OT: Covid-19 (Part 31) Alone Again... (Warning post#787)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
My adventures checking out the iPhone 12 in St. John's.

Went to Telus store in the mall, barricades up and they had a table set up with gallon pump bottles of hand sanitizers. Nothing to see here, folks.

Went to Roger's, I could walk in but no phones on display.

Walmart, next, dummy models of old phones and then later in the week went to a bigger Walmart on the outskirts of town they had a couple of iPhones, the SE and XR working models on display.

Was going by Best Buy thought I'd go in and they had all the current iPhones on display and working.

This makes no sense to me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I mean, I have said it several times now. There are parties every day in student apartments. I know people who work at McGill and many of my employees have friends still in school. People are still getting together. Many of us are sacrificing but just as many do not give a shit and are partying with friends like nothing has changed.

That was happening the first time around too though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yup, I hope they all get fined.

These idiots don't get they are hurting people physically(from virus), emotionally and psychologically(from isolation) and damaging the economy.

It's incredibly selfish. I get 1 friend but these big groups are stupid.

Being stupid is part of college life, so is partying. As bad as it is, I can't blame those kids. Some live in tiny dorms, even sharing it, I'd probably want be out as much as possible too.

Reactions: kgboomer

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Got to do my first Covid test today. Unpleasant. I have a light fever (38.2) and coughing, but not a lot. I usually feel that way when I have a cold. They told me up to 5 days for the results. Now, my wife has to miss work. Not fun.

Hopefully it's a cold only. Take care and rest and drink some chicken soup.. :thumbu:

Reactions: Runner77

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
This is a combination of people being irresponsible and gov'ts (at any level - federal, provincial and municipal) not having balls and most importantly competency (one just need to watch a bit of Q&A to see that) to have any kind of strategy and most importantly impose a set of rules for as long as it takes. The rules that would MAKE people stay home. Random fines here and there won't do it.

so this is going to be a new way of life for a long long time, possibly forever, unless there is someone up there the grows a pair and really gets tough with everyone. People, employers, banks, etc etc...

Exactly. The only countries that have seemingly won their battle against the virus imposed and enforced very strict measures.

In most countries, half measures are implemented just so the health system can manage until the miraculous vaccine arrives.

And now it may be too late to try the stricter measures because the population is fed up.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Being stupid is part of college life, so is partying. As bad as it is, I can't blame those kids. Some live in tiny dorms, even sharing it, I'd probably want be out as much as possible too.

Again, I understand wanting to see a friend or two but partying?

If being stupid is part of college life then college aged students shouldn't be considered adults who can make adult decisions.

A party is not the same as seeing a friend.

Restaurants have been open. You could've went for walks or seen things outdoors all summer.

The one restriction was big gatherings. That simple.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Again, I understand wanting to see a friend or two but partying?

If being stupid is part of college life then college aged students shouldn't be considered adults who can make adult decisions.

A party is not the same as seeing a friend.

Restaurants have been open. You could've went for walks or seen things outdoors all summer.

The one restriction was big gatherings. That simple.

Sure, not excusing them, just saying, partying is a big part of college life. There's also a lot of peer pressure.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Exactly. The only countries that have seemingly won their battle against the virus imposed and enforced very strict measures.

In most countries, half measures are implemented just so the health system can manage until the miraculous vaccine arrives.

And now it may be too late to try the stricter measures because the population is fed up.
Hey, we don't want to impede on anyone's human rights do we? ;)

Reactions: zx81

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I lived in a dorm five years ago. Yeah, I get it, but big gatherings are not hard to avoid at all and in my early twenties I would have the sense to avoid it in a global academic, even if I too did stupid shit in my time. But never that f***ing stupid. f*** them. The dorms should be monitored. And it's not just students. You can go to Parc Jeanne-Meance any given day (especially now that it's nice out) and see a ton of adults hanging out without social distancing. It's unbelievable. I walk with my wife yesterday and hear this girl talking on the phone. She's going to her friend's house, inviting the person she's talking with and telling that person to tell another person to come. People simply do not care.

Reactions: covfefe

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
That was happening the first time around too though.

First time around the virus was mostly in long term care homes.

This time it is very prevalent in the general community, particularly in the 20-30 age group. When university started up again all the parties did too. I am telling you, that's what sparked it. After that it spread out of control because too many people don't give a shit and are still getting together. It didn't take long for the 20-30 year olds to spread it to friends/family/coworkers.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Cases have skyrocketed in BC in the last couple weeks after being one of the success stories for a long time relative to other populated Canadian provinces.

The last count I saw was 567 new cases. The rise is currently exponential.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Cases have skyrocketed in BC in the last couple weeks after being one of the success stories for a long time relative to other populated Canadian provinces.

The last count I saw was 567 new cases. The rise is currently exponential.

Did you see those videos from Granville on Halloween? I have no faith in people.

Last night, was watching UND-Clemson (which was a truly fantastic game). UND wins in double OT and 1000's storm the field. It was just mind-boggling:

Notre-Dame-1040x572.jpg

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I lived in a dorm five years ago. Yeah, I get it, but big gatherings are not hard to avoid at all and in my early twenties I would have the sense to avoid it in a global academic, even if I too did stupid shit in my time. But never that f***ing stupid. f*** them. The dorms should be monitored. And it's not just students. You can go to Parc Jeanne-Meance any given day (especially now that it's nice out) and see a ton of adults hanging out without social distancing. It's unbelievable. I walk with my wife yesterday and hear this girl talking on the phone. She's going to her friend's house, inviting the person she's talking with and telling that person to tell another person to come. People simply do not care.

Is it really unbelievable? Talk to a lot of these people, you will notice that they're willing to take the chances and everybody they meet understands this. When my mom gives a hug to her grandson, she understands there's always a risk he has it, she knows he sees his friends, etc, and she knows she could give it to my father after if she were to get it, or me.

I'm sure there are some super careless/selfish people who act like this virus doesn't exist but most people are just fed up and they're fine with taking a risk.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Did you see those videos from Granville on Halloween? I have no faith in people.

Last night, was watching UND-Clemson (which was a truly fantastic game). UND wins in double OT and 1000's storm the field. It was just mind-boggling:

Notre-Dame-1040x572.jpg

Yeah, I did see those images on Granville. I remember thinking that this won't help the case count, but I think the number had begun to take a notable rise even before Halloween.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
First time around the virus was mostly in long term care homes.

This time it is very prevalent in the general community, particularly in the 20-30 age group. When university started up again all the parties did too. I am telling you, that's what sparked it. After that it spread out of control because too many people don't give a shit and are still getting together. It didn't take long for the 20-30 year olds to spread it to friends/family/coworkers.

Well I've been saying schools are what set it off from the start of the 2nd wave so ya not surprised.
Apparently from the government, there's also been big outbreaks in the manufacturing industry.

Solution...close gyms and cinemas :facepalm:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You mean closing gyms and cinemas isn't helping much? Wow...who would have thought..:facepalm:

Considering the numbers are growing fast everywhere and not here.....I wouldn't make that call.
One thing is for sure........letting them open won't make things any better, that's for sure.

(And honestly, Cinema don't have anything to show anyway)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Considering the numbers are growing fast everywhere and not here.....I wouldn't make that call.
One thing is for sure........letting them open won't make things any better, that's for sure.

Either close pretty much everything like the first time around, or leave it all open with different measures.
I don't really see the point otherwise. Can't have 2 buddies over but we can go shop for 5 hours together...makes sense. Not.

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
Cases are exploding where I am in Northern Ontario. People are fed up. Everyone is fatigued. The 51% doesn't give a shit anymore which is enough for things to get bad. Honestly, even as someone who has taken this very seriously, my mental health is seriously deteriorating. Another 6 - 12 months without dating, seeing friends, or doing anything aside from work, at-home exercise, reading, and screwing around on the internet seems impossible.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

If the only rationale for closing businesses is to stem the tide, make it a rotation. Open restaurants, close the malls. Open gyms, close SAQ outlets. Give sectors a chance to survive instead of sacrificing the same ones.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Either close pretty much everything like the first time around, or leave it all open with different measures.
I don't really see the point otherwise. Can't have 2 buddies over but we can go shop for 5 hours together...makes sense. Not.

Where do you think this is going? We'll see, but I was expecting our cases to start rising.....like it did everywhere else.
I just hope it won't explode like in the US, France or Italy.

You have think about the economy also in this....that's why they won't shut down everything.

Cases are exploding where I am in Northern Ontario. People are fed up. Everyone is fatigued. The 51% doesn't give a shit anymore which is enough for things to get bad. Honestly, even as someone who has taken this very seriously, my mental health is seriously deteriorating. Another 6 - 12 months without dating, seeing friends, or doing anything aside from work, at-home exercise, reading, and screwing around on the internet seems impossible.

Canada needs hockey.....everything is easier with hockey.
But you still can be happy to be on this side of the botrder

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Well there's a reason some things are open and will remain open.

Closing businesses means people don't get paid(at least not in full).

You not going to your friend's isn't quite the same.

That said there's a lot of things they'll need to tweak to make this work. The current approach is not working so they need to really drop people down to the bare essentials for the economy and basic needs.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
At first I thought “okay, feels like a flu”

Now I realize it’s very different.

it’s a persistent virus. I feel like when you think got it beat it comes up with a new symptom to give you.

example: woke up this morning feeling like I was getting stabbed in the chest 100 times. I have never ran for the Tylenol faster in my life.
Oy. Hopefully it levels off soon. Just think -- once you're recovered you officially earn your immunity badge!

Makes me want to revisit getting the antibody test. Pretty sure I got it at the beginning of March, but it came and went and was forgotten about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad