, and/or weak. And people need to figure out which ones they are lol.

There is no common sense about covid, there's science.

Wear a mask, social distance, suck it up and come to grips with the fact that life is not what it used to be.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Its logical however. In a closed room for 2-3 hours with people stationary seems obvious.

That said, what are the right businesses to target in your opinion?
Yes well that's why you don't just base the decision on logic.

I would allow small gatherings of 4-5 and I wouldn't close anything, not even nightclubs. The capacity of your club will be very limited and your hours will be very reduced but I wouldn't close them.
Gyms wanna open up? Fine. Reduced capacity, operate on an appointment basis.
Bars close at 10/11 pm on a 4 day schedule only.

These are the type of measures I'd prefer seeing.

If you're not going that route well then follow Australia, shut it all off until you get the numbers down again.

I don't think this will work. If they shut it all down there will be nothing to go back to once the virus is over.

The economy is at a very dangerous point IMO. You can't shut it down again.

Well then leave things open and target the individual businesses that have cases, you don't need to shutdown an entire industry.
I understood it the first time around, we didn't know enough about the virus but now we do and are better prepared.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013

My goodness. Who died and made you the arbiter of everybody's choices?

If 'grandma' wants to take the risk of hugging her grandkids it's her choice to make. Her risk from SARS-Cov-2 is exponentially greater than her grandchild's.

If grandma & grandpa want to go out to Wal-Mart or McDonald's instead of cowering in fear & isolation in their homes it's their choice. I see them out there every day enjoying themselves. They're competent to make their own decisions.

Why do you want to condemn elderly folks to misery and solitude in their final years?

Life is what you make it. If you don't want to "take chances" fine, spend your life hiding in the basement. I think most people are perfectly able to judge the risks they want to take, and act accordingly. We need to stop with the ridiculous moralizing that we know what's better for them than they do themselves.

Reactions: Magic Stick

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I mean that's great buddy but unfortunately you need to understand the world you live in.
Call them selfish, stupid, weak, all you want, that's not going to change the people's behavior.
My parent's sole purpose in life right now is to see and spend as much time with their grandchildren. Remove that from them and they have very little to live for. So, you can name them whatever you want, say the kids will be fine, etc, nothing is going to change what matters most to them.

That's just not true anymore. I'm not seeing any strangers. Who will I infect? The cashier at the grocery?? Or the guy waiting in line at the drug store?? We are all wearing masks and keep social distances, so..really...what are the odds I would actually infect him?
I know people who even had to quarantine together for 14 days yet only one of them caught the virus throughout.
So this rhetoric about infecting strangers just doesn't hold as much power anymore mate.
I think it might be you who needs to come to grasp with reality. Ya, people are stupid, selfish, weak, welcome to the World. Now you can complain and insult those people all day, or you can figure out a better way to control the virus despite these people, because they're not going anywhere either.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
My goodness. Who died and made you the arbiter of everybody's choices?

If 'grandma' wants to take the risk of hugging her grandkids it's her choice to make. Her risk from SARS-Cov-2 is exponentially greater than her grandchild's.

If grandma & grandpa want to go out to Wal-Mart or McDonald's instead of cowering in fear & isolation in their homes it's their choice. I see them out there every day enjoying themselves. They're competent to make their own decisions.

Why do you want to condemn elderly folks to misery and solitude in their final years?

Life is what you make it. If you don't want to "take chances" fine, spend your life hiding in the basement. I think most people are perfectly able to judge the risks they want to take, and act accordingly. We need to stop with the ridiculous moralizing that we know what's better for them than they do themselves.

They're risking others, not themselves.
If your McDonalds-loving grandma gives someone covid who then gives it to my grandma, and then my grandma dies, then your selfish grandma is a killer.

Wear a mask, social distance, suck it up and come to grips that life is not what it used to be. Whether you're a grandma or not.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes well that's why you don't just base the decision on logic.

I would allow small gatherings of 4-5 and I wouldn't close anything, not even nightclubs. The capacity of your club will be very limited and your hours will be very reduced but I wouldn't close them.
Gyms wanna open up? Fine. Reduced capacity, operate on an appointment basis.
Bars close at 10/11 pm on a 4 day schedule only.

These are the type of measures I'd prefer seeing.

If you're not going that route well then follow Australia, shut it all off until you get the numbers down again.

Well then leave things open and target the individual businesses that have cases, you don't need to shutdown an entire industry.
I understood it the first time around, we didn't know enough about the virus but now we do and are better prepared.

you have my name quoted but I never said that. Lol

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
They're risking others, not themselves.
If your McDonalds-loving grandma gives someone covid who then gives it to my grandma, and then my grandma dies, then your selfish grandma is a killer.

Wear a mask, social distance, suck it up and come to grips that life is not what it used to be. Whether you're a grandma or not.
Lol...I guess just tell your grandma to wear a mask and social distance. Problem solved, right!?

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
I mean that's great buddy but unfortunately you need to understand the world you live in.
Call them selfish, stupid, weak, all you want, that's not going to change the people's behavior.
My parent's sole purpose in life right now is to see and spend as much time with their grandchildren. Remove that from them and they have very little to live for. So, you can name them whatever you want, say the kids will be fine, etc, nothing is going to change what matters most to them.

That's just not true anymore. I'm not seeing any strangers. Who will I infect? The cashier at the grocery?? Or the guy waiting in line at the drug store?? We are all wearing masks and keep social distances, so..really...what are the odds I would actually infect him?
I know people who even had to quarantine together for 14 days yet only one of them caught the virus throughout.
So this rhetoric about infecting strangers just doesn't hold as much power anymore mate.

I think it might be you who needs to come to grasp with reality. Ya, people are stupid, selfish, weak, welcome to the World. Now you can complain and insult those people all day, or you can figure out a better way to control the virus despite these people, because they're not going anywhere either.

You want me to figure out how to control the virus? Lol
It's already been figured out brother. You've just been fighting it like crazy.

Check it.

Wear a mask, social distance, suck it up and come to grips with the fact that life is not what it used to be.

Life is not what it used to be. Deal with it, or own your selfishness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad